Customs duty on carrying Home Theatre from UK

ipsanand

Hey guys,

Need quick advice. I am traveling from UK to Delhi tonight (returning from a fortnight of vacation) and am carrying alongwith a 5.1 AVR system (Dali 3, Dali 1, Dali SW, Dali Center, Denon 2300). Got a deal of 1200 GBP (~INR 1 lakh). I've got it billed it on mine and my wife's name, even split. The weight of the stuff is within our baggage allowance.

My question is

- Should I declare it in red or green channel?
- Is duty applicable? If so what's the calculation formula?

Sorry have scanned online, but haven't found an appropriate answer.

Appreciate if someone can please advise ASAP. I catch my flight in 15 hours..:licklips:

Thanks..!

My experience.
50k per head is the limit
I tried to declare at red channel saying i have 30k worth of equipment but was kicked out :D
This was in chennai
Keep your documentation bills handy
If you see any of your bags marked with some chalk marks, then going to the red channel is strongly recommended.
Also, if you paid vat get it refunded. - there is a process, Google for it

Go through the green channel and walk confidently like it's your 5th trip in the month... The customs guys are busy looking for Gold these days and don't bother at home theatres...

Hey guys,

Need quick advice. I am traveling from UK to Delhi tonight (returning from a fortnight of vacation) and am carrying alongwith a 5.1 AVR system (Dali 3, Dali 1, Dali SW, Dali Center, Denon 2300). Got a deal of 1200 GBP (~INR 1 lakh). I've got it billed it on mine and my wife's name, even split. The weight of the stuff is within our baggage allowance.

My question is

- Should I declare it in red or green channel?
- Is duty applicable? If so what's the calculation formula?

Sorry have scanned online, but haven't found an appropriate answer.

Appreciate if someone can please advise ASAP. I catch my flight in 15 hours..:licklips:

Thanks..!

That's great deal.. They ideally shouldn't stop you if you have split the bill.. But they may be attracted to AVR, but not the speakers..

The current limit is 45K.. Anything above the limit is bound to attract duty. But is hit (or) miss most of the time..

Good luck..

if the billing is done on 2 persons, you may get through without paying any customs or you may have to pay a nominal amount. its all your luck.. All the best

Hey thanks. Will follow your advice.

Yup, I'm going for the VAT refund. Will make the cost of purchase ~90K :yahoo:

Issue is that per head the cost is ~52K INR including VAT. Had it been less than 50K, would have been a no-brainer for me, to walk through Green..!

My experience.
50k per head is the limit
I tried to declare at red channel saying i have 30k worth of equipment but was kicked out :D
This was in chennai
Keep your documentation bills handy
If you see any of your bags marked with some chalk marks, then going to the red channel is strongly recommended.
Also, if you paid vat get it refunded. - there is a process, Google for it

Hey thanks..!

Just one question - is the duty only on the amount >50K, or on the total amount?

Best!

That's great deal.. They ideally shouldn't stop you if you have split the bill.. But they may be attracted to AVR, but not the speakers..

The current limit is 45K.. Anything above the limit is bound to attract duty. But is hit (or) miss most of the time..

Good luck..

Awesome advice..! Will follow that..:)

No need. Keep your bills etc handy, just in case.

As soon as you collect your luggage, get hold of a porter, offer him 10-20 sterling pounds (they have a penchant for foreign currency) and he will get you thru like a breeze. No need to explain anything.

No need. Keep your bills etc handy, just in case.

As soon as you collect your luggage, get hold of a porter, offer him 10-20 sterling pounds (they have a penchant for foreign currency) and he will get you thru like a breeze. No need to explain anything.
I strongly offend this practice and advice not to follow this. If we so called educated people are not following rules then don't expect anything from others.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hey all, updating my experience at T3 Delhi.

I made all my customs papers disclosing 60K INR each for me and wife. And walked through the Green Channel. No one bothered to check, though we had 5 boxes of HT stuff.

That means the effective price of the system is 87K (with VAT refund). I am really happy with the deal.

Busy configuring the system as I type.

Thanks all for your prompt and helpful advice.

Best

I made all my customs papers disclosing 60K INR each for me and wife. And walked through the Green Channel. No one bothered to check, though we had 5 boxes of HT stuff.

That means the effective price of the system is 87K (with VAT refund). I am really happy with the deal.

Best

Congratulations on successfully purchasing and carrying home equipment of your choice

Congrats for making it. On my last trip I was carrying some drivers and crossover kit, @mumbai airport that bag was marked with chalk and had to face the entire customs guys.

Best

Best
Congratulations, do set it up & review the combo briefly with your initial experience if possible. Preferably in a separate thread with pictures etc.

Indeed.

My initial impressions - Dali is sweet, love it. Prefer it to Monitor Audio - I already have a Bronze 2 FS which I find hard on ears (sharper highs) compared to Dali. Mids and Lows on Dali are awesome..!

Opted for the 9 inch SW instead of 12 inch - find it sufficient for my 14x14 room.

The Denon x2300 is feature heavy - still haven't explored it enough.

Congratulations, do set it up & review the combo briefly with your initial experience if possible. Preferably in a separate thread with pictures etc.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back