DAC+AVR or Stereo Amplifier

forever.pramod

After a short break, I am planning for some add-on to my current HT setup for stereo listening. I am extremely happy with my Zensor 7 + Denon X 2000 + PCH-A410 for movies, but in stereo listening dept it never make me pleased.

So, can anyone please suggest me, should I buy a separate DAC and connect it to my AVR or a separate stereo amp will be better option?

For info - PCH-A410 has a DAC with following configuration.

2 Channel Audio: ESS technology ES9023P Sabre 24/192
112dB DNR

So, how much a separate DAC will improve the SQ as compared to the DAC of PCH-A410 having above configuration, if I buy a separate DAC (https://www.headphonezone.in/products/schiit-modi-multibit in my mind)

Last edited:
Stand alone DAC may not improve much if used with AVR. If you want to see more clarity and improvement in sound then you have to pair stand alone DAC with stereo amp.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Try Marantz integrated amp or Marantz AVR with zensors and see the difference. It's like night and day. Again somebody may argue about tweaking the AVR.
Your best bet would be that.
From my past experience, when I moved on to Marantz SR 5008 from Denon avr1610 i felt it really.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

After a short break, I am planning for some add-on to my current HT setup for stereo listening. I am extremely happy with my Zensor 7 + Denon X 2000 + PCH-A410 for movies, but in stereo listening dept it never make me pleased.

So, can anyone please suggest me, should I buy a separate DAC and connect it to my AVR or a separate stereo amp will be better option?

For info - PCH-A410 has a DAC with following configuration.

2 Channel Audio: ESS technology ES9023P Sabre 24/192
112dB DNR

So, how much a separate DAC will improve the SQ as compared to the DAC of PCH-A410 having above configuration, if I buy a separate DAC (https://www.headphonezone.in/products/schiit-modi-multibit in my mind)

Connect Analogue out from PCH to Denon AVR, and use it in pure direct mode.. Play a song, switch between HDMI & Analogue inputs of Denon AVR and observe any difference if any..

Connect Analogue out from PCH to Denon AVR, and use it in pure direct mode.. Play a song, switch between HDMI & Analogue inputs of Denon AVR and observe any difference if any..

I have already tried it. switching to PURE DIRECT mode seems like LIFELESS to me. I didn't find any difference between the DAC of AVR and that of PCH.

While using DAC of PCH, how much conneting cable matters? And could you please suggest me any RCA to RCA connecting cable please ?

I didn't find any difference between the DAC of AVR and that of PCH.

Then most likely you may not find difference between a standalone DAC with AVR..

I have already tried it. switching to PURE DIRECT mode seems like LIFELESS to me.

You already have a sub in place, have you tried using them for music.. I mean 2.1 in stereo mode ?

Hope you would have already completed Audyssey calibration.. If so, set your fronts to "Small", change to "LFE" under bass management & try using Audyssey "Flat" under sound.. (Disengage Dynamic EQ & Vol)..

While using DAC of PCH, how much conneting cable matters? And could you please suggest me any RCA to RCA connecting cable please ?

Have never used the expensive cables.. Just the basic MX cables..So no idea on that..

The first step for your stereo listening is to add a stereo amplifier, add a DAC after a while. Do not worry about cables and ICs now, that is a long long way away, adding a quality amplifier will get you the biggest difference at this point.

Since you have stereo preouts in your AVR (although as Zone 2), you should be able to use a stereo power amp. You really do not need an integrated stereo amp. Will save you money, and a power amp will give you the high current output you need to drive your speakers with authority.

If possible, do try borrowing a power amp (or auditioning at home) - it should easily fit in your existing setup.

I doubt a power amp would do any good, other than better amplification.

Best bet would be to add a DAC & integrated amp or take it slow by just adding an int. amp. A stereo amplifier does make a huge impact for music listening right from the basic ones. Since youve got a Dali Zensor 7, it would be easy to hunt for an int. amp as most demo rooms would have them and you could take a call by trying different amps.

Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back