• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Dac/Headphone Amp

Wharfedale Speakers

drgb

I sold my portable rig sometime ago but last week i got myslef a pair of hd600 which were on sale in a shop in NY. The price was too Irresistible to beat and i purchased them (~12k INR).
Anyway, now i am looking for a dac/amp for it. I have no set expectations other than it should have a good dac section (amp can be not too powerful and i will be okay with that since i listen to music at lower dbs).
It can be portable/TT, dont matter. I can also go for a stack. Will prefer to buy used as i will be in India by the end of this month.
Will also appreciate any advice on new gear.
Thanks for helping!

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

drgb

Hehhe. Thats a bit above my budget. Looking to score something below 40k. Thats why want to go for a dac/amp combo.
I'm hearing good things about the jotunheim and some audio gd dac amps.
Any experiance with audio gd??

eastofthesun

Hi, honestly i have no experience with headphone amp/DAC. I came across the woo firefly in one of my visits abroad and it piqued my interest. I don't do any listening on headphones. But if you ar elooking at a long time investment im sure it would be worth the stretch.
Cheers!
Anand

kartikay

Jotunheim has bright tonality which may not suit HD600.. Though i know someone looking to sell Jot at good price. I would avoid audio-gd dac/amps unless you can demo it yourself as QA issues are there and not much consistency between the units.

drgb

Right now i'm looking at:
1. Schiit stack (modi/magni3)
2. Aune x1s
3. Schiit Jotenheim (bit expensive)
4. Audio gd r2r-11
5. Maverick audio tubemagic d1plus

Any opinions? Have never heard any of the above.

kartikay

From above list i would only recommend modi/magni3 stack and Jot (if you are ok with bright signature). Aune X1s is not worth even if someone gives it for free. Maverick audio tubemagic d1plus is a DAC which also has a headphone out so mostly its amp section wont be decent quality (they themselves dont market it as DAC/Amp).

drgb

Aune X1s is not worth even if someone gives it for free.

Hmmm, pity i was considering it quite a bit. Besides most people seem to like it a lot. Has consistent ratings from reviewers and users alike. Did you own this?
Anyway, i have local pal from the sa audio group who has both the jot and the aune. Will be auditioning when i reach home.
Is there any other dac/amp missing from the list?

drgb

Hi, honestly i have no experience with headphone amp/DAC. I came across the woo firefly in one of my visits abroad and it piqued my interest. I don't do any listening on headphones. But if you ar elooking at a long time investment im sure it would be worth the stretch.
Cheers!
Anand
True that. But this time im not overstepping my budget.

kartikay

Hmmm, pity i was considering it quite a bit. Besides most people seem to like it a lot. Has consistent ratings from reviewers and users alike. Did you own this?
Anyway, i have local pal from the sa audio group who has both the jot and the aune. Will be auditioning when i reach home.
Is there any other dac/amp missing from the list?
I didnt own it but had demoed it extensively as a friend had it with him.. Headphones i tested at that time with it were HE-500, HD650 and Magnum v4.. It was able to drive all 3 to decent volume but dynamics were missing and frankly it didnt feel an upgrade over my macbook headphone out. if you are still interested then there is one available for sale. :)
For HD6x0 i would also recommend a tube amp but most of the good ones will cost a lot but matching those amps with planars is another big task..

drgb

I didnt own it but had demoed it extensively as a friend had it with him.. Headphones i tested at that time with it were HE-500, HD650 and Magnum v4.. It was able to drive all 3 to decent volume but dynamics were missing and frankly it didnt feel an upgrade over my macbook headphone out. if you are still interested then there is one available for sale. :)
For HD6x0 i would also recommend a tube amp but most of the good ones will cost a lot but matching those amps with planars is another big task..
Thats quite an observation. Will definitely like to verify this.
Does your friend want to sell his?? I would be interested.

akhilkhanuja

I sold my portable rig sometime ago but last week i got myslef a pair of hd600 which were on sale in a shop in NY. The price was too Irresistible to beat and i purchased them (~12k INR).
Anyway, now i am looking for a dac/amp for it. I have no set expectations other than it should have a good dac section (amp can be not too powerful and i will be okay with that since i listen to music at lower dbs).
It can be portable/TT, dont matter. I can also go for a stack. Will prefer to buy used as i will be in India by the end of this month.
Will also appreciate any advice on new gear.
Thanks for helping!

I have an Arcam rdac with wireless dongle. Box, manual etc all available. Shipping OK. I'm from mumbai. Pls pm.

drgb

Okay, did some more digging around.
Our phones have relatively decent dacs these days and i'm not utterly disappointed with my phones sq. It does lack power to drive decent headphones to listenable volume and dynamics.
Having said that, would it be dumb to go for a good headphone amplifier alone rather than a dac amp combo? Will use the mobile phone to output to the amp directly via the 3.5mm headphone out. What say?
I say this coz I happen to be getting some good headphone amps but no decent amp/dac options. Besides i have a killer rig at home so i think the headphone amp will shine once it is fed by the main system.
Any opinions?

drgb

Perhaps an Ifi IDSD Micro might float your boat?
You have one to sell? If yes please pm me the details! Thanks :)
A new one is almost the cost of the schiit stack; infact a lot of other capable combos. Since i dont care for portability, i wanna go for a solution which has the best sq:value ratio.
Anyway, currently looking at a used jotunheim.

saheb11123

I have a saphire headphone amp, which I don't have any use for now that I have moved from headphones listening to speakers.
They are very well designed and highly rated and not that costly too. Downside is that its just an amp. But I also have a ak4490 dac which pairs with this perfectly.

drgb

Hey everyone. After some extensive hunting and listening, i have ordered the aune x7s headphone amplifier. Auditioned quite a few dacs and amps and dac/amps. This one paired with a modi multibit ploughed through every other set i heard (including the schiit jotunheim multibit). I had the aune x7s play from other dacs as well and it did not take much time to decide. The x7s is soo velvety smooth that other amps felt pale and lifeless in comparison. The biggest surprise was the schiit jotunheim which was not even in the same league as the aune. It sounded rough and grainy with a fair bit of sharpness to it (eventhough it had more power than the aune at same gain). Even the audeze deckard was only a close second. To my surprise i was not even aware of the price of the x7s (which i was initially confusing with the aune s6). One cannot find better amplification at twice or thrice the price.

drgb

From above list i would only recommend modi/magni3 stack and Jot (if you are ok with bright signature). Aune X1s is not worth even if someone gives it for free. Maverick audio tubemagic d1plus is a DAC which also has a headphone out so mostly its amp section wont be decent quality (they themselves dont market it as DAC/Amp).
You were right on the money about the jot. Very bright. First i thought it was my headphones. Set upon set i tested and same result. Magni modi sounded nice esp the magni 3 with the mimby but mimby with aune x7s was just something else. Nothing even came close.

I only missed to audition the x1s since i was looking for an integrated solution. The guy who owned it had already sold his as he had upgraded to the audeze which i listened to. But anyway, the x7s was good enough and this time around i wasnt going to fall for the same trap as i had fallen for the mojo! Hehhe.