DAC to go with Luxman 505UX and Q Acoustics Concept 40s

thedude

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Luxman 505UX (integrated) to go along with my Q Acoustics Concept 40s. And now looking for a (used) DAC. My budget is ₹70k but can be stretched up to ₹100k.

I listen to almost all genres of music, but enjoy contemporary jazz, vocals, acoustic, and old school heavy metal the most. Mostly western, but rarely listen to regional Indian music too. I like warm vocals, sparkling highs, tight bass (not a bass-head) and a bit of bite in the music. And it would be nice to have DSD playback but not mandatory (I have a large local collection of FLACs and DSDs).

I’m not sure yet if I prefer a NOS or an Oversampling DAC. The DACs I tried so far are:
  • Parasound HINT5 (a bit harsh on the highs in my setup)
  • Chord 2Qute (likes the details, but was a bit clinical and made me a teeny bit uneasy)
  • North Star Excelsio (this is the one I like the most so far.I enjoy the details, vocals are good, sparkling highs and bass is tight. Pairs well with Luxman and the speakers)
  • Schiit Gungnir Multibit (heard it in a different setup with Magnepans and Vidars. the best highs and vocals I have heard yet. but not sure how detailed it would be compared to North Star)
  • AMR 777SE (pros are bigger soundstage than Northstar, lovely warm tube sound signature. but it’s a bit too smooth without bite in the current setup)
  • RME ADI-2 DAC (haven’t listened to it. but did some homework vs Chord Qutest and thought Chord might be bit more detailed with better layering)
  • Chord Qutest (haven’t heard. but from my research and local FMs experiences…North Star seems better)
  • Metrum Amethyst (going to try next week)
Here are my favourite tracks:
  1. Diana Krall (Temptation, No moon at all)
  2. Billie Eilish (Copycat)
  3. Nils Lofgren (Keith don’t go)
  4. Petra Magoni/Musica Nuda (I will survive, Roxane)
  5. Uakti (Trilobita Solo 2)
  6. Holly Cole (I don’t wanna grow up)
  7. Marian Hill (Breathe into me)
  8. Pan-Pot (Kepler)
  9. Yello (The expert, Kiss in blue)
  10. Chris Jones (Roadhouses & automobiles)
  11. Connie Evingson (Wait)
  12. Muddy Waters (My home is the delta)
  13. Joe Bonamassa (high water everywhere)
  14. Malia/Boris Blank (Celestial echo, electrified)
  15. Ana Moura (Os Buzios)
  16. Dead can dance (The ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove, song of the stars)
  17. Sean Rowe (I’ll follow your trail)
  18. London Grammar (Hey Now, Strong)
  19. You are wolf (As sylvie was walking)
Would warmly welcome and appreciate any suggestions for appropriate DACs. Lemme know if should mention any more details.

PS: Please PM me if anything is available for sale which meets above criteria. I'm in Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance!

-The Dude

Last edited by a moderator:
Do try and listen to a Soekris dac. With a good power supply, it tracks the sound signature you described. Invention audio had a commercial DAC based in the board, not sure if they still do. A DIY version would be well within your budget

Edit: Also try out the new acoustic portrait DAC. A bit above your budget thought

Last edited:
thanks Jai...will look it up

Thought I would add a bit more context to narrow down what I'm looking for: HINT5 is the DAC/AMP that I used the most. I was super super tempted to get it...and...the rest of the story is as below....

Here is what I liked about the HINT5:
- good all round device with quite a bit of detail and resolution
- It's amp section is superb with punchy and tight bass. Worth every penny
- vocals are warm (not tube warm)
- sparkling highs. Example: I loveeeee those chimes in Radha Kaise NS Jale, and the HINT5 makes then sound almost as good as the Gungnir multibit and Magnepans combo I have heard (but at bit higher volumes). No other combo came close. Period!
- My speakers are smooth and adding tube DACs/AMPs would have made the combo too mellow and boring. Where as the HINT5 had a bit of a bite and was like a constant supply of 5-hour energy to the Concept 40s...lol....there was never a dull moment with the combo :) they paired quite well.

I harped on the idea of getting the HINT5 for almost a month, but didn't. Here is why:
1. I had a higher budget
2. And hence I wanted to go the separates route
3. After those chimes in Radha Kaise Na Jale, the thing I enjoy the most - acoustic guitar. And rarely when a track is full of such sharp strings (EX: Keith don't go by nils lofgren) I found myself turning down the treble a tiny bit. May be because the Concept 40s are a lil bit bright. But if you are some one that likes sharp strings that you can not only hear but feel...HINT5 is a good choice. But it was a teeny bit much for my speakers and I also like smooth sound.

Hope this narrows down further :)

@thedude you seem to prefer Sabre based DACs (both the North Star and the Parasound use those chips) in your current setup. The chipset has a slight bite in the treble, which you are looking for. Suggest you try out another couple of those. The new Acoustic Portrait ones fit the bill. I’m sure there would be many other options as well as a lot of new DACs use this chipset. There was a listing on the forum for a used Auralic Vega, which may be worth checking out.

@thedude you seem to prefer Sabre based DACs (both the North Star and the Parasound use those chips) in your current setup. The chipset has a slight bite in the treble, which you are looking for. Suggest you try out another couple of those. The new Acoustic Portrait ones fit the bill. I’m sure there would be many other options as well as a lot of new DACs use this chipset. There was a listing on the forum for a used Auralic Vega, which may be worth checking out.

thanks, Jai. will check out the Acoustic Portrait DACs. I tested the Gungnir Multibit and Metrum Amethyst too and found the Metrum to be more musical whereas the Gungnir does across the spectrum so well.

When I was trying to look up the specs, I realised the company may have gone belly up. Is this true?

When I was trying to look up the specs, I realised the company may have gone belly up. Is this true?
Yes. It’s a shame these hand made dacs aren’t available anymore.

Northstar has one of the best implementation of ESS I have ever heard. It can compete with well regarded R2R dacs toady.

Yes. It’s a shame these hand made dacs aren’t available anymore.

Northstar has one of the best implementation of ESS I have ever heard. It can compete with well regarded R2R dacs toady.
I concur. Very sad to hear this. Some of the very best DAC's I heard and owned at any price point.
Cheers,
Sid

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back