Dali Kubik One - owner's feedback?

milestoneseeker

Hi,

Wanted to check on the forum if anyone has a feedback on Dali's Kubik One after living with it?

After years of having FS and the usual array of equipment which go along with a set up, I crave for a simple and clean set up. I have found the reviews of Kubik One to be very enticing.

Cheers
MSS

Reviews sound good but it is a PRICEY piece of kit :) !!

Better than buying a Blumenhofer and Trigon kit plus a really nice DAC :sad: I realized the upgraditis is exponentially more expensive and I doubt I would do justice to the set up with the time I get with my schedule.

Better than buying a Blumenhofer and Trigon kit plus a really nice DAC :sad: I realized the upgraditis is exponentially more expensive and I doubt I would do justice to the set up with the time I get with my schedule.
Yes of course, spending has to be proportional to the use

Not the same comparison,
But I have recently changed jobs and cities and it has almost obliterated the time I can devote to portable audio.
I was really looking forward to upgrading to the new Fiio X5 and buying new AKG headphones.

But have put off purchases, because I just won't be able to use them for any reasonable time.

About the product at hand, I completely get the attraction of having an uncomplicated, good looking, compact solution.
And I am Dali fan, God knows :D
But the pricing is like their Kubik BT speakers. Just too high...

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

It's a price I am willing to pay as I am looking in absolutes and not relative (to other compact solutions).

The fact that Kubik One is still fundamentally a 2 channel set up and comes with a great in-built DAC, not to mention the Dali legacy, has pretty much firmed up my mind. However, always curious to hear owners' feedback as compared to reviewers'.

Though, I must say, I have not yet come across a single negative review minus the price which gives me comfort. The dealer in Bangalore is not sure by when will he get a demo piece but as I am not in a hurry so happy to wait for some time.

Last edited:
I have pulled the trigger on Kubik One and hope to get it in the next 3 weeks. Will be pairing it with Oppo UDP-203 (due by early next week) for all of my media playback plus my Chromecast which will be plugged into the UDP-203. Fingers crossed and very excited to be move into a lesser wired world :)

Someone whose ears I trust told me it sounds great. Hopefully your purchase and review after first hand use will further that impression.

I have pulled the trigger on Kubik One and hope to get it in the next 3 weeks. Will be pairing it with Oppo UDP-203 (due by early next week) for all of my media playback plus my Chromecast which will be plugged into the UDP-203. Fingers crossed and very excited to be move into a lesser wired world :)

Congratulations!

Yes, the idea of a simplified setup appeals quite a bit to me too.

Are these available in India? what's the ball park price?

Again......congratulations. Do chip in with a review once you get them.

Best,
apk

Thanks both.

Yes, both of the components are available in India and I am purchasing them through India dealers route to remain on the safe side of warranties & support. I am buying both of them from Final Touch (Aakash) here in Bangalore.

The MRPs for Kubik One and UDP-203 are 1,05,000 and 75,000 respectively. You can safely allow for a discount of 7-10% on the MRPs.

Will post my review once the set up is done and listened to for a week!

kubik one is a thing of beauty.

I have been using it for a year now and absolutely will recommend to anyone who can shell out those extra bucks.

I use it in my befroom and in my living room inuse the bose soundtouch 130.

I also believe i simplicity and clean looks.

The soundbar is now with the local dealer and I will be collecting it sometime today by bunking office in between :yahoo: Will post first impressions soon.

Absolute initial impressions from the limited time I got yesterday night:

The sound stage absolutely defies the size of the soundbar! I was shocked at how large the soundbar sounds and I believe a lot of the credit goes to the commendable active speaker set up KubikOne is.

The speaker is not all bright (which was one of my concerns) and mids shine. I could play only a couple of songs from Adele as well as bollywood number of Ai Dil Hai Mushkil. Adele was played through the optical from Oppo 203 while the bollywood number was AptX'ed from my AK70 player. Really good depth to the mids with no harshness when pushed to louder volumes.

Will need to run more music now with the speaker booklet itself speaking of a 50 hour break in. Very curious to check out classic rock and jazz. Plus the litmus test of old bollywood music which will immediately bring out any inherent harshness.

The bass is more than adequate. There are three settings for bass including a "normal" plus two bass boost modes. I find the bass boost makes the bass a bit wooly. It is not bad and does not overshadow the mids but it is not like the Blumenhofer's Big Fun 17 fast bass :) Oh well, one can't have everything in the world :)

Consider these my immediate 30 mins impressions and I hope to understand the speakers better over next one week.

Overall, I am really pleased at this buy especially considering I bought it blind! I now need to set it up with my TV.

Some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_20170620_201817.jpg
    IMG_20170620_201817.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20170620_202333.jpg
    IMG_20170620_202333.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20170620_205314.jpg
    IMG_20170620_205314.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 125
Now that it has been some time with the KubikOne, sharing my listening impressions further. Firstly, the music:

One of the reasons I had dialed back on listening to music in the recent past was the act of firing up all of the chain before settling down to listen. It may be actually as simple as switching on all the electronics but with time at a premium, it had cut into the hobby. Now, armed with the all in one box of KubikOne which requires me to only either plug in a CD in my UDP203 or even better, connect with my AK70 through AptX - I am actually listening to more music :)

The signature is very different from my previous Paradigm speakers as KubikOne is definitely more mellow. However, the good part is that it is mellow without becoming a Wharfedale. The vocals still are plenty clear and do not sound recessed. With the multiple bass settings, I can adjust the bass to my liking without it becoming over powering. Even with the "movie" mode equivalent setting, the bass is never boomy. I think the active pairing has been done very well. Since it is a sound bar, the imaging is limited and the speakers do not disappear. It does not affect my listening as I have a listening spot but for those who prefer a spatial imaging, it may be worthwhile checking.

There is no particular preference of its signature as I have listened to Jazz, metal, rock, bad hindi classic CDs. You name it. If anything, it has made the old hindi classics from Kishore Kumar so much tolerable despite the bad recordings. They always sound bright on my Paradigm set up.

However, do note that sound is not small in spite of the limited imaging and the speakers punch above their weight, or size in this case. They go plenty loud with distorting.

Sound for TV:

My previous Samsung LCD had really crappy speakers but my LG C7 actually has pretty decent speakers. I had listened to some YouTube videos of AC/DC on my TV speakers and the sound was pretty "large". However, KubikOne takes the movie experience multiple notches above. The bass is tight and adequate though a SW will come in the near future. The dialogues are clear and makes my AV set up so much more enjoyable.

In a nutshell, this speaker has revived my music listening habits through the sheer convenience it presents. It is so much cleaner with multitude of wires missing. It can never replace a really good tower set up but I will settle for a set up which I listen to more than just see more :)

It is a niche product purely in terms of it being tagged as a sound bar which comes across pricey. I see it as a pure active stereo set up which is significantly cheaper than a full blown set up I had initially planned for. Active speakers + good DAC + wireless/multiple source inputs = All within 1.1L :D

Thanks for the feedback. I do resonate with the fact that having a simpler but quality setup ensures that you actually use it. Had the same experience when my Naim Muso got home.
Did you consider any other options specially the ones with Atmos. I will also procure the C7 in the next few months and it will be setup in the hall and hence I want to avoid moving my HT setup there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I do resonate with the fact that having a simpler but quality setup ensures that you actually use it. Had the same experience when my Naim Muso got home.
Did you consider any other options specially the ones with Atmos. I will also procure the C7 in the next few months and it will be setup in the hall and hence I want to avoid moving my HT setup there.

Hi,

I did not look for Atmos relevant set up as I will never add satellite speakers in my current set up and I have only one AV set up at home (TVs in bedroom are a strict no-no for me). I did look up DynAudio's active wireless set up briefly but liked the compactness of KubikOne more.

Hi,

I did not look for Atmos relevant set up as I will never add satellite speakers in my current set up and I have only one AV set up at home (TVs in bedroom are a strict no-no for me). I did look up DynAudio's active wireless set up briefly but liked the compactness of KubikOne more.

For me also TV in a bedroom was a no no and have the HT setup in a dedicated room. But now with the kids growing up this needs to be used as a bedroom as well at the same time the urge for getting a larger screen is kicking in.
So the setup needs to either move to the hall which had been dismissed by the home minister due to wiring, too many components etc. Hence looking for a simpler setup with a soundbar plus a SW.
There are soundbars which claim to give Atmos fully contained within the bar without any need for satellite or ceiling sleakers. On paper looks to be quite attractive.

Ok, I get it. I read good reviews of the Yamaha soundbar (can't remember the model number) which had the atmos simulation. Let me dig up a recent What HiFi issue which had a compare. While What HiFi is the not best of an unbiased reviewer, the compare may be of help.

@danccc, the soundbar with an attempted Atmos config I was referring to is Samsung HW-K850. The Yamaha YSP-2700 topped it in terms of sonic presentation but it did not have Atmos.

You may look up the Samsung one but in my view, it may not sound as satisfying as it is probably trying to do too many things from a sound bar setup.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back