Dali Opticon 6, Vokal or something else for movies?

shaiju_o_thomas

Rebooting my speaker hunt mainly for movies.

I liked Dali Opticon 6 over the KEF Q750. Q Acoustics Concept 40 has good reviews. While I look for left and right speakers, I don't want the centre channel to be the weak link. Viewing/listening distance is ~11ft. Sub and surrounds will follow. All feedback and suggestions appreciated.

I liked Dali Opticon 6 over the KEF Q750. Q Acoustics Concept 40 has good reviews. While I look for left and right speakers, I don't want the centre channel to be the weak link. Viewing/listening distance is ~11ft. Sub and surrounds will follow. All feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Consider BS in place of FS, as you will anyways engage the crossover (80/90Hz) in AVR.. Add dual sub to get maximum oomph for low freq.. If possible, repeat the same BS as that of fronts all around the room, for center, surrounds as well as heights..

Thanks. That's a good suggestion and I thought about it too. Any recommendations for good bookshelf speakers for movies with equally good centre speaker?

Any recommendations for good bookshelf speakers for movies with equally good centre speaker?

A Co-axial center speaker is better than the horizontal MTM speaker, as it avoids some acoustic interference between drivers dispersion.. In that regard, you may consider KEF Q series 350 (BS) all around the room.. You may lay a single BS Q350 to its side so the height of the speaker doesn't not hinder the viewing experience..

The advantage of repeating the same speakers all around the room results is, identical speakers set-up, uniform sound stage across the room..

If for movies then Opticon or Rubicon LCR can be tried.

Thanks. What about using Dali Oberon 3 or Opticon 2 or Vokal or Q Acoustics 20 for all speakers? I heard KEF Q350 and didn’t like it as much as the Dali.

Please keep your suggestions flowing.

Last edited:
Anyone using Opticon or Zensor 7 for music?
I heard Dali Oberon 5, Opticon 2 and 5. Oberon 5 is good but Opticons are better. At least to my ears Opticon were noticeably more suited for music depending on space and money.

@RajithKumar @Naturelover @elangoas I will try Opticon 2 for all fronts or Opticon 5 paired with Vokal.

I liked the Dali Opticon sound. The problem (if at all) is they are all back ported. Right speaker will be in L-shaped corner. Left speaker has walls at least 20” to the left and back. The centre will be resting on AV unit with back close to wall.

It is a tricky placement. What would you suggest?

Anyone using Opticon or Zensor 7 for music?

I am using the combination of Zensor 7 and Vokal for more than a month. Sometimes I use the towers only for music. They are superb to my ears. I have not listened to KEF speakers but have auditioned most of the other major brands. What I like about the Zensors is that they are neutral sounding. You get to hear music as it should sound. Vocals are crystal clear for easy listening - like a Yesu Das or Jagjit Singh. They are brilliant for songs with good instrumentation - like Disco Deewane or Do naina aur ek kahani(Masoom).
Moreover, my neighbours are not complaining as the sounds are soothing. And as a matter of fact, I barely go above 62/63 on the receiver.

I am using the combination of Zensor 7 and Vokal for more than a month. Sometimes I use the towers only for music. They are superb to my ears. I have not listened to KEF speakers but have auditioned most of the other major brands. What I like about the Zensors is that they are neutral sounding. You get to hear music as it should sound. Vocals are crystal clear for easy listening - like a Yesu Das or Jagjit Singh. They are brilliant for songs with good instrumentation - like Disco Deewane or Do naina aur ek kahani(Masoom).
Moreover, my neighbours are not complaining as the sounds are soothing. And as a matter of fact, I barely go above 62/63 on the receiver.

Dear Barun7

Thank you for the first hand report.

So in your experience, Zensor is neutral to smooth sounding. This is a very appealing quality, especially for music.

Is the Higher Frequency forward sounding and how about the Bass (Deep & Powerful or Boomy and Loose)?

Thanks once again

A Co-axial center speaker is better than the horizontal MTM speaker, as it avoids some acoustic interference between drivers dispersion.. In that regard, you may consider KEF Q series 350 (BS) all around the room.. You may lay a single BS Q350 to its side so the height of the speaker doesn't not hinder the viewing experience..

The advantage of repeating the same speakers all around the room results is, identical speakers set-up, uniform sound stage across the room..
Horizontal placement causes lobing effect at ear level off axis. So it doesn't matter if its a bookshelf or centre speaker.
But yeah placing it vertically will solve the problem.

I heard Dali Oberon 5, Opticon 2 and 5. Oberon 5 is good but Opticons are better. At least to my ears Opticon were noticeably more suited for music depending on space and money.

@RajithKumar @Naturelover @elangoas I will try Opticon 2 for all fronts or Opticon 5 paired with Vokal.

I liked the Dali Opticon sound. The problem (if at all) is they are all back ported. Right speaker will be in L-shaped corner. Left speaker has walls at least 20” to the left and back. The centre will be resting on AV unit with back close to wall.

It is a tricky placement. What would you suggest?
If u liked opticon ,go for it... the Vokal also should be from Opticon series

Dear Barun7

Thank you for the first hand report.

So in your experience, Zensor is neutral to smooth sounding. This is a very appealing quality, especially for music.

Is the Higher Frequency forward sounding and how about the Bass (Deep & Powerful or Boomy and Loose)?

Thanks once again

The bass is kind of tight and deep but adequate for music. Even for most of the movies, I found it adequate. It will not shake your floor but you will feel it. Of course a good sub would make a difference. I am of those rare people who don't prefer too much bass!
I am not that technically advanced when it comes to terminologies but if I am answering your question in the right way, the frequencies seem forward sounding to me. I feel the music coming towards me. Maybe this is one of the advantages of front ported tower speakers.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back