dCS Debussy

bornfi

It was around the same time when I was introduced to DA converters, I got to know about dCS as a company. But pricing of their products always made me keep them in If-I-Win-Lottery kind of product. And as I progressed with different DA converters, I would always try to find out if anybody is comparing a particular DAC with a dCS. But as it may or may not be others I would always be biased towards the product I had and anti towards what is beyond my capabilities, my net assessment(after going through various forums) of dCS until I (somehow) managed to get a used Debussy was that it is just another DAC for uber-riches with probably slightly better performance but most of the money going towards build quality.

Honestly, first few days when one would try to listen to all different tracks recordings without thinking what one is evaluating, I thought that my assessment was correct. But after a few days, I do not know what happened - whether my mental state changed or DAC took some time for adjustment/breakin, what I am experiencing is something reminds me an incident where this TV guy is interviewed and was asked as to how you would compare yourself with this bolloywood actor and he says "Forget about comparing, when you stand close to him, you just get to realize what a magnetic, big and charming personality he is and you yourself feel so small that thought of comparing scares you'. That is what happens when I start thinking how Debussy compares to the previous DACs I had.

Debussy just tells you that any digital is very complex and the manner in which it decomplexes it with aplomb and presents to listener is just so gratifying. Layers or layers precisely placed in a very expansive or should I say limitless soundstage.

I was debating whether I should write this or not but thought that it would be a remiss on my part for those who think that dCS is just another jewelry and would strongly advise that do not do that and if you get opportunity, get one. This is just another beast.

Congratulations on your new dac.

Owning any DCS product is indeed special.

If you don't mind post some pictures

Is it a true balanced design?
Sorry being a little lazy and not searching for specifications myself.
if it is , what are you preferring to use ?
Balanced or single ended connections considering your karan is a true balanced design

Is it a true balanced design?
Sorry being a little lazy and not searching for specifications myself.
if it is , what are you preferring to use ?
Balanced or single ended connections considering your karan is a true balanced design
I guess it is but did not bother to check but I am using balanced all across going through Silvercore Preamp 324 (passive preamp).

I am never going back single-ended again .

I guess it is but did not bother to check but I am using balanced all across going through Silvercore Preamp 324 (passive preamp).

I am never going back single-ended again .
Did you try it direct to your amp? I am considering the Bartok which many reviews claim does not need a pre.
Cheers,
Sid

Did you try it direct to your amp? I am considering the Bartok which many reviews claim does not need a pre.
Cheers,
Sid
Where are you planning to buy it from? I am eyeing the Rossini + clock or maybe the Vivaldi ( just the dac to start off with) as an upgrade to my current DAC setup.

Thanks.

called them up a couple of days ago but didn’t get a response.

will do it again today.

maybe the lockdown has impacted their working hours.

Nice. Thanks for the report on the DCS Debussy, @bornfi

I always wondered about dCS. Now, like @sidvee I am eyeing the Bartok as well, its gotten nothing but rave reviews.

Yupp, I am planning to sell my Dave+MScaler setup and move to Rossini or Vivaldi.

I love the current setup but the upgrade itch is strong.

I don’t think Bartok would be an upgrade over Mscaler Dave, have to go to Rossini/ Vivaldi for that.

I am in active talks with few for MScaler and Dave sale.

MScaler sale is almost finalised. Dave is still available.

I might not have then by the time lockdown is over and it’s relatively safe.

But if Rossini or Vivaldi interests you, you are welcome once I purchase mine shortly.

Absolutely sir.. Always interested in hearing top of the line equipment... Have heard and read so much about Dave and therefore was interested... But yeah, do let me know if you have the Dave or ask the seller if he is willing to allow a demo once they buy it...

I am in active talks with few for MScaler and Dave sale.

MScaler sale is almost finalised. Dave is still available.

I might not have then by the time lockdown is over and it’s relatively safe.

But if Rossini or Vivaldi interests you, you are welcome once I purchase mine shortly.
I’ve only heard the Dave on a headphone setup. Is it any good in a stereo rig?

Yupp, I am planning to sell my Dave+MScaler setup and move to Rossini or Vivaldi.

I love the current setup but the upgrade itch is strong.

I don’t think Bartok would be an upgrade over Mscaler Dave, have to go to Rossini/ Vivaldi for that.

Have you considered Nagra HD or Tube DAC or Brinkmann Nyquist MkII?

They might be an intermediate step before the DCS Vivaldi.

I have been googling the Brinkmann Nyquist all week. Looks amazing and is modular upgradable and hence very upgradable.

BTW what is the rest of your system?

I have heard good things about the Nyquist. There is one for sale on audiogon. DCS has a balance control which is useful at times for my erratic right ear which occasionally has a slight imbalance.

I am into headphones. My amp is a Wells Audio Headtrip Reference and I have Abyss 1266 TC and Hifiman Susvara headphones.

The amp and headphones are the best available today.

I’ve only heard the Dave on a headphone setup. Is it any good in a stereo rig?

I am a headphone person.

I have heard good things about the Nyquist. There is one for sale on audiogon. DCS has a balance control which is useful at times for my erratic right ear which occasionally has a slight imbalance.

I am into headphones. My amp is a Wells Audio Headtrip Reference and I have Abyss 1266 TC and Hifiman Susvara headphones.

The amp and headphones are the best available today.

Ah okay. Got it.

I don't know much about headphones but I do have great respect for Wells audio and their products.

I don't see any Nyquist on sale in audiogon but there are two in usaudiomart. It is very tempting, although I will wait a bit. My new amp is still stuck at the customs thanks to the lockdown.

From Audire, their authorized India dealer.
Cheers,
Sid

Did you consider upgrading within the Bricasti line? The M12 or M21. Both have built in analog output stages.

It was around the same time when I was introduced to DA converters, I got to know about dCS as a company. But pricing of their products always made me keep them in If-I-Win-Lottery kind of product. And as I progressed with different DA converters, I would always try to find out if anybody is comparing a particular DAC with a dCS. But as it may or may not be others I would always be biased towards the product I had and anti towards what is beyond my capabilities, my net assessment(after going through various forums) of dCS until I (somehow) managed to get a used Debussy was that it is just another DAC for uber-riches with probably slightly better performance but most of the money going towards build quality.

Honestly, first few days when one would try to listen to all different tracks recordings without thinking what one is evaluating, I thought that my assessment was correct. But after a few days, I do not know what happened - whether my mental state changed or DAC took some time for adjustment/breakin, what I am experiencing is something reminds me an incident where this TV guy is interviewed and was asked as to how you would compare yourself with this bolloywood actor and he says "Forget about comparing, when you stand close to him, you just get to realize what a magnetic, big and charming personality he is and you yourself feel so small that thought of comparing scares you'. That is what happens when I start thinking how Debussy compares to the previous DACs I had.

Debussy just tells you that any digital is very complex and the manner in which it decomplexes it with aplomb and presents to listener is just so gratifying. Layers or layers precisely placed in a very expansive or should I say limitless soundstage.

I was debating whether I should write this or not but thought that it would be a remiss on my part for those who think that dCS is just another jewelry and would strongly advise that do not do that and if you get opportunity, get one. This is just another beast.

What was your previous DAC, @bornfi ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back