Decide between Sony EX500, NX500, BX 400, W550 and Samsung B550/650

damboo

I am in a big dilemma to select my first LCD of 40 inches size, My personal choice is
Sony EX500, NX500, BX 400, W550
Samsung B550/650
After lot of research I narrowed down these model, since Sony models are new i dont get any review in this forum. Regarding the samy B550, i found some good point in this forum and but for 650 may due to unavailability in the market.
Please help me to decide, price is not matter if its give good features.
My usage will be 70% DTH and 30 HD movies.

I am in a big dilemma to select my first LCD of 40 inches size, My personal choice is
Samsung B550/650
After lot of research I narrowed down these model, since Sony models are new i dont get any review in this forum. Regarding the samy B550, i found some good point in this forum and but for 650 may due to unavailability in the market.

If price is not a matter, sony it is.
From the list, I have demoed only the W550.
But it is the least VFM.

I would say wait for another month or so. There is no point in buying the TV now as you would see new TV's from LG in april and probably Samsung in may to June time frame. Mean time you could do some more research on your existing choices. You would find reviews of latest Sony tv's in CNET and avsforums.com. They can be used as a reference though the TV's available in US may be slightly different.

Samsung B550/650

Samsung B650 is very good and you can't go wrong with Sony. I don't find much of a difference between NX500 and EX500. I see in website NX500 doesn't have motion flow where as EX500 has 100hz motion flow.

I would chose between Samsung 650 & Sony EX500. Kindly audition and decide.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Damboo, I had the same confusion. However, this is my personal view on your choices. The EX series is good compared to the other series. The NX500 series seems to be very good when the TV is switched off and will definitely add to the contours of your living/bed room. Design is so neat! But, you probably would have noticed that NX series are sold as LCD-LED Tvs in most parts of the world. The NX500 sold in India are CCFL ones..

However, you should also see for yourself in person if the premium paid towards the motionflow technology (EX500) is really necessary. I'm seeing, hearing mixed reviews about this technology. Technically, 100Hz motion flow is only an intermittent solution for LCD Tvs' standard issue. Sony/Samsung themselves have those advanced 200Hz sets in their high end series. (hmm..I think I can afford them after an year)

Ok, Did I confuse you? if you are confused, thats a good sign.

My answer is >> If you don't mind spending a premium, settle for EX500 series. Picture quality / exterior looks are decent and premium. BX400 lacks that fancy PS3's GUI (XMB!), its remote is basic and this model only has 2 HDMI inputs I guess..please check its specs and forget owning one.. It is simillar to that old S series.

You can also consider EX400 for your requirements. I feel this will fit you and will be kind of future proof.

The W series is nearly obsolete..may be simillar or is being replaced by EX ones. If you get them on huge discounts..its really sweet!

The samsung 6 series is again good. But, please check for yourself the color tones exhibited by samsung/Sony. If you like it, go for it.

Btw, I personally prefer Sony or Sharp in LCD segement.

So, Trust your eyes and don't get carried away by those fancy marketing / technical jargons used by any manufacturer. You will be safe. All the best

Cheers.

Last edited:
Damboo, I had the same confusion. However, this is my personal view on your choices. The EX series is good compared to the other series. The NX500 series seems to be very good when the TV is switched off and will definitely add to the contours of your living/bed room. Design is so neat! But, you probably would have noticed that NX series are sold as LCD-LED Tvs in most parts of the world. The NX500 sold in India are CCFL ones..

NX series is not sold as LEDs at least in middle east. They are sold only as CCFLS. NX series is just a good looking EX series and there is no difference between the two feature-wise.

However, you should also see for yourself in person if the premium paid towards the motionflow technology (EX500) is really necessary. I'm seeing, hearing mixed reviews about this technology. Technically, 100Hz motion flow is only a intermittent solution for LCD Tvs. Sony itself has another still more advanced 200Hz sets.
I have both the EX500 series and EX400 series. The 100Hz refresh rate of EX500 does make a minor difference to SD sources fed through composite or component. Also 100Hz is not an "intermittent" solution. It is basically the refresh rate of the television and 100Hz models will most likely be around for few more years before the true benefits (if any) of 200Hz becomes more visible.

Damboo, be warned that the EX & BX series do not have digital or optical outs which in my case is a minor irritant. Not sure about NX series though. If you're not very particular about these outputs, then you should be fine.

Thanks for your suggestion
One problem is that I am in Saudi Arabia and here finding multi band shop is very difficult where I can compared the sony and samy.
Another thing is that here I am not getting the samy 6th series only 5th series is available.
I think 100Hz flow motion is mater especially for football viewing.
I am more toward EX 500/400 and W550
Now let me come to the price of 40 different model in Saudi riyal (1 riyal = 12 rupees)
EX500 SR 4999 100 HZ PRESENT
W550 - SR 4499 100 HZ PRESENT
EX400 SR 3799
NX500 SR 3999
40B550K1R 3500
Can Divx file play through USB in EX500?
Because I saw this in you tube
YouTube - SONY EX500 Divx USB

Thanks for your suggestion
I am more toward EX 500/400 and W550
Now let me come to the price of 40 different model in Saudi riyal (1 riyal = 12 rupees)
EX500 SR 4999 100 HZ PRESENT
W550 - SR 4499 100 HZ PRESENT
EX400 SR 3799

40EX500 is SR4999?? I bought a 46EX500 in Dubai for AED 4999!! Given the fact that SAR & AED are more or less the same value (against INR), are you sure 40EX500 is SR4999?

Can u please elaborate on your point of output not present in EX series?

What i meant is that most of the newer HDTVs support digital / optical audio outs which can be used to connect to simpler Home theaters or to sound bars. The EX series I have does not support that. It may not be such a major issue, but a minor one for me nonetheless

Cheers.

You are right regarding NX series as edge LED. In Singapore the NX series is a edge LED lcd. Models sold are NX 700 and NX 800. NX 700 LED is retailing in Singapore for approximately INR 75,000.

Spiderman

the yet to be launched EX600/700 range are also edge LED .except NX 500 every other NX range is edge LED.

I was also confused between EX500 and NX500.

Finally, I have chosen NX500 because of its looks. There is absolutely no difference between EX500 and NX500 except the shiny look.

100MHz is available in EX500 and it does make a difference in SD. The motion is comparatively smoother than NX500. But, it does not make a whole lot of difference. Picture still lags when there is a fast moving picture and it just better in EX500 (NX500 is 50MHz).

All this MHz games will stop once we get HD signals like Sun HD.

Even though the features wise it is not different, I felt the PQ is better in NX500 than EX500 in Sony Demo showroom. I made sure all settings are absolutely same and feed was from SD (Big TV). I saw the PQ is better in NX500. Sony salesman agreed and said that it may be because of the front glass or may be because NX500 has better hardware than EX500. But he is not sure and I am also, but we saw a difference.

I am not comparing other models like W550A and BX500 as BX500 is Basic model and W550A is out of production.

If you have enough money to shell out, go for SONY.

I was also confused between EX500 and NX500.

Finally, I have chosen NX500 because of its looks. There is absolutely no difference between EX500 and NX500 except the shiny look.

100MHz is available in EX500 and it does make a difference in SD. The motion is comparatively smoother than NX500. But, it does not make a whole lot of difference. Picture still lags when there is a fast moving picture and it just better in EX500 (NX500 is 50MHz).

All this MHz games will stop once we get HD signals like Sun HD.

Even though the features wise it is not different, I felt the PQ is better in NX500 than EX500 in Sony Demo showroom. I made sure all settings are absolutely same and feed was from SD (Big TV). I saw the PQ is better in NX500. Sony salesman agreed and said that it may be because of the front glass or may be because NX500 has better hardware than EX500. But he is not sure and I am also, but we saw a difference.

I am not comparing other models like W550A and BX500 as BX500 is Basic model and W550A is out of production.

If you have enough money to shell out, go for SONY.

After reading the users suggestions i narrowed down three model from the list
1. Nx500
2. EX 500
3. samy b650
I read more good point and features about the samsung 650 in this forum.
Still waiting from the senior members to reply on this.

^the EX500 is a good buy.

yesterday i check the price of samsung 40B650 is 5299 saudi riayal and EX500 is 4999 riyal. i am very much surprised by this price. here samy is costlier than Sony. But in India it is reverse.
Can any one tell me the actual price of samy 40B650 from saudi arabia or UAE?
From this above two model which is best to buy? please consider the life/maintenance, because here service center is very for (another city).;)

yesterday i check the price of samsung 40B650 is 5299 saudi riayal and EX500 is 4999 riyal. i am very much surprised by this price. here samy is costlier than Sony. But in India it is reverse.
From this above two model which is best to buy? please consider the life/maintenance, because here service center is very for (another city).;)

Samsung 40B650 is 5299 AED in Dubai.

well the EX500 is cheaper because its uses a 2010 panels which are slightly cheaper then 09 panel used in samsung,when the samsung C650 is launched it should be cheaper then the sony if not cost about the same.
in india sony is expensive due to the 30+% of custom duties,even in thailand the sonys are cheaper then samsung.

i would suggest the EX500 or wait for C650 it could be cheaper.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back