Deciding home theater speakers, sub, design home setup, cables etc.

i_know_nothing

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I have been reading a few posts and very happy to see such an active and knowledgeable forum. I apologize if my post is too long and thank everyone in advance for responding.

I have been bitten by the bug again. I had setup my home 12 years ago and I was cheap to not invest in a good home theater setup. I am now trying to set one up and trying not to be cheap.

I am from Bombay so please suggest stores in the city that I can go audition. Here are my requirements including budget. I am a noob so please use full forms so that I can look up some terminology that I don’t understand. It would be ok if you sent me link to articles for any questions that I have asked below.

1. Budget 2-3 lakh. 5.1 setup.
2. Setup would be in the living room. 18 feet long and 12 feet wide. It’s L shaped so additional space where the dining area is. The TV is near the long end of the room and the main door is close to the TV. This is relevant information because I have question about where to put speakers.
3. Main interest is watching movies and PlayStation. Music is secondary.
4. Denon seems like a good choice but which one. I want to go for the 2020 version which is the x2700. I might have to stretch my budget.
5. I read a lot that it’s good to build the front and center speakers first but I would rather get a nice build from the start. I know it’s classical noob mind set .
5. I don’t have a good space for tower speakers because they would just be in the way. Remember my TV is near my door.
6. What speakers should I go for within that budget. I am interacting with ProFX and the manager has been prompt. They have Polk and KEF. Are there places where I can do auditions for other speakers?
7. Wireless vs wired - my electrician had screwed up so I cannot pull the wires or insert new wires in the wall. I don’t want to any construction either so are there good cable hiding solutions for Indian apartments. This is one reason someone suggested just go for Bose lifestyle series.
8. How do you select cables for your setup. Like I said I will read articles.
9. Design the setup and installation. I did a little research and what I read kind of shows why my older setup was so bad. I have my speakers very close to the ceilings now. The issue is that I have a wall unit and a 55 inch TV. Now because of that placing speakers is a problem.Would you rather suggest breaking the setup down before I buy this hone theater setup.
10. Any other suggestion is welcome.

You can check my setup in my signature. Purchased from HifiMart 3 years ago (the AVR X2300 + 5.1 Wharfedale) and the experience was really great. Then did some additions for Atmos. I am enjoying the Denon + Wharfedale for both movies & music. I had some very good support from this forum and finalized on this option. Unless you need 8K / 4K 120 fps HDMI 2.1 (PS5) then X2600 (2019 series) should be at good prices vs x2700

Tv is too far from seating so will be speakers.. if you can improvise on the seating layout and tv location you will surely get better experience.

Understand but cannot move it till I redo all the wiring which will be too disruptive to move cables over to the short side. Kind of stuck. Thanks though. How close do people sit.

Understand but cannot move it till I redo all the wiring which will be too disruptive to move cables over to the short side. Kind of stuck. Thanks though. How close do people sit.
The jump in experience will be way too big to ignore.

Leave the old cabling and add new cabling.
It will not be much of an hassle..

This way your 3 lakhs spent will be utilised wisely.

Good luck
Hope it helps :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back