Deciding on an ideal BOM for HT Setup

rajbangalore

Hi Gurus,

I was browsing the threads on HT and quite amazed seeing the level of engagement from the experts. Immediately registered. Kudos to you all helping and guiding people in deciding on what to buy.

I am planning to setup a HT in my house and need your advise. I am a novice and can easily fall prey to BOSE appeal. Gone through the threads and found a lot of suggestion and here is what I want to summarize and need your validation.

Details first-
1. Room Size - It's a dedicated music room of 14X10 ft size
2. Requirement - 50% HD Channels in TV, 25% Music (Rock/Instrumental), 20% Movies (downloaded or from discs), 5% Wii Games
3. Need to play Blueray discs (and 3D sometime in future)
4. The room is under final stage of construction (plastering)
5. Need to play songs from iPod/iTunes, Android devices
6. I like depth and bass in low volume
7. This is a small room and hence not sure I can afford to have standies speaker
8. I would like to connect to Wifi
9. Budget 1-1.2L without the TV. Can stretch a bit.
10. TV viewing distance 8ft

Need help -

1. What I understood is that HTIB may not be great. Will buy components separately. But what are the components of the Bill of Materials (BOM)? Are the following right?
a. Speakers - Front LR and C, Sub, Rear LR.
b. AVR. Do I need Amplifier? Will it upscale video input from set top box? Can it take 3D video input?
c. Do I need Docking station for Mobile devices?
d. Music player? CD, Pendrive etc
e. Disc Player? - Blueray / 3D
f. Wifi connect - Do I need an adapter? LAN wiring is not done and hence cannot create ethernet port now.
g. Is there anything else?

2. Do I need to consider 7.1Ch? Is yes why? If yes, how will the above components change?

3. Shall I consider a Projector instead of a TV? Any merits and demerits of projector? I was looking at 3D LED 49" TV (outside the budget mentioned above). What will be projector budget if that's better? Any idea on what kind of wiring is required from the AVR to the ceiling if I hang the projector there?

4. For speakers I read about Tannoy and Wharfedal? Any comments on which models?

5. Which Sub will be good?

6. AVR- Denon 1000 or 2000 or Yamaha 475? Or any other suggestion?

7. Blueray / 3D player - Any suggestion?

Not sure I have asked too many questions but will appreciate your inputs.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back