Dedicated Home Theater room

Kouzhik

Hi,
I have a dedicated acoustic room of 21×16 for home theater.
I have decided to go for:
1. 133" curved screen
2. Decent projector (not compulsory to have 3D option)
3. AV Receiver
4. Blue ray player
5. Good speakers with ATMOS.

My Budget for the above said system is 3L.

Suggest me which brand and model should i choose and clarify me on the below doubts:
1. Is there any specific combo of av receivers and speakers that performs well.?
2. Which brand speaker would deliver better sound and fit my budget.?

Hi,
1. 133" curved screen
3. AV Receiver
4. Blue ray player

Suggest me which brand and model should i choose and clarify me on the below doubts:
1. Is there any specific combo of av receivers and speakers that performs well.?
That’s a big room and you will need a lot of power. Do you want 5.1.2 or 5.2.4? For that room size I would strongly recommend dual subwoofers. So a 9 channel avr, 2 subwoofers and 7 or 9 speakers. Does the room have false ceiling? More details on room layout will help.

Hi,
1. 133" curved screen
3. AV Receiver
4. Blue ray player

You mean the room is acoustically treated already...?

Why do you want a curved screen for... are you going Anamorphic?

For a room of that size for HT you will need a lot more budget to get room filling sound. Start with a 9 channel AVR and just get 2 floorstanding speakers in your budget of 3L. And then build it from there as you save more . I spent 4 years building my HT system. So take your time. Buy once and buy right. Invest in quality that will last a long time. Just my 2 cents

That’s a big room and you will need a lot of power. Do you want 5.1.2 or 5.2.4? For that room size I would strongly recommend dual subwoofers. So a 9 channel avr, 2 subwoofers and 7 or 9 speakers. Does the room have false ceiling? More details on room layout will help.

Thanks for your view.
We have designed the layout of the room and will have false ceiling as well.
We are about to execute the acoustics.
So I am in urge to find out the proper system.
What size, power and brand of subwoofers would you recomend?
Does the ATMOS speakers include in the 7 or 9 speakers which you mentioned?

Thanks for your view.

You mean the room is acoustically treated already...?

Why do you want a curved screen for... are you going Anamorphic?

We are about to start the acoustics work for the room.

I got quote from some of local HT guys and most suggested me for curved one.
Main purpose of the room is to watch english action movies.
What is the advantage to have a curved screen for my purpose.?
Is it worth investing some more for it or should I just go for flat one.?

For a room of that size for HT you will need a lot more budget to get room filling sound. Start with a 9 channel AVR and just get 2 floorstanding speakers in your budget of 3L. And then build it from there as you save more . I spent 4 years building my HT system. So take your time. Buy once and buy right. Invest in quality that will last a long time. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for your view.
Which AVR would you suggest?
How much should I extend my budget to fulfil the sound of the room.?

We are about to start the acoustics work for the room.

I got quote from some of local HT guys and most suggested me for curved one.
Main purpose of the room is to watch english action movies.
What is the advantage to have a curved screen for my purpose.?
Is it worth investing some more for it or should I just go for flat one.?

Generally the acoustics are designed based on the proposed speakers and amplification. Is there an Acoustician involved in the project...?

Marketing largely IMHO: Curved screens are used purely to correct the slight 'pin cushion effect that using an anamorphic lens causes.
There really is no point using a standard projector without an A-lens with a curved screen, apart from it looking 'cool'.
Majority of the modern day projectors are designed to project on a flat screen.

Have you short listed any projector? If you share all the aspects of your theater it might help us assist you better.

Generally the acoustics are designed based on the proposed speakers and amplification. Is there an Acoustician involved in the project...?

Marketing largely IMHO: Curved screens are used purely to correct the slight 'pin cushion effect that using an anamorphic lens causes.
There really is no point using a standard projector without an A-lens with a curved screen, apart from it looking 'cool'.
Majority of the modern day projectors are designed to project on a flat screen.

Have you short listed any projector? If you share all the aspects of your theater it might help us assist you better.

I outsourced and got a 3D image of HT and hired a contract acoustician to execute who professionaly work for Theaters. He does not have any idea about sound engineering.
The acoustic costs me around 3.5L.
Even i am a beginner in this field.
I found a genuine dealer who gives competitive rates and he suggested to go for Optoma projector to keep price in check rather than a Epson. Is it okay?
And as per your sugesstion, I will go for a flat screen.
Before the execution of acoustic work, i need to finalise the no of speakers to be installed, so that the wiring can be done.
Please help in this regards as well.
Thank you.

Thanks for your view.
Ok for your room size and a budget of 3L for screen, projector,Avr, speakers and subwoofer is impossible for a good 5.1.4 set up. If you are going for atmos 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 configuration, for avr speakers and sub alone you will have to spend 3 lakhs or more. And also you need a lot of power so at-least a 3 channel power amplifier to power the LCR. And if you want to restrict your budget to 3L only for atmos set up you can go with Pioneer avr lx303 9 channel avr with no pre-outs or the marantz 6013 which has pre-outs. 9 speakers including ceiling speakers for atmos and sub-woofer
you can check Torvin, Taga harmony, polk, Jbl, which offers budget speakers. This alone will cost you around 2L or more and you have to plan for screen, projector and wires with the remaining amount.

Thanks for your view.
Which AVR would you suggest?
How much should I extend my budget to fulfil the sound of the room.?

Hi Kouzhik....

Your room is ideal for a 5.2.4 or even better a 7.2.4 atmos setup. So you need an avr that has 11 channels of amplification. There are denon and marantz flagship that do that. But they will run out of steam in such a big room.

So I would suggest using a marantz SR 6013 or even the older model 6012. It has 11 channels of pre out. You need to add a 3 channel power amp for front LCR speakers. The marantz will drive the remaining 8 channels for you . That is it will drive the 4 atmos ceiling speakers. The 2 surround and back surround speakers.

Since the amp is sorted. You need to get the wiring done for the 11 speakers and 2 subs in advance.

First start with one sub and front floor standers. What ever speakers you end up deciding, please make sure they are efficient to drive. You will need to budget anywhere between 1.5 to 2L just for the front LCR.

You can use some cheap Yamaha IWC series in ceiling speakers for atmos . Will cost you around 40k for 4 nos of speakers on amazon. I use the same series and they performs really well.

Next when funds permit add one good sub.

Next add a pair of surrounds to get a 5.1.4 system in place. Next step will be to add 2 back surrounds to complete your 7.1.4 setup. If you still fancy it you can add a second sub and make it a 7.2.4 system that will really rock your room.

I would advise elac, tannoy , Qacoustics to include in your choice of speakers. So are polks too.

Below will be my minimum spend on each component :

Front L&R - 1 to 1.5L
Centre- 30 to 40k
Sub - 40 to 70k.
Book shelves for surrounds- 30 k a pair
Atmos - 40k for 4 nos

Total spend on the speakers- 3.1L to 4.3L

Marantz avr - should be around 1.2L

3 channel power amp- 50k

Total system cost - 4.8L to 6L, excluding projector

Hi,
I also have similar room size and am in the process of set-up of 7.1.2 and planning to add one sub later on. Based on HT consultant advise, we are just placing acoustics curtains to cut the echo and some tape type of thing for windows to cut some noise going out. My understanding after speaking to lot of people is that its better to spend more on speakers rather acoustics. 3.5L for your room acoustics is high as per me.
Regards,
Ramesh

My understanding after speaking to lot of people is that its better to spend more on speakers rather acoustics.

Hmm. On a related note, I'd suggest that the incremental return of any additional dollars invested in speakers versus the room's acoustics is likely to be overwhelmingly in favor of the latter. It's not even going to be close, IMO.

Best is to approach brands that you can accommodate with in your budget..

I have a dedicated acoustic room of 21×16 for home theater. My Budget for the above said system is 3L.

For your budget & room size, a 9.2 AVR would be economical.. You can consider doing a 7.2.2 set-up for approx 2 lacs budget.. Pioneer LX 303, is the cheapest 9.2 AVR, abt 70K.. You should be able to complete 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers in 1.3 (or) 1.4 Lacs budget..

Dual subs in your room should help reduce the low freq issues in you room in the subwoofer range.. Above the subwoofer range is what would require treatment to the room..

1. 133" curved screen

I have no experience with curved screen, but would suggest Acoustically transparent screen since it is a dedicated room, which gives you the liberty to position L-C-R speaker behind the screen for a near perfect HT experience..

You may choose any FHD capable projector in less than 1 Lac budget.. Check what you can source locally (or) what is aval locally for better understanding..

Hi again kauzhik ...

Below is a sale thread that might be of interest to You. A full system on sale :)

On all the best:)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back