Dedicated HT setup

I Am finalising the following setup for my dedicated HT, economic price. Size 550' (19x29).

Speakers:

Front: Taga 806F pair (29000)
Center: Taga C-40PR (12200) or Plat C-100 V.3 (18400), also looking at Polk CSiA4.
Surr: Taga 806S pair (8200)
Atmos: Taga TCW 500 R V.4 (10900 pair).
Subwoofer: Taga TSW 210 (22500) or 212se (26800)

Avr: pioneer 934 (42000) 7.2 or 304 (55000) - if I go for 9.2

Projector: Benq1050 (49000) or Epson 650 (52000)

7.2 equipment comes to about 1.75 lakh.

Wiring thinking of Amazon basics 14AWG
UPS?? 1KVA or 1.5. protect more than CVT. Needed or no??

Have tiled floor, so looking at putting rugs/thick durries.

Trying to finish off everything under 2.5 lakh including labour and accessories but false ceiling (basic), lights and seating extra.

Price is a major consideration.

Any comments or guidance?

Size 550' (19x29).

That is a big room..

You can consider upto 7.2.4 layout for your room dimensions.. A 9.2 AVR with 11.2 Pre-outs would be a better choice, as you can later add additional power amps over time..

Depending on how much you would spend for AVR, you may choose to add speakers over time..

A 9.2 avr, let's say pioneer 503, is costing 74000 if available, and 504 about 85000. So from 42000 to 85000, or 74000 is a huge price up. I will keep the wiring according to that, but may have to scrimp and go for 7.2 today.

I am looking mainly at the lower priced options in the above setup that I have given.

Also will the Raha C40 PR center be reasonable clear and loud for dialogues? I was not able to audition that. The 806C was just ok.

A 9.2 avr, let's say pioneer 503, is costing 74000 if available, and 504 about 85000. So from 42000 to 85000, or 74000 is a huge price up. I will keep the wiring according to that, but may have to scrimp and go for 7.2 today.

I am looking mainly at the lower priced options in the above setup that I have given.

Also will the Raha C40 PR center be reasonable clear and loud for dialogues? I was not able to audition that. The 806C was just ok.

I would say settle for 9.2 AVR with 11.2 pre-outs.. If you can complete only 7.2 now, it is fine.. You can add speakers at regular intervals overtime to fully reach 7.2.4..

Are you planning for an Acoustic transparent screen? If so you may consider 3 identical FS for L-C-R..

Sorry the 504 is about 75000

Ok good.. It is 10K less than what you thought it to be.. There are also other 9.2 AVR capable of 11.2 pre-outs for that budget range.. Onkyo, Denon, Marantz.. You may choose one of these models which suits in your budget.. This way you will not need to upgrade AVR, anytime sooner..

Also look for on year model, not really a big deal.. You may get one from any of the above brands for even better price..

Acoustic transparent screens are way over my budget, unless I can make one.

The 5.1.2--7.1 (not 7.2.4) in beginning will cost me 83+42=125, to upgrade to 7.1.2 with 503 like avr, 94+78=173, and for the 7.2.4 atmos another 33000+ 2ch amp. Means 206+2ch amp.?? Practically double.

I would love that. But.........

Max atmos 2, as seating only after 12 feet minimum, maybe even after 16 feet from screen.

But can I get last year's 9.2 with 11.2pre at a very good price?

Acoustic transparent screens are way over my budget, unless I can make one.

DIY Acoustic transparent screen is the way to go on a conservative approach..

The 5.1.2--7.1 (not 7.2.4) in beginning will cost me 83+42=125, to upgrade to 7.1.2 with 503 like avr, 94+78=173, and for the 7.2.4 atmos another 33000+ 2ch amp. Means 206+2ch amp.?? Practically double.

I would love that. But.........

When you are limited to budget, why consider / spend 33K on 2 channel power amp ?.. If you are open to used, pick a used 2 channel power amp (or) a stereo-amplifier that can be used as power amplifier for 10K or less, after physically inspecting them..

I have picked used stereo amplifier / stereo receiver for as little as 5K, that can pump 100 watts or more at 8 Ohms.. They work without a glitch, and no hiss too..

Shoot for 11.2 pre-out AVR, pick an used 2 channel amp + spend the rest on speakers + subwoofers.. Upto you to choose / settle based on your preference & budget..

Max atmos 2, as seating only after 12 feet minimum, maybe even after 16 feet from screen.

I think you can do a minimum of 120inch diagonal AT screen, depending on where you plan to sit..

But can I get last year's 9.2 with 11.2pre at a very good price?

Very much possible.. Just scout around dealers, you may come across one..

One thing I have never understood, as a layman, why are we looking at really powerful front/center/surround/Atmos speakers with puny 80w/ch or 100w/ch, 2 ch driven AVR.~ I feel Front should not exceed 100-125w RMS each, Center about 80-100w, surr about 30-50w each, Atmos not more than 20w each. All maybe even a tad less.

This should also give enough room for peak output performance without distortion, even when driven hard, even in larger rooms, as driving the AVR too hard may probably lead to blowout of AVR. These are not individual channel Amps.

Please do correct me if I am wrong. Most 9f us (me included) seem to be killing it.

One thing I have never understood, as a layman, why are we looking at really powerful front/center/surround/Atmos speakers with puny 80w/ch or 100w/ch, 2 ch driven AVR.~ I feel Front should not exceed 100-125w RMS each, Center about 80-100w, surr about 30-50w each, Atmos not more than 20w each. All maybe even a tad less.

This should also give enough room for peak output performance without distortion, even when driven hard, even in larger rooms, as driving the AVR too hard may probably lead to blowout of AVR. These are not individual channel Amps.

Please do correct me if I am wrong. Most 9f us (me included) seem to be killing it.

It basically boils down to the size of the room which the speakers need to fill effortlessly without distorting & putting load on the amp. Besides speaker impedance is also another factor. Low impedance speakers need powerful amps to drive them especially at higher volumes.
The power wattage of most of the commercially available amps are overrated vis a vis distortion & channels driven. To drive all the speakers especially low impedance floor standers effortlessely & efficiently in a HT setup at high volumes puts a lot of load on the receiver. Hence power amps & subwoofers are often used to reduce the load on the receiver. There are very few honest manufacturers whose power ratings are accurate so as to give a proper judgement as per your room requirements.

So basically boils down to that there is misreporting by AVR manufacturers and also consultants try to push expensive for higher gains.

Apart from that basically it depends also on the room & the capacity of the audio equipment to fill the room with sound effortlessly without distortion.

The RMS w you mention depends upon some factors like listening levels (how loud you hear ?- Reference or -____db level) ,listening distance from speaker ,speaker sensitivity and its power handling capacity etc.

decide the speaker layout based on your room size and seating positions .Then decide the AVR .IMO Instead of Taga sub ,Look for a better sub - based on budget you can get one now and add one more later stage.

Budget about 24 to 27000 for sub. Taga 210 or 212 or 212SE seem the best bet for my room in this range. I have also been suggested Elac S10.2@ 26,000. I feel it might be underpowered and not low enough compared to the Tagas. Please do advise. Also with the 8"woofers and low frequency in Taga806F, do I need subwoofers now or should I add them a bit later if felt.

Otherwise, I feel Taga 806F, C40PR, 806S, TCW 500 R V.4 seems decent at the price for 7.2 atmos. With Pioneer 934 AVR (suggest) and Epson TW650 or Benq W1050 projector.(suggest as not much difference in prices)

Thanks

Or I can put crossover at 100 to 120Hz on AVR for front/center, put a subwoofer and make more power available to the fronts/center.

Or I can put crossover at 100 to 120Hz on AVR for front/center, put a subwoofer and make more power available to the fronts/center.
Honestly saying, the configuration you selected you won't get cinima theater SPL. I would rather look at speaker sensitivity and off axis response rather than AVR watt output. At the same time a subwoofer is a heart of the entire setup. Being said that take a slower approach and build a better sounding setup. Patience is the key to build a good HT.

806F floor
DesignFloorstanding, 3-way
4 drivers
Bi-wiring, bi-amp
TLIE enclosure
Crossover points: 600Hz 4kHz
Power handling20 - 180W (recommended amplifier power)
135W RMS
Frequency response30Hz - 25kHz
BassreflexFront single
Impedance6ohm
Sensitivity89dB
High-frequency driver25 mm (1"), TWG
Midrange driver133 mm (5.25")
Bass driver2 x 203 mm (8")
Dimensions (H x W x D)108 x 24.5 x 31.2 cm (excl. spikes)
Weight18.4 kg / pc.

Taga SW212 sub

TAGA  Harmony

HOMEPRODUCTSHOME SPEAKERSBY SERIESAUDIO-VIDEOTSW-212

TSW-212
HOME SPEAKERS
SUBWOOFERS
TSW-212
Description
Specification
Finishes
Technology
Downloads
DesignActive subwoofer, 1 driver
TLIE enclosure
Amplifier power200W RMS
600W Dynamic Peak
Class A/B
Frequency response25Hz - 200Hz
BassreflexSingle, rear, slotted
Bass driver305 mm (12”), paper
6ohm
Crossover filter frequency35Hz - 150Hz (variable)
Phase regulation0°, 180°
Inputs1 x Line-level (L/R)
1 x SUB (LFE)
1 x High-level
Features / accessoriesAuto On/Off

Single RCA-RCA Subwoofer Cable
Removable IEC power cord
AC power / power consumption220V-240V 50/60Hz, 200W
Dimensions (H x W x D)40.2 x 37.1 x 42.5 cm (incl. feet)
Weight24.2 kg / pc.

The floor standers can give enough bass. My advise is to purchase everything except sub wooofer and set it up. You might not be satisfied with the bass output. So will you be if you invest in cheap sub woofers. Enjoy the setup, save money for a proper subwoofer and get that after some time. 806F supposedly has a better mid bass and will keep you satisfied until you get a proper sub, imho.

Which sub would you suggest?

I am apprehensive whether the AVRs (vsx934 7.2 @80w 2ch or lx304 9.2@100w 2ch) are sufficient? I can't find any reasonably priced avr with pre-outs. These seem to have vanished, though practically negligible cost attached to give preouts.

May have to open box and connect directly after warranty. LOL.:eek::p;)

Also can I use Amazon basics 16/14AWG speaker wires? Very decently priced

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back