Definitive Tech ProCinema 600 & Yamaha Issue

fistea

Im not sure if this is the right subforum or not, but if it is not, apologies.
(If somebody could guide me to the correct one, that would be great)

I have a ProCinema 600 5.1 setup with a Yamaha RXV-1500 I use along with my PS3.

I have 2 issues:

1. Noise from one of the speakers, especially at higher volumes (when there is something like an orchestra playing, as the volume goes up to the crescendo, you hear chatter like noise coming from the surround left speaker.) Its like radio noise, but to the tune of music.

2. The ProSub 600 is an Active Subwoofer (turns itself on and off) and is connected to the LFE out by rca cable from the Yamaha receiver to the subwoofer. The speakers are connected directly from the receiver. The issue is that I can see the subwoofer is on (red led glows) but then, there is no sound coming out of the subwoofer (even when I can hear audio out of the other channels).. EVER. not once so far. (it was definitely working sometime earlier, before i shifted houses). I cant hear any broken/loose parts dangling when I lift the speaker on its side so I don't think its damage/broken.

Is there any check/ troubleshooting I can do to solve these issues/ run diagnostics?

I live in mumbai, where the only deftech service point is in andheri and I stay quite far away, so trying to exhaust all possible options before I send it in.

1. Swap the left and right speakers and check if the problem is still there with the left speaker.

2. You can test the subwoofer by touching the RCA pin using wet fingers. You should hear a thud sound. You can also send a test audio from the rca out of dvd player or TV. If the sub works, then check the avr settings for subwoofer. If the front speakers are set as large then the subwoofer won't get low frequency signal.

Check in amp setting it may be in LFE change it to LFE + main and also check in the subwoffer power mode if it's in auto it will only work of there is a low frequency signal.

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

what mode are using..
use direct mode for the first case..dont use pl2 or 2---6 ch mode
2 ch music recording..if you play..in pl2 or like..this may happen

for the second case..follow baiju..

@baiju For 1, I've identified it as a problem with a speaker and not the line. the same speaker plays the distortion on other channels as well. I guess I'll have to take it to the service center.

For 2, I've tried testing it with a 3.5mm to rca jack from my phone, and there was no response. I will try the wet finger test and figure out the main speaker vs low frequency issue on the receiver.

@prosenjit excuse me for being a noob, I've not come across the term pl2 before. could you elaborate?
but its a problem with the speaker, that much is sure. the same speaker shows distortion on other channels.

Also, wanted to ask, is it normal for the surround/rear channel speakers to output at a lower volume than the front left,right and center speakers ? I've seen that consistently happening no matter what kind of setting I use for the audio distribution.

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully It'll save me a trip. Ill post again with results.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back