Denafrips Ares II Vs Schiit Bifrost 2

Ebenezer

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my DAC to one of these (Denafrips Ares II or Schiit Bifrost 2). I haven't personally heard Ares II, i have demoed Schiit Bifrost (Original 1st version) from one of our forum members. I couldn't demo Ares II.

I went through several online reviews / comparisons and following are the points that i gathered through reviews.

Denafrips Ares II : Has rich Harmonics, wide soundstage, lot of space between instruments, round edges (not fatiguing), tube-amp like sound. Bass is bit softer, slightly less resolution compared to Bifrost 2.

Schiit Bifrost 2 : Has rich timber, detailed and smooth sound across the frequency, punchy bass with good texture. Soundstage width is less compared to Ares II. Bifrost has more detail (without fatigue) compared to Ares II

As we are all aware, online reviews can be misleading at times. I am sure many of our FMs have used / heard these two DACs. I would like to hear your thoughts on strength / weakness / comparison between these two DACs

My current components are Ifi Zen Stream - SMSL D300 DAC - Naim Nait 5si amp - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers

I like all that is being shared about Denafrips Ares II, i am bit afraid if the bass would be bit weak (I don't have subwoofer). Bifrost has a good quality / quantity of bass, but soundstage is bit narrower.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thank you

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my DAC to one of these (Denafrips Ares II or Schiit Bifrost 2). I haven't personally heard Ares II, i have demoed Schiit Bifrost (Original 1st version) from one of our forum members. I couldn't demo Ares II.

I went through several online reviews / comparisons and following are the points that i gathered through reviews.

Denafrips Ares II : Has rich Harmonics, wide soundstage, lot of space between instruments, round edges (not fatiguing), tube-amp like sound. Bass is bit softer, slightly less resolution compared to Bifrost 2.

Schiit Bifrost 2 : Has rich timber, detailed and smooth sound across the frequency, punchy bass with good texture. Soundstage width is less compared to Ares II. Bifrost has more detail (without fatigue) compared to Ares II

As we are all aware, online reviews can be misleading at times. I am sure many of our FMs have used / heard these two DACs. I would like to hear your thoughts on strength / weakness / comparison between these two DACs

My current components are Ifi Zen Stream - SMSL D300 DAC - Naim Nait 5si amp - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers

I like all that is being shared about Denafrips Ares II, i am bit afraid if the bass would be bit weak (I don't have subwoofer). Bifrost has a good quality / quantity of bass, but soundstage is bit narrower.

I have not tried the Bimby / Bifrost. Owned the Ares II for a good while and was my first foray into R2R. The overall sound tilts towards the warmer side, bass had a nice impact and enough in quantity ( had moved from smsl su8/ Modi multitbit), mids were little forward but had very non offensive tone and texture, treble as you mentioned was smooth and little rounded off. After having moved higher up the ladder in r2r, I found Ares II to have some shortcomings (understandably so as the price tiers are different)
Bass - There was little lack of sub-bass and tightness in comparison to Holo Spring
Mids - The mids lacked a little bit of throw/pitch ( not sure of the rih+ght audiophile term here). But this can be a plus too as all recordings sounded quiet inoffensive.
Highs - Smooth highs but rolled off. Higher end r2r also smooth out the treble but don't necessarily roll it off
Staging & Seperation - it creates a really tall and wide stage with decent depth. Very good for the price point.

Overall I think Ares II does a very good job of getting you into a r2r domain, but considering the Indian price an used r2r dac might offer more value.

As we are all aware, online reviews can be misleading at times.

Reading your compilation of the description above (of sound) of the two DACs, I realise how difficult, it is to choose based on such descriptions.

Further, Keeping in mind the above descriptions of the sound is of the whole chain (amp, speakers, room acoustics etc) and not just the DAC; making a choice becomes even more problematic.

If I may make a suggestion: trust your ears- audition both DACs. If possible in your set up and room, else next best: at a showroom or anyone who owns one.

I have not tried the Bimby / Bifrost. Owned the Ares II for a good while and was my first foray into R2R. The overall sound tilts towards the warmer side, bass had a nice impact and enough in quantity ( had moved from smsl su8/ Modi multitbit), mids were little forward but had very non offensive tone and texture, treble as you mentioned was smooth and little rounded off. After having moved higher up the ladder in r2r, I found Ares II to have some shortcomings (understandably so as the price tiers are different)
Bass - There was little lack of sub-bass and tightness in comparison to Holo Spring
Mids - The mids lacked a little bit of throw/pitch ( not sure of the rih+ght audiophile term here). But this can be a plus too as all recordings sounded quiet inoffensive.
Highs - Smooth highs but rolled off. Higher end r2r also smooth out the treble but don't necessarily roll it off
Staging & Seperation - it creates a really tall and wide stage with decent depth. Very good for the price point.

Overall I think Ares II does a very good job of getting you into a r2r domain, but considering the Indian price an used r2r dac might offer more value.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with Ares ii. It really helps. Most reviewers praise about Ares ii especially on its holographic soundstage / imaging. Glad that you have also experienced it.

When i heard Bifrost, it had a thick tone / timber (lower mid and mid), detailed high freq without a hint of harshness, with tight punchy bass (with Naim XS2 Amp), it sounded too soft bass (with Yamaha AS500 amplifier). I think it is all about the pairing components.

May i know which amplifier you used with Ares ii?

Reading your compilation of the description above (of sound) of the two DACs, I realise how difficult, it is to choose based on such descriptions.

Further, Keeping in mind the above descriptions of the sound is of the whole chain (amp, speakers, room acoustics etc) and not just the DAC; making a choice becomes even more problematic.

If I may make a suggestion: trust your ears- audition both DACs. If possible in your set up and room, else next best: at a showroom or anyone who owns one.
You are absolutely right. The sound of DAC depends on the other components in the chain. The Same Bifrost sounded too soft with weak bass (with Yamaha As500 amplifier), whereas it was having tight / punchy bass with Naim amplifier :)

Dear Chennai FMs, if any of you have Denafrips Ares ii DAC, pls let me know. I would love to hear it myself.

Dear Chennai FMs, if any of you have Denafrips Ares ii DAC, pls let me know. I would love to hear it myself.
I will try and check with a common friend who was using the Ares ii and try and get you an audition. He was using them on Ascendo tower speakers and MBL monoblocks.
But then, it could be much different in your setup.

I will try and check with a common friend who was using the Ares ii and try and get you an audition. He was using them on Ascendo tower speakers and MBL monoblocks.
But then, it could be much different in your setup.
That would be great Sir, if i can hear how Ares ii sounds to get a flavour of it

Hi All,

SMSL D300 itself is a great DAC and sounds analog. Some say this DAC is underpriced for what it offers. Please audition Aries ii and Bifrost before taking the call because D300 itself is good and am not sure you will get any significant improvements with sub $1000 DACs.

That would be great Sir, if i can hear how Ares ii sounds to get a flavour of it

If you are into headphones, it's best to audition using a HP amp and a headphone. Becomes easier to distinguish the dac characteristics as you can notice change vs existing setup much more easily.

I have used this method in past to a/b and more often than not been able to find out the changes a dac brings.

I have been using Ares II with Naim Nait 5si and Wharfedale Evo 4.2.
I can say it's very musical combination, wide sound stage, non fatigue.
I can't comment on Ares II being vinal like or tube sound, since have not heard those system.
Never heard Bifrost so can't compare.

Hi All,

Many people liked Ares 2, had a honeymoon period with it,and then moved ahead by buying something higher from denafrips, or something else.

It gives a feeling that ares2 is shortlived , and it is just to give a taste of r2r. So my opinion is not to go for ares2.

I have been using Ares II with Naim Nait 5si and Wharfedale Evo 4.2.
I can say it's very musical combination, wide sound stage, non fatigue.
I can't comment on Ares II being vinal like or tube sound, since have not heard those system.
Never heard Bifrost so can't compare.
Glad that it works well in a similar setup (Nait 5si + Evo 4.2) as mine :) In fact i bought Nait 5si after discussing with you on your experience :)Thanks for your feedback

Many people liked Ares 2, had a honeymoon period with it,and then moved ahead by buying something higher from denafrips, or something else.

It gives a feeling that ares2 is shortlived , and it is just to give a taste of r2r. So my opinion is not to go for ares2.
Thanks for your perspective. Yes i see so many people sell Ares II and upgrading to Pontus or something else. Have you used Musician Pegasus, how is that compared to Ares II?

I just want to contend that and say i am a user of ares2 for a year now. Unless i am willing to spend a couple of lacs, a certain upgrade path is unclear. Others may have experimentd and moved on. That's fine too

Above will help you on understanding what is offered by denafrips various model and choose.
I have been using Ares 2 since Nov-2019 very happy with it.
Not thinking about changing it, unless I move to higher resolving system that include speaker and amp.

Hi All,

The Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary has more power (reviewers say more detail and bass than the original Ares II, better firmware, and has the i2S port). I've just ordered my Ares II 12th anniversary today.

You've reviewed the Denafrips Ares II , so now I'd like to hear what you think of the new Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary.

So yesterday I ordered the newer Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre (I have the Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro).

I do NOT recommend my Denon X3700H with an unknown dac that is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.
I do NOT recommend my Emotiva BasX-A3 amplifier because it is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.
---------------
..I upgraded to Apple Music... and wow, just wow.

Apple Music with Spatial Audio (surround sound music via Dolby Atmos) is a night and day improvement.

You've reviewed the Denafrips Ares II , so now I'd like to hear what you think of the new Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary.

So yesterday I ordered the newer Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre (I have the Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro).

I do NOT recommend my Denon X3700H with an unknown dac that is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.
I do NOT recommend my Emotiva BasX-A3 amplifier because it is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.
---------------

Apple Music with Spatial Audio (surround sound music via Dolby Atmos) is a night and day improvement.
Hi,

I have not followed on the further developments of Ares II in terms of their recent anniversary edition releases. I have seen people positively respond to the recent firmware updates.

I am not sure what you are referring to by more power ( is it higher vrms via their rca and balanced outs ? ) , the i2s is a welcome addition to the Ares II considering most competing dacs in that price range these days come with one ( you will need a source with i2s support to use it though or a ddc ).

Thanks for your perspective. Yes i see so many people sell Ares II and upgrading to Pontus or something else. Have you used Musician Pegasus, how is that compared to Ares II?
I have the Denafrips Ares II 12th (newer version of Ares II) and I love it, even more with the Iris 12th (a DDC).
The reason I'm selling my Ares II 12th is because I love the sound so much that I want more of it. I want to upgrade to the Pontus II 12th (which can sound even better with my existing Denafrips Iris 12th).

---------------

Hi
How do you stream apple music dolby atmos & how do u use the DAC Denadrips Ares II 2 with apple music

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back