Denafrips DAC FPGA firmware upgrade

jmascreen

Greetings

How many denafrips dac aries/pontus users have upgrades the FPGA?

I have updated my pontus ii to the latest version. Installation is pretty straightforward steps mentioned on manual provided by vinshine.

What did I achieved after upgrade?

Initial days vinshine had instructed for some burnin. Immediately I could hear better vocals, soundstage and depth with better low end and detailed highs.

If anything changes after burn in will update here

Greetings

How many denafrips dac aries/pontus users have upgrades the FPGA?

I have updated my pontus ii to the latest version. Installation is pretty straightforward steps mentioned on manual provided by vinshine.

What did I achieved after upgrade?

Initial days vinshine had instructed for some burnin. Immediately I could hear better vocals, soundstage and depth with better low end and detailed highs.

If anything changes after burn in will update here
That's good to hear, I am holding to some more reviews before I update. There have been mixed reactions this far.

Does it impact only USB or all outputs?

That's good to hear, I am holding to some more reviews before I update. There have been mixed reactions this far.

Does it impact only USB or all outputs?
No All Inputs. Its mentioned on documents shared by vinshine as well

Vinshine has been imbibing too much moonshine if he suggests that a firmware upgrade needs burn-in. When I used to code, we had a different term for firmware burn-in - it was called a bug! :p

Well, I’ve got news for you, when people code today, its still called a bug ! 😂

For those contemplating the firmware upgrade, the below video should offer some insights:

Vinshine has been imbibing too much moonshine if he suggests that a firmware upgrade needs burn-in. When I used to code, we had a different term for firmware burn-in - it was called a bug! :p
Smart salesmen called it a feature :)

Hi everyone

To be fair, I don't think it's the software itself that needs burn in, but the hardware that now needs to adapt to the changes brought in by the software.

Cheers!

To each his/her own Sir !

Last edited:
Vinshine has been imbibing too much moonshine if he suggests that a firmware upgrade needs burn-in.
Is Moonshine available in Singapore? :)

@jmascreen I upgraded firmware for my Terminator DAC, firmware provided by Vinshine.
Via MacBook and upgrade went flawlessly. Left a thank you note on email, really outstanding customer support when many brands/dealerships believe in sell it and forget it approach nowadays.

Some mild improvement in L/R separation was immediately evident, subtle improvement in overall resolution in critical listening sessions, nothing starking, but to be honest, for denafrips to fix ; nothing was broken to begin with.

Do upgrade if you are eligible, the instructions are quite easy to understand for non tech person like with basic cmd line knowledge.
@keith_correa I Was actually confused on what Audiophile USB cable should be used for Flashing firmware, Bright or Warmer one? Sadly No mention about that
:) :)

Burn in ? Really ? this is a software/firmware upgrade. The hardware stays the same I assume. So why wait for a burn in ?
I think the reasoning is not in the software burn in per say, but in its effects on the hardware. Just my two bits

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back