Denon 1700h or 2700h or 3700h

Shaishav_Udani

Hi.. I'm looking for a 5.1 setup, which I may upgrade to 7.1 later. So wanted to check which Denon AVR you would recommend. My current speakers are Yamaha NSF51 (which I will be soon upgrading too). I'm looking for good power as Yamaha RX-V4A was not giving me enough power. I'm not sure this was coz of my AVR or speakers.

If the three models mentioned are your shortlist - please go with the 3700H if budget allows. Power and other stats aside - it has pre-outs that come come in handy for future upgrades, it gives you a great amount of freedom.

My current speakers are Yamaha NSF51 (which I will be soon upgrading too).

Upgrade the speakers first, V4A is a latest AVR from Yamaha and is decently specd.

Upgrading speakers should definitely be on the cards first, than move to the AVR. Right now the AVRs cost a bomb, you have a new good enough AVR. Don't spend more on them now, change the 5.1 or upgrade it, including the subwoofer if possible.

H
Upgrade the speakers first, V4A is a latest AVR from Yamaha and is decently specd.

Upgrading speakers should definitely be on the cards first, than move to the AVR. Right now the AVRs cost a bomb, you have a new good enough AVR. Don't spend more on them now, change the 5.1 or upgrade it, including the subwoofer if possible.
Thanks for your inputs. I have actually already sold my Yamaha RXV4A as got the price as good as new. So have no choice but to get a new AVR. In this case which one would you suggest? I'm confused between 1700h and 2700h. Not sure if i would need 3700h? If it is really worth it, I will stretch my budget for it. In terms of sub - I have got Yamaha SW300. Sorry I missed mentioning it before. Really looking forward for your advise.

Most movies are in 5.1 and not 7.1. Even if it is 7.1, it is mostly an up-mixed version of 5.1. So, in my opinion, there isn't much benefit to 7.1. Hence, you can go with 1700h. Having said that, an AVR with a pre-out is great as you can add a power amp later sometime. This will unleash the true power of your speakers. Also, if you can afford to go with 3700h, go for it as you can setup an Atmos system later sometime. Atmos is a great step up from 5.1 or 7.1. You will also get pre-outs. Not sure if 1700h or 2700h has pre-outs.

From Denon 3700h only pre-outs are there. Actually you could choose between 1700h and 3700h. One is to save money and other is to get the full potential of a one time spend.

2700h comes to 15k more and it needs better speakers to match it and realise it's potential. So you are increasing your budget in both directions. A little more you might get 3700h with pre-outs. So on a shoe string budget 1700h makes sense or with good fund availability, the 3700h. The middle ground will get yourself a buyer's remorse sometimes.

40_50k for 2ch or 5?

How is your music vs movie listening? More into movies?

2700 will be better than 1700, but if you want a AVR with most functions and features x3700 it is.

I was in the same boat between x2700 and x3700, went ahead with the x3700. Reason being, pre outs, better room calibration, slightly more power and more channels to make it future proof.

A little different advice - get a pre owned receiver from a dealer. Upgrade your speakers first. Once you get a decent setup, you can choose your electronics accordingly(required power, sound signature etc). This isn't a good time for receiver procurement either!
Upgrading your speakers will make a much bigger difference than a receiver upgrade.

Last edited:
+1 @Barun7

Actually the Yamaha shouldn't have been sold, instead should have upgraded speakers. But what is done is done.

Get pre owned AVR, likes of Marantz preferred, as they have better components. But if you get a good deal on any other AVR, go ahead.

If you ask me, you could get AVRs pre-owned for even less than 15k if you look enough in OLX but you have to personally inspect it and not agree to them shipping them to you upon a transfer. If it is not distorting and you find all formats clean sounding (ott, music, youtube etc... Etc...) And with low budget speakers (in my case I selected Micca 0o0 and 1 pair of covo-s) itself can build a LCR + second hand AVR for Rs.40000! After that you need to spend another 50k on subwoofer and surrounds plus cable clamps, concealed wire patties, electrician fitting charges etc...

Many forum members including me have gone this route. 5.1 in 90k, 7.1 in about 1.05 lakhs. (Not Atmos effects though)

If budget is not a problem,go for 3700 which will have more processing , Better room correction software and good power .Also it comes with preout for future addition of power amp if required.
Since you are an Yamaha user ,You can also check for Yamaha Aventage series.

+1 @Barun7

Actually the Yamaha shouldn't have been sold, instead should have upgraded speakers. But what is done is done.

Get pre owned AVR, likes of Marantz preferred, as they have better components. But if you get a good deal on any other AVR, go ahead.
Thanks dear.. i managed to get Denon x2700H. Now I need to upgrade my center speaker.. i was thinking of monitor audio monitor - monitor c150? Your thoughts please?

Thanks dear.. i managed to get Denon x2700H. Now I need to upgrade my center speaker.. i was thinking of monitor audio monitor - monitor c150? Your thoughts please?

Planning to go 5.1 or 5.1.2?

It's advisable to get LCR from same brands, check out matching center with the speakers you have planned.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back