Denon 720 ae amp + 720 ae CD player-Good choice?

coolwave

Hi FM's,
I recently joined the forum and have been a regular visitor since.

My taste in music
Classic Rock - 50%
Heavy Metal - 10%
Indian contemporary music - 30%
Western/Indian Classical - 10%

Was wondering if Denon 720 AE INT AMP + 720 AE CD player is a good choice for a neo audiophile like me?
I would like to listen to music 80%.
Was wondering if I can use it with my TV for the other 20%.

Room size 12ft X 12ft

I have listened to this combo here in Germany with mid-range BShelf Elan speakers.Being a big store I could not get a proper audition yet.So though it sounded good could not say honestly that I was floored by it.

I shall be returning to India soon.I checked the price difference with India and it is half the price here in Germany. 35 K for amp+cd player together (Germany)vs 30 k for each component in India.Also here in germany the electronics carry a 2 yr warranty.

So I am really tempted to go for this option and buy compatible stereos in India.

Was wondering if they are really a good combination and if it is worth the bother to get it to India?
I can take them in the checked in baggage as a Fragile items.

Do let me know your thoughts.It shall help me decide immensely.
Ciao

The above AMP and CD player combination is good.

consider marantz pm6004 + marantz cd6004.

i understand marantz sound quality is better than Denon, though both are made by same parent company.

You can also audition Nad c326bee along with their matching cd player.

Denon would be a very good choice given the genre of music you listen to.. IMHO brands like Marantz, Nad etc are musical amps while the Denon can really bring the metal out :D Not sure of how good the denon CD players are, but for rock and metal the denon amp does give a lot of justice to the music.. Try auditioning it with the Aviano series speakers and I am sure you wouldnt be disappointed.
Cheers

The above AMP and CD player combination is good.

consider marantz pm6004 + marantz cd6004.

i understand marantz sound quality is better than Denon, though both are made by same parent company.

You can also audition Nad c326bee along with their matching cd player.
Firstly thanks for your reply and input.I finally auditioned the denon 720 amp+cd and the nad 316bee amp+515 bee cd player.I instantly took to the nad combination.For my kind of music which is high on vocals I really liked the nads. Clean, clear and non agressive.Yes I could actually associate these adjectives to what I heard, something I had not thought possible earlier.The Denon I found was ok in comparison.Not quite as clear, a touch bright and agressive.
Problem is I dont see NAD dealers, service centre in
India in abundance and for some reason NAD's are not very popular on this forum either.What could be the reason? I am starting a thread for this, as I am surprised that a well respected name here in Germany( for a small Canadian company) does not find much takers back in India.
I know now that unless I audition the systems myself its no use reading reviews on paper/on-line.However if you have happened to audition the marantz 6400 amp+cd is it as warm and clean as the nad's? I suppose I am just asking your personal opinion.

Thanks for your reply and advice.
As I wrote in my reply to AmitKumar earlier I finally auditioned the denon 720 amp+cd and the nad 316bee amp+515 bee cd player.I instantly took to the nad combination.My kind of music is usually high on vocals and I guess I really liked the nads better in this area.The sound was Clean, clear and laid back.The Denon I found was ok in comparison.Not quite as clear, a touch bright and agressive.
As I said to AmitKumar ,I am hesitant to go with the NAD's just yet as I dont see NAD dealers, service centre in
India in abundance and for some reason NAD's are not very popular on this forum either.So would like to start a thread what the reason could be.Generally I found that NAD is a well respected name here in Germany( for a small Canadian company) and yet it does not find much takers back in India.
Since the NAD's are in the same price range as the Marantz 6004 amp+cd, I was considering them as well, but I dont know where I can audition them.I know now that unless I audition the systems myself its no use reading reviews on paper/on-line.However if you have happened to audition the marantz 6400 amp+cd is it as warm and clean as the nad's? Your personal opinion about marantz 6004 vs NAD's may prove useful to me.

,I am hesitant to go with the NAD's just yet as I dont see NAD dealers, service centre in India in abundance and for some reason NAD's are not very popular on this forum either.So would like to start a thread what the reason could be.Generally I found that NAD is a well respected name here in Germany( for a small Canadian company) and yet it does not find much takers back in India.

Quite the opposite. There are scores of FM's who have or had NAD rigs. A quick search on the forum will confirm the same.

Hi
I have had Denon PMA2ooo+dcd700 combination for quite a few years now.The Denon combo is smooth,reasonably detailed with a tuneful bass.In my upgrade search I have listened to premium marantz,midrange NAD and other systems.The only significant upgrade to whatever little I could listen to are good quality tubes or preminim brands like symphonic line.That speakes a lot. Demo the pma2000 and see if you like it. If so, try to get one cheap used (from abroad).
cheers

Quite the opposite. There are scores of FM's who have or had NAD rigs. A quick search on the forum will confirm the same.
I can see that you have a very respectable reputation in the forum, so I shall just take your word for it .I guess I'm just plain lousy at searching the forums and could not find enough references to NAD's. Incidentally I checked your music tastes and loved them.A quick search on spotify and I was able to listen to it.Aaah!! Wonder if I can do it so easily when Im back in India.Its just my kinda music although I have to admit I'm a total neophite in many ways about western music.On the positive side that just leaves me so much more to discover and look forward to :). I would love to meet up with you someday coz I live in Pune.
Incidentally whats your view about my impression that the NAD is cleaner and less agressive and possibly better sounding for vocal heavy kinda music than the Denons.Diana Krall, Chris Jones ...

Hi
I have had Denon PMA2ooo+dcd700 combination for quite a few years now.The Denon combo is smooth,reasonably detailed with a tuneful bass.In my upgrade search I have listened to premium marantz,midrange NAD and other systems.The only significant upgrade to whatever little I could listen to are good quality tubes or preminim brands like symphonic line.That speakes a lot. Demo the pma2000 and see if you like it. If so, try to get one cheap used (from abroad).
cheers
hi,Could not find the pma2000 in my quick net search and nor do I remember seeing it in the store.I did find the pma 2020 in my net search and if the 2000 was a slightly older version, I think that it is out of my league at the moment.I dont have the time to scout around for a used piece at the moment unfortunately.I am just about taking baby steps in the audiophile world :) although music has been my passion all my life thanks to a musical family and am a decent singer if I may say so with some blushes.Maybe that explains my taste for vocal heavy music.

I can see that you have a very respectable reputation in the forum, so I shall just take your word for it .I guess I'm just plain lousy at searching the forums and could not find enough references to NAD's. Incidentally I checked your music tastes and loved them.A quick search on spotify and I was able to listen to it.Aaah!! Wonder if I can do it so easily when Im back in India.Its just my kinda music although I have to admit I'm a total neophite in many ways about western music.On the positive side that just leaves me so much more to discover and look forward to :). I would love to meet up with you someday coz I live in Pune.
Incidentally whats your view about my impression that the NAD is cleaner and less agressive and possibly better sounding for vocal heavy kinda music than the Denons.Diana Krall, Chris Jones ...

Coolwave - you can drop my place anytime for a extended music session.
A few FM's in Pune runenigma, vicky, sagarvikram etc meet up on and off and shack up for drinks and music. However its been a while since we have done that

Coming down to Denon vs Nad saga.
Considering the models you are contemplating. NAD would get the thumbs up. If you can increase your budget the 326 is the much safer bet than the 316.

Yes NAD is less aggressive than the Denon . However the newer breed of NAD's tend towards a more neutral presentation. the older models were known be slightly bass heavy and rounded off on the higher spectrum

But everything boils down to synergy between the amp and the speakers.

NAD + PSB
NAD + Paradigm
NAD + KEF
etc etc etc are all good combinations

I have personally never owned a NAD and may never own one however FM ruenigma has the 315 / 326/356 and with the listening sessions at his house as well as at Viki's as well as some meets.
So pretty well versed with the NAD sound. Yet to hear the master series though

Since you are in Germany. There are a lot of other brands with you can audition as well

Rotel, Cambridige Audio, Yamaha, Arcam etc etc.

Last edited:
A very interesting discussion this.

@Coolwave: I've heard the said Denon combo and I share your observations, about the AMP. The Denon CDP however is another story. It sounds clean, full bodied and articulate. For the price it's got some serious class.

Like flash mentioned the 326 is a far better choice if you compare the price difference (6k INR ). However it's recommended that you audition extensively and not limit yourself to these few brands. Being in Germany you are at an advantage, use it to good effect.

And about the meetups, I guess one is coming up at FM sagarvikram's place this weekend. :D

I have written a lot about NAD in this forum, I strongly recomend to audition NAD before buy it. For my ears, sound of NAD is loud not musical at all. If you check on sale forum you get an idea on availability and time taken to sell NAD. On other hand Psb b6 is an amazing speaker.

In my review on NAD 326 I rated it below HT-3300 for music. Denon and marantz are far superior to NAD from my experience.

Hi, I shall take up on the offer of the musical education at some of the meet ups once I am back in India in May :).Incidentally I auditioned the NAD and the Marantz today on a KEF R series/ B&W and once again I kind of liked the NAD sound better.The store had some heavy duty stuff, but I just did not have the time.Maybe over the weekend, but all the rest are way way out of my league, but worth auditioning all the same while I can :)

A very interesting discussion this.

@Coolwave: I've heard the said Denon combo and I share your observations, about the AMP. The Denon CDP however is another story. It sounds clean, full bodied and articulate. For the price it's got some serious class.

Like flash mentioned the 326 is a far better choice if you compare the price difference (6k INR ). However it's recommended that you audition extensively and not limit yourself to these few brands. Being in Germany you are at an advantage, use it to good effect.

And about the meetups, I guess one is coming up at FM sagarvikram's place this weekend. :D
@ruenigma since you seem to be a NAD person, but speak also highly of the Denon CDP, you may have some idea about the prices.I would like to know the price of the NAD 326BEE and NAD 515 in India. Here I am getting it for approx NAD326 - 29K NAD515 - 17K after conversion. Unless there is substantial difference I may not bother to get them back to India.
The Denon 720 CDP is also around 17K and the Denon 720 Amp also around 17K. I know that the Denon's for some reason are way too in India.I am getting the Denon for almost half the price I think here in Germany.But as I posted earlier I much prefered the NAD's over Denons.If you have an idea it would also be a factor in helping me decide whether to get it from germany or just go ahead in India.

@ruenigma since you seem to be a NAD person, but speak also highly of the Denon CDP, you may have some idea about the prices.I would like to know the price of the NAD 326BEE and NAD 515 in India. Here I am getting it for approx NAD326 - 29K NAD515 - 17K after conversion. Unless there is substantial difference I may not bother to get them back to India.
The Denon 720 CDP is also around 17K and the Denon 720 Amp also around 17K. I know that the Denon's for some reason are way too in India.I am getting the Denon for almost half the price I think here in Germany.But as I posted earlier I much prefered the NAD's over Denons.If you have an idea it would also be a factor in helping me decide whether to get it from germany or just go ahead in India.

C326 BEE - 33k
CD 515 - 21K

Denon 720 CDP - 23k (Last I checked, not sure about the recent prices)

I see its a lot of savings getting it from there. Are the prices you mention including VAT? Can you reclaim the VAT on the way home? That might make it a sweeter deal.

@ruenigma since you seem to be a NAD person, but speak also highly of the Denon CDP

PS: I use a CA CDP in my setup but got it just because it was a really sweet deal, it ended being a great buy. So try out the CA lineup as well. The MS Aviano + CA 640 was one of the best entry level stereo setups.

The bottomline is there is no holy grail. Keep listening to your options till you are sure you want to loosen the purse knots.

I understand Nad C326bee is around 32k in india, so for 3k diff it may not make much sense buying nad c326bee from Germany, plus transportation risk and the risk of custom duty. or you may check if there is vat refund and what is the additional saving due to vat refund and then decide. if you decides to buy a denon then obviously 17k price is almost half of the price in india, so make sense buying from Germany.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back