Denon AVR 3700 or 4700

Harry Gudino

I have Denon 2300 and want to upgrade. I have Polk ES60, 30 and FXIA6 surround.
Would like to go for AVR suits for this. Pl suggest whether Denon 3700 or 4700. Also suitable dolby atmos. I have yamaha AW 390 speakers. Whether I can use this for atmos

Would like to go for AVR suits for this. Pl suggest whether Denon 3700 or 4700. Also suitable dolby atmos. I have yamaha AW 390 speakers. Whether I can use this for atmos
4700 is the better avr. It supports auro 3d as well. Go for it if the price difference isn’t huge. Interms of sound quality 3700 should be equally good to 4700

Hi,
Doesn't the 2300 support DA? Or is it that you are looking for 9 channel processing? Or pre-outs?

Depending on requirements, I'd suggest between the two, pick up an outgoing 3700 at a good price. Hardly a difference worth the price to the 4700.

All said, if you could mention why you wanna upgrade, it would help more knowledgeable FMs chip in.
Regards and best

Hi,
Doesn't the 2300 support DA? Or is it that you are looking for 9 channel processing? Or pre-outs?

Depending on requirements, I'd suggest between the two, pick up an outgoing 3700 at a good price. Hardly a difference worth the price to the 4700.

All said, if you could mention why you wanna upgrade, it would help more knowledgeable FMs chip in.
Regards and best
Thanks. I also thought for 3700. But I don’t want to change again. Existing receiver which I am using 2300 is basic one and I upgraded my speakers I want AV receiver which can match and also I want dolby atmos good output. One more clarity I require that is 2300 having 95 watts for 8 ohms, 3700 105 and 4700 125.
And moreover I am not keen for getting more channels. So need to know 3700 or 4700

4700 will have preamp mode with individual poweramp stage shutdown.Overall more power will have better control over speakers. lf difference is lot,then Polks will be happy with 3700 too.Just check if any feature you need is missing.

If possible wait for 3800 ..
Totally agree - it has Auro 3D, individual preamp mode, support for Dirac, and will be a current model if you’re not looking to upgrade soon. 3700H is a 2020 model, the 3800H has been released internationally, just not in India yet. They must be still liquidating old stock but IMHO the feature differential is worth waiting for

Totally agree - it has Auro 3D, individual preamp mode, support for Dirac, and will be a current model if you’re not looking to upgrade soon. 3700H is a 2020 model, the 3800H has been released internationally, just not in India yet. They must be still liquidating old stock but IMHO the feature differential is worth waiting for
Yeah..
With dirac it will be a huge upgrade

What would be the street price of 3800 in India whenever it becomes? More than 1.2 lakhs? Any guesses?

What would be the street price of 3800 in India whenever it becomes? More than 1.2 lakhs? Any guesses?
still there is no update about indian prices . one dealer in Bangalore said it will cost above 2L. but in the international market price is around 1.2 - 1.5L. it was planned to come to the european market on the 20th . but they postponed it to the first week of November .

still there is no update about indian prices . one dealer in Bangalore said it will cost above 2L. but in the international market price is around 1.2 - 1.5L. it was planned to come to the european market on the 20th . but they postponed it to the first week of November .
Frankly speaking the Denon 4xxx or Marantz SR 7xxx ideally shouldn't be costing more than Rs. 1,50,000 which was the case just a couple of years ago.
Paying 2 lakhs or more for them is a ridiculous price which does not make them a vfm proposition at all.

“I had high hopes going into this review thinking the company had seen the advantage its superior objective measurements in the past and would try to capitalize on them. Sadly, the reverse seems to be true with the DAC section taking a large step backward. Considering that the 3800 costs $500 more than 3700H, this is very surprising to me. Yes, inflation has a lot to do with that but surely the eye needed to be focused on making sure they at least met the same level of performance as last generation.”

Looks like they’ve cut costs and increased prices - I’ve read a lot of companies are facing DAC issues since the AKM fire

“I had high hopes going into this review thinking the company had seen the advantage its superior objective measurements in the past and would try to capitalize on them. Sadly, the reverse seems to be true with the DAC section taking a large step backward. Considering that the 3800 costs $500 more than 3700H, this is very surprising to me. Yes, inflation has a lot to do with that but surely the eye needed to be focused on making sure they at least met the same level of performance as last generation.”

Looks like they’ve cut costs and increased prices - I’ve read a lot of companies are facing DAC issues since the AKM fire
Why not try the Nad T758 V3 . It has 7 channels but should suffice in most cases plus with Dirac room correction. It may be around the same price as Denon.
At least they are honest about their power ratings.

Last edited:

Sounds unfortunate, especially considering Denon is not even contesting the deteriorated DAC claim. :(

I have a doubt though: will this affect overall performance in terms of sound, or does it apply only when used in pre-amp mode.

I would think overall, but the Denon defence of an undercut 3800 being "good enough for 99% external amps out there" sounds weird.

Why not try the Nad T758 V3 . It has 7 channels but should suffice in most cases plus with Dirac room correction. It may be around the same price as Denon.
At least they are honest about their power ratings.
Who is doing NAD in India?

Last edited:
One dealer said 1,99,000/- for 3800H is confirmed plus about 25,000-30,000 for Dirac

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back