Denon AVR lacks Bass ?

Rajkumars

I have Denon X500 BK.... Am currently using it without a subwoofer ....

I have Wharfedale Diamond 225's as front
Wharfedale 220c as centre
Wharfedale 220's as surrounds ....

I feel like Denon is lacking in the bass department .... and is not musical ....

Is it only with this Denon 500 AVR or all Denon models are like this (lacking bass) .... and it's been three years no problems with this AVR (liked the relability of Denon so much)

Am planning to upgrade to a new AVR that supports Atmos .... Should I stick with Denon move to another brand .... That doesn't lack bass ( I mean should be musical & should be good with movies too ) as well as reliable ....

Hi rajkumar...usually it is best to pair avr's with high sensitivity speakers. Usually above 90db at least. And even at those sensitivity levels, they are designed to use a sub woofer for the bass, so that the energy sapping bass spectrum, is handled by a active sub. And the avr is spared of, driving those hard bass loads.

In your case, you are running a full 5 channel load of bookshelves, which are not very efficient, directly out of the avr. You should be glad, it has not shut off under thermal protection . And it is absolutely not the denon's fault. And before you spend more money, maybe it is best to try adding a sub, just to cover frequencies below 60hz and give it a try. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised:)

All the best

Thanks .... Will definitely upgrade for audyssey & Atmos :)

Hi again rajkumar...even if you change the avr for an atmos one . You will still lack bass, because you dont have a sub woofer. Those power ratings on avr's are always a farce. Dont expect any avr unless it is a anthem or arcam or nad or cambridge audio to have the required power to drive the wharfdale 225 to their 40 hz lower thresholds with any sense of authority. So it means you still basically have a bass problem. So add a sub woofer to solve that. And then change your avr if you want atmos. Just changing your avr without adding a sub woofer will not solve your bass problem:)

I use Denon and I agree that without the subwoofer and even with good / sensitive front and surrounds denon lacks bass. Audyssey, etc dont help in this department. When budgeting for a denon, if you need bass, you need to budget for a good sub.

Your AVR has tone control that allows you to increase the bass up to 6 dB. Instead of buying a new receiver, why not simply raise the bass until you no longer find it lacking? Doesn't cost anything.

i am using my denon 1910 with a sub and it has good bass. You would definately require a good sub with any avr. Just add a good sub and you would find the difference.

What you need is a sub woofer to take on the bass duties. That will also reduce the load on amp trying to feed all the frequencies to a pair of bookshelves.

MaSh

You can check whether you have set the crossovers proper or not. Also keeping the front speakers as large will give you some more bass.

I feel like Denon is lacking in the bass department .... and is not musical ....

Is it only with this Denon 500 AVR or all Denon models are like this (lacking bass) .... and it's been three years no problems with this AVR (liked the relability of Denon so much)

Am planning to upgrade to a new AVR that supports Atmos .... Should I stick with Denon move to another brand .... That doesn't lack bass ( I mean should be musical & should be good with movies too ) as well as reliable ....

Hi

The honest truth is that this is an Entry level model of Denon and will not have certain features which is available in higher models. Denons which you get nowadays cater more towards the movie performance experience....if you are 50:50...then a Yamaha/Pioneer works well and more into music....Marantz rules.

Speakers depending on their size and cone material will produce a certain amount of low and high frequency......since there is no sub, speakers would be set to large or you can manually change them to large....then check what is the bass setting kept on.....also the kind of sources you feed into the AVR also matter in overall performance and so does speaker cable......

I used several NR series avrs of Marantz and then decided to try Denon X1200....i barely used it for 5 days and SOLD it...went back to Marantz NR1606 which provided a stellar performance. All Marantz models have the same features except the SR series has higher grade components and 32XT Multi EQ... I currently use the SR series.

If changing the AVR (upgrade)....based on your budget, decide...audition where possible and also read through Owner threads (Marantz / Pioneer / Yamaha / Denon / HK).

All the best!

Bookshelves will not be sufficient to handle bass. You need to get a good sub woofer to get the bass. Floor standers handle bass better than bookshelves . Also check frequency response settings from your AV receiver. it should be 60 to 80 hz.
I did not use this denon AVR , though AVR does not seem to have any issue to produce bass , it all depends on speakers and AVR settings.

Marantz has issues with reliability ....

Well that may be your experience or what you heard....there are Owner threads here on the forum which speak of first hand experience and being a Marantz user for the past 6 to 7 years now ...no issues till date.

The HDMI burn board issue is common for all brands of AVRs due to Set Top box / Cable TV which can leak electric current through HDMI......

If the AVR (irrespective of brand or model) is used the way it is to be used, you will never face any challenges ( optimal settings, impedance matching, speaker matching, appropriate cooling / ventilation and placement)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back