Denon AVR X2600-H versus X3600-H, or should I go with Yamaha V685?

skumar

Reference: Denon 1600 versus 3600

Current (10yr old) setup: Yamaha V665 (HTR-6260) along with Axiom M3 (LR), VP 100 (C) and QS8 (SL, SR) speakers with BIC V1020 SW.
Listening Area: 15x12 open Hall/Living room with stairs on one side and high ceiling. 2 glass windows on L-shaped brick walls. No sound treatment on the walls.

The above equipment is still doing a commendable job (mainly movies) and with the recent addition of 4K TV with ARC etc, I would like to upgrade the AVR first. Then may be the SW later.

With the high ceilings, my atmos setup may atmost be 5.x.2, hence my upgrade search starts with Denon 2600. Price is not a consideration (within the range of these 3 AVRs that I am considering).
Note: The cabinet that hosts the AVR is a closed one, with mesh openings for airflow. However, I keep both the doors open whenever the AVR is on. The catch is that 3600 is a sung fit (depth wise) with 2" space at the back and top of the shelf while 2600 and 685 can have more space at the back and the top.

A few queries on what next:
a) Having lived with a Yamaha AVR so far, would like to go for a Denon now. Should I? (not sure if my Axioms are bright?)
b) Will 3600 be a significant improvement in Audio quality over 2600? Does it have substantially better DACs and/or amps compared to 2600?
c) Will the Audessy XT 32 in 3600 make a substantial difference or can a non-novice who is willing to spend time with Audessy XT acheive "near" equal results with 2600 calibration?
d) OK to loose out LFC, sub equalization, video upscaling, some zone 2 features of 3600 and go with 2600 if that makes sense

Thanks

Last edited:
i would go with X3600 as i have used both Audyssey xt & multieq32,it does make a significant difference(atleast in my room).
plus 3600 also has preouts and future ready with imax certification as well and 4 channel atmos configuration.

There is no comparison here. Denon 3600 is a higher model. If u have the budget you should go for it eyes closed

3600 obviously. What are you contemplating? Audyssey version itself makes a case for it. Rest is a bonus.

MaSh

There is no comparison here. Denon 3600 is a higher model. If u have the budget you should go for it eyes closed
3600 obviously. What are you contemplating? Audyssey version itself makes a case for it. Rest is a bonus.
Given the reputation of Denon AVRs running very hot and summer temperatures in Hyd touching 48c, I am wondering if the cramped cupboard will ruin the 3600?

Given the reputation of Denon AVRs running very hot and summer temperatures in Hyd touching 48c, I am wondering if the cramped cupboard will ruin the 3600?
Every avr runs hot. Yamaha, Denon marantz etc. You need to give some good ventilation or get a aircom cooling pad in case you will be using the avr with no proper ventilation

It's the decoding chip that generates the maximum heat in the modern receivers. They all need really good ventilation all around them. Cannot keep them inside anywhere.

MaSh

denon 3600h ,please use proper ventilaion for denon or else board may fail.Yamaha is rigid but denon is susceptible to heat

Every avr runs hot. Yamaha, Denon marantz etc. You need to give some good ventilation or get a aircom cooling pad in case you will be using the avr with no proper ventilation
After using all of 3 ,l can say Yamaha do not get as hot as Marantz or Denon.

It's the decoding chip that generates the maximum heat in the modern receivers. They all need really good ventilation all around them. Cannot keep them inside anywhere.

MaSh
I guess its Poweramp design which transmits more heat.Probably more current in Class A section in Marantz and Denon.When used headphone out of marantz for long,it does not heat up much.

After using all of 3 ,l can say Yamaha do not get as hot as Marantz or Denon.
I actually used Yamaha Yht299 for 3 years. Yes compared to my Denon 2400 and 4500 it didn’t get that hot but again the 2400 and 4500 is running on seven channels and more powerful speakers compared to the satellite speakers

I actually used Yamaha Yht299 for 3 years. Yes compared to my Denon 2400 and 4500 it didn’t get that hot but again the 2400 and 4500 is running on seven channels and more powerful speakers compared to the satellite speakers
Yes, still l can say my old 7 ch Yamaha 667 used to be warm and not as hot as marantz with same speaker setup.AVR design may be the reason.

In a couple of forums I have read that the new decoder chip in modern receivers generate a lot of heat. That contributes to the added heat. It's not entirely the amps. Hence you'll notice not much decrease in heat even when external power amps are used.

MaSh

I have used Denon AVRs in Chennai for more than 10 years now. Never faced a problem with over heating. Though must admit that the room in which we use it is air-conditioned.

My self used Yamaha previously and yes it does not generate that much of heat as that of denon. It gave me worries when intially i felt that denon is warm cause never felt any such thing with Yamaha but upon reading elsewhere I came to know that they get little hot.
Anyways coming to the real point, both Yamaha and Denon are great. If Denon then go for 3600 if you have the budget. But compare it with Yamaha also especially Aventage series.

The heat in most 4K AVRs is from the video card.
If you are keeping any AVR in an enclosed cabinet, please add some exhausts to the mix.

I have a temp monitor for my enclosed AVR/Amp setup and the enclosure idles at +6C over ambient, +10-11C after an hour or so of running with exhaust on (i.e. around 29-30C and 34-35C )
I have setup a alert mechanism if the temp in the closet goes over 44C - One fine day , i started getting alerts at 44 C which I ignored
10 mins later, I get an alert for 47C so I called home to switch off the AV system
When I checked later - guess what, the power supply cable for the exhaust was disconnected

The heat in most 4K AVRs is from the video card.
If you are keeping any AVR in an enclosed cabinet, please add some exhausts to the mix.

I have a temp monitor for my enclosed AVR/Amp setup and the enclosure idles at +6C over ambient, +10-11C after an hour or so of running with exhaust on (i.e. around 29-30C and 34-35C )
I have setup a alert mechanism if the temp in the closet goes over 44C - One fine day , i started getting alerts at 44 C which I ignored
10 mins later, I get an alert for 47C so I called home to switch off the AV system
When I checked later - guess what, the power supply cable for the exhaust was disconnected
That’s seem interesting and useful would you mind sharing your temp control setup , I would also like to implement the same

Back