Denon AVR1612, no audio over HDMI (in A52 over S/PDIF mode)

chiraagm

I have a Denon AVR1612 connected to a 5.1 setup (old sony speakers). This setup has been as it is for over a year and half.

I have no Blue-ray or other player, and generally play all my media (movies/music) through my laptop. My current setup is Laptop to AVR (via HDMI) and AVR to LED TV (via HDMI).

I have always used VLC to play mkv files, and generally use the A/52 over S/PDIF feature of VLC to pass through the decoding of the audio to the receiver. This is known since using the Movies button (on the Denon remote) I would get the DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 option (depending on the audio in the movie file). If I did not use this option, I would receive no DTS/Dolby Digital option and instead I would get the Multi-Channel In (which I assume means that the decoding is done by the software/codec on my computer)

Lately when I do this (switch to A52 over S/PDIF in VLC) there is no sound from the speakers, while if I switch to the 5.1 mode, I will start getting the sound again. While I do not know much about this stuff, I assumed that the DAC part in the AVR is acting up (since randomly it would have audio, when playing with A52 over S/PDIF).

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I have read somewhere that opening the AVR (since my warranty is void) and unplugging and plugging back the HDMI board sometimes does the trick, any one tried this?

On a side note, since currently I am using the PC to decode the audio and pass it to the receiver as a multi-channel audio, would an external sound card (such as the Sound Blaster Audigy NX) do a better job of processing the audio and passing it to the receiver then the current on-board sound. And how would I connect the external sound card to the DVR?

Thanks,
Chiraag

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back