Denon D-M39 Germany to India?

coolwave

Hi Everyone,

Firstly am I glad to have discovered a site for true blue audiophiles!!Kudos to the site and its founders.

So here goes my background and query.
I would like to listen primarily to music. I listen to classic rock from the 70's, 80's and some from the 90's. 80's Pop, some blues and western classical, indian classical and indian contemporary music.
My room size is 17X13.

I am not a complete audiophile(yet!). Also since I have a 3.5 year old extremely active and sometimes extremely destructive son I dare not venture into the really Hi-Fi territory just yet. I would like to start small in earnest.

I am in Germany at the moment and am thinking of buying the Denon d-M39 Micro Component System consisting of D-M39 Stereo CD Receiver RCD-M39 and quality speakers SC-M39.
The price here is roughly 23000 INR which is roughly half the advertised price on the profx site which was 44900INR.

DENON DE | D-M39

I listened to Denon M39 and Onkyo CS555 , and I liked the Denon more.
Queries.
1. The input power for the system is 230V 50/60 Hz. I guess that should make it safe to plug it in India without problems.Correct?
2.At just under the 25K limit at the Mumbai customs I'm hoping I can manage to get thru without being hasseled. What is your opinion and experience?
3. The dealers here give a 2 year warranty as is std. for all electronic equipment sold in Germany. So quality should not be an issue, but when I asked for intl. warranty I was told the warranty is valid only within Germany.
What are the chances of damage if I pack it as original and take it back to India with me as checked-in baggage on Emirates airline under the "fragile" guideline?
4. What is the experience of service in India for Denon products?
5. This fits my budget,carry size, weight and most importantly I loved the sound.
Considering the 4 previous questions,overall is it a sound idea to get this system to India?
6. This version allows an optical digital input for input from digital devices like TV. In your experience does it make sense to hook the TV to such a system. This is not my main intent in using the system, however considering that most LCD's have below average sound output, I thought maybe it was worth a consideration. What is your opinion?

Sorry too many questions from a newbie :).
Its great to be a part of this community. I would love to hear from my fellow hifivisionaries.
Cheers!

1) Yes it is safe to plug it in - You will need an adapter from a German plug to Indian plug
2) No experience
3) Make sure when you pack it -- it includes the original cushioning- and add an extra layer of towels around it
4) Pretty good- No experience with this model
5) Give it a try
6) Looks like this supports 2.1 (Left, Right and a Sub) -- Connect the optical output from the TV to DM39 and Connect it to an excellent set of speakers- such as Paradigm Cinema or Paradigm Millenia and you will have excellent sound

Thanks Thtpro. It helps to get feeback from exprienced guys.
Actually the package includes Denon SC-M39 2 way speaker.You are correct that an active subwoofer can also be added.
The packaging is fairly large so I dont think I can fit it into a suitcase and dont see the chance to add a layer of towels.It weights 15 Kgs with packaging. I hope to check it in as check-in baggage and with original packing I hope it survives the travel.Fingers crossed.
Cheers!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back