Denon DRA-800h Stereo Receiver

argho

Hi All.

Just bought a Denon DRA-800h stereo receiver from ProFX.

Intent is to use for stereo only - ie its in my living room and not connected to a TV.

I am using Wharefdale floor standers, and a sub.

The reason I upgraded my setup is because this is an all in one solution. I got tired of various dongles and connectors for sources.
I got tired of Amp + dongles + Streamers.

The connectivity that the Denon gives me :

1. Bluetooth

2. USB drive (can read NTFS formatted drives !) - thisis a biggie. Until now Denon could only read FAT32 drives, limited to 32GB. I have hooked up a 1TB HDD with my entire music collection Plays flawlessly. FLAC files and Apple lossless.

3. Natively streams Spotify and Amazon Prime Music.

How is the sound ?
Typically Denon - clear and powerful. Effortless power.

Am really happy with my purchase.

I know there are others exploring similar solutions.
Do let me know if any queries.

I was considering Marantz NR1200 and ProFX suggested this to me. Do you have any insight into how they compare.

Also, which Wharfedale floor standers are you using this with?

I was considering Marantz NR1200 and ProFX suggested this to me. Do you have any insight into how they compare.

Also, which Wharfedale floor standers are you using this with?

I have the same query....NR1200 or this Denon?

I have the Marantz PM 6006 and I quite like the Marantz sound. Also is this Denon or the NR1200 a good step up from the PM6006 in terms of sound? I am using it with my Energy CF-70 floor standing speakers

Last edited:
I think the feature set is very similar between the Denon DRA 800h and the Marantz NR1200.

I guess slight difference in sound signature - Denon Sound v/s Marantz sound, though I must clarify I havent heard the Maranzt NR1200, though I do own another Marantz amp.

The one feature difference I found - and others can jump in in case I am incorrect :
- The Denon can read NTFS formatted USB drives. Which means I can attach a 256GB stick with my entire music collection
- The Marantz can read only FAT32 formatted USB drives, which means 32GB limit in size

For me this is quite an important feature difference.

Every organization have network enable stereo receiver in their products catalog like Denon DRA-800, Marantz NR1200, Yamaha RN803D, Onkyo TX 8260/70 and Pioneer SX N30AE. All models are similarly priced with almost same power and same features but what make Onkyo and Pioneer different is that both come with built in full set of MQA decoder . You can decode Tidal Masters (MQA) to full potential for rich and articulated music. Audition Onkyo or Pioneer (MQA) before selection of any stereo receiver.

I think the feature set is very similar between the Denon DRA 800h and the Marantz NR1200.

I guess slight difference in sound signature - Denon Sound v/s Marantz sound, though I must clarify I havent heard the Maranzt NR1200, though I do own another Marantz amp.

The one feature difference I found - and others can jump in in case I am incorrect :
- The Denon can read NTFS formatted USB drives. Which means I can attach a 256GB stick with my entire music collection
- The Marantz can read only FAT32 formatted USB drives, which means 32GB limit in size

For me this is quite an important feature difference.

Thanks for the feedback...

Pardon my ignorance but how is the Denon sound different form the Marantz sound?

Topic which has been debated a lot. Just google.

My simplisitic take :
- Denon comes across as powerful and puchy
- Marantz comes across as smooth and slightly warm
This looks like a great buy....did you notice any sync issues? Some reviews on amazon.com mention that...Thanks again for all your help

This looks like a great buy....did you notice any sync issues? Some reviews on amazon.com mention that...Thanks again for all your help

Can you clarify what you mean by sync issues ? I have not faced any problems playing form USB, Spotify or Amazon Prime music, via the HEOS app.

Can you clarify what you mean by sync issues ? I have not faced any problems playing form USB, Spotify or Amazon Prime music, via the HEOS app.
These were sync issues when playing video. After reading the review and comments, realized the reviewer was trying to use the amp with a soundbar!! :)

No I haven't. Those are stereo amplifiers without network features that I wanted.

Thank you for your wonderful review and help. Placed an order with hifimart this past weekend for the Denon....hopefully should be here by this weekend!

Hi All.

Just bought a Denon DRA-800h stereo receiver from ProFX.

Intent is to use for stereo only - ie its in my living room and not connected to a TV.

I am using Wharefdale floor standers, and a sub.

The reason I upgraded my setup is because this is an all in one solution. I got tired of various dongles and connectors for sources.
I got tired of Amp + dongles + Streamers.

The connectivity that the Denon gives me :

1. Bluetooth

2. USB drive (can read NTFS formatted drives !) - thisis a biggie. Until now Denon could only read FAT32 drives, limited to 32GB. I have hooked up a 1TB HDD with my entire music collection Plays flawlessly. FLAC files and Apple lossless.

3. Natively streams Spotify and Amazon Prime Music.

How is the sound ?
Typically Denon - clear and powerful. Effortless power.

Am really happy with my purchase.

I know there are others exploring similar solutions.
Do let me know if any queries.
You got it from Chennai PROFX ?

Topic which has been debated a lot. Just google.

My simplisitic take :
- Denon comes across as powerful and puchy
- Marantz comes across as smooth and slightly warm
I got my Denon DRA 800H over the weekend. Love the features. But what I noticed is that compared to my Marantz PM6006 I need to drive the volume upto 50 to get it going. As far as I remember for similar output I did not need to get the volume that high on the Marantz.

When you set it up did you change any levels on the speakers?

I got my Denon DRA 800H over the weekend. Love the features. But what I noticed is that compared to my Marantz PM6006 I need to drive the volume upto 50 to get it going. As far as I remember for similar output I did not need to get the volume that high on the Marantz.

When you set it up did you change any levels on the speakers?

No I did not.

At level 50 its quite loud.

Not sure if the numbers directly read across from Marantz to Denon (or even between Denons across different models).
The number displayed seems a bit arbitrary (can anyone throw light on this?).

Also, do not think full is 100.

I have never been able to go beyong 65 or so.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back