Denon M38DAB or better setup? -- oh man, it's confusing

shaiju_o_thomas

Hi,

My ageing mini-hifi has prompted me to look for an upgrade. See a lot of options on HFV and truth be told - I was never more confused. CDP, PreAmp, PowerAmp, Speakers -bookshelf / floorstanding, etc - me alien to most term.

Need help. My room is 16x11. Want to get a decent stero setup for 30K max. Was looking at the Denon D-M38DAB / RCD-M38. Any take on it or better suggestion for the room size and budget? This will be my first investment in a stereo setup, so don't want to go overboard.

I will be buying separate system for movies. Already posting on relevant threads.

thanks,
Shaiju

Last edited:
I did a bit of reading on M38. It can be paired wirh separate speakers. Any suggestion for speakers to be paired with M38? I like the looks of floorstanders.

Planning to buy within a week.

Yes, indeed, you can buy without the speakers also, and save some money there. Pair it with the Q Acoustics 2010, great synergy, far better than the ones supplied with.

:)

Cool!

Any indicative price for speakers. Now to find a place in Mumbai where I can audition before buying.

Edit: Any floorstanders?

Last edited:
Sure, maybe the supplied speakers are good enough.

Mridulgoel is a distributor for Delhi/B'lore. Couldn't find anything for QA 2010 in price thread.

The speakers that come along with are quite good, I didnt feel the need to have separate speakers, though based on the reviews I did inquire before buying the package whether I could avoid taking the speakers - the answer was a flat 'no'. I am amazed by the sound clarity and the depth, this is used by my mother in her room, even though I have a full fledged AV receiver and speakers in my hall.
I would strongly recommend M38DAB as it is also, purely for audio.
Further you should get it at a 10% discount to the MRP of 31K.
:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Shanks:cool:

Profx was short of stock. Nudged up my budget a bit and going in for amp and floorstanders.

Planning to visit The Shop, Andheri and a few others this weekend. You are from Mumbai - want to join in and help out?

Thanks Shanks:cool:

Profx was short of stock. Nudged up my budget a bit and going in for amp and floorstanders.

Planning to visit The Shop, Andheri and a few others this weekend. You are from Mumbai - want to join in and help out?

Thanks for the invite, definitely would love to join, but currently I am down the weather. Please pm me your mobile no. and I shall sms you mine. We can touch base separately.

BTW - Manoj at ProFx at mentioned me that they were expecting stocks in November, not sure if it was to be based on orders they receive in advance.

Visited The Shop, Alliance Four and Viola at Andheri (W).

The Shop
- Has all Wharfedale and Jamo. I really did not like the Jamo. There is no expert ears required to hear how sad they can sound.
- Checked out Wharf Diamond 10.4 and Vardus 400 paired with Denon 710AE. Maybe it's my ears but the 10.4 sounded very very flat and muddled. The Vardus sounded better but again it did only voice nicely but not the instruments (I hear Bollywood a lot).

Denon 710AE - 28K
Wharf Vardus 400 - 21K
Final price for both - 43.5K (after bargaining)

Alliance Four
- They have opened a better branch at Goregaon. Will check it out on Sunday.
- They had Wharf 9.5 with CA 550A and (not sure which) CA CD player. I liked the 9.5. Guess the Denon 710 will be a better match than CA 550A.

Denon 710AE - 25K
Wharf 9.5 - 25K
Final price for both - 50K (no bargaining)

Viola
- Shocked!!! The guy at the shop hit his assistant - thaaaad. Not sure for what but that was humiliating. I just kept staring at my friend. Should have walked out that moment I feel now.
- He showed me Jamo S606, Klipsch RF-52 and Polk Audio RTiA7.
- Marantz PM6002 was in stock for 16.5K

All the FS he played had bass as if there was a SW connected. Even on my friend hinting the shop guy said - "Who would connect SW to FS?". Hmm, I am new and can't judge but surely my ears can hear extra bass only at Viola.

Well, I was not interested in anything he had and walked out.

I am now inclined towards Wharf 9.5 and Denon 710 combo. Is Marantz 7003 a good partner for 9.5?

As much I heard of the Wharf 10.4 they sound really... umm... sad (no offence to any who has 10.4). Maybe the 10.5 is better.

Thanks to Ali, Shankar. I keep calling them in between as this is my first setup. Ditto to Kittu and Titus for sparing some time.

Guys, this is fun! Some stamps of approval and I'll book this week.

Last edited:
Shaiju, good going man. Why dont you try to get a listen to a few more brands before you pull the trigger? Like the Paradigms, PSBs, QA, Mission, Norge FS.

And if you do have upgrade plans for sometime, then I suggest you also look at used integrateds and spend more on speakers.

Yes, sure would. Will land up at Lakozy, Marine Drive later today.

I was looking at Polk Audio TSi400 when I began and that was a short infatuation. With some advice I am able to get closer to what will suit me... :)

Keeping fingers crossed for PSB and Paradigm demos.

Edit: Why do these guys demo at insanely loud volumes? Alliance Four was the only shop that played at acceptable levels.

Last edited:
Probably to create an impression that the product can handle that kinda power and also that you wont need another one for parties!

Some one quoted 30k for Klipsch synergy F20 series today .. (Kolkata) .. See if you can listen to the speakers locally and if you like them you can buy from kolkata .. Thats a pretty good price ... :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back