Denon vs Marantz

Love4sound

Dear FM’s

I know this is much discussed and the common conclusion is Denon for movies, Marantz for both movies and music. Many would have heard in different set ups so it’s just fair to say the best way to conclude is side by side comparison in same set up. I am not sure if it’s fare to put an old 7010 against the new 4500 but since I got it want to pitch in with my observations. I myself after listening to multiple set ups concluded that both are same when it comes to performance. In my set up I found the Denon more aggressive, punchy, bold with the sound stage and the Marantz to be soft and warm. In airplay listening to music in pure direct also it was the same. Marantz sounded slightly clean but Denon was more aggressive and punchy. And while changing songs in my iPhone I get a cracking sound due to the song being changed in the Denon but in the Marantz it was clean. But note 7010 is an old model and I have seen many Denon 4300,4400 users also mentioning the same after upgrading to the 4500 that it feels more aggressive,punchy and bold compared to the previous models.

Conclusion:
I liked the Denon 4500 for both movies and music. It was bold and aggressive compared to the Marantz 7010 which was very soft to my liking.

9D2CCCFE-DC56-4940-AAF2-C964A0C782C2.jpeg55C7C7DE-D254-4147-89E8-354095DB919B.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi bro...Thanks for sharing...
Did you ran audyssey calibration for marantz avr.? Or with audyssey off

Hi bro...Thanks for sharing...
Did you ran audyssey calibration for marantz avr.? Or with audyssey off
I ran audyssey as I received a factory reset avr. Values were slightly different and it sounded horrible. So I made the changes to the values as set in Denon and it was much better. One more point I forgot to add was since the sound was so warm and soft in the Marantz at certain scenes the sub sounded boomy.

Ok..fair enough....personally for me, both sounded more or less the same, when i went from denon x3300 to marantz 6013. One thing which was consistent was low subwoofer trim level on both and had to workaround on both to get optimum bass performance..

Ok..fair enough....personally for me, both sounded more or less the same, when i went from denon x3300 to marantz 6013. One thing which was consistent was low subwoofer trim level on both and had to workaround on both to get optimum bass performance..
Ok but 6013 is a new model.

Dear FM’s

I know this is much discussed and the common conclusion is Denon for movies, Marantz for both movies and music. Many would have heard in different set ups so it’s just fair to say the best way to conclude is side by side comparison in same set up. I am not sure if it’s fare to put an old 7010 against the new 4500 but since I got it want to pitch in with my observations. I myself after listening to multiple set ups concluded that both are same when it comes to performance. In my set up I found the Denon more aggressive, punchy, bold with the sound stage and the Marantz to be soft and warm. In airplay listening to music in pure direct also it was the same. Marantz sounded slightly clean but Denon was more aggressive and punchy. And while changing songs in my iPhone I get a cracking sound due to the song being changed in the Denon but in the Marantz it was clean. But note 7010 is an old model and I have seen many Denon 4300,4400 users also mentioning the same after upgrading to the 4500 that it feels more aggressive,punchy and bold compared to the previous models.

Conclusion:
I liked the Denon 4500 for both movies and music. It was bold and aggressive compared to the Marantz 7010 which was very soft to my liking.

View attachment 40268View attachment 40269

Nice detailed review and most would partially agree to some of the points as everyone has different hearing preferences and settings.

There were many small reviews posted a couple of years back among both these brands which are made by the same company!

It is good that we have also separate Owner Brand threads available for existing and potential owners to discuss review and share experiences.

Dear FM’s

Conclusion:

Dear FM’s

Conclusion:

Hi Love4sound, good review, this may help people to choose. If you call the Marantz SR 7010 warm then I can't imagine what you would have said about the Marantz SR 8200 which I found even more warmer. :D. I still miss that warm sound very much but I guess sound preference is very subjective.

Nice detailed review and most would partially agree to some of the points as everyone has different hearing preferences and settings.

There were many small reviews posted a couple of years back among both these brands which are made by the same company!

It is good that we have also separate Owner Brand threads available for existing and potential owners to discuss review and share experiences.

Hi Love4sound, good review, this may help people to choose. If you call the Marantz SR 7010 warm then I can't imagine what you would have said about the Marantz SR 8200 which I found even more warmer. :D. I still miss that warm sound very much but I guess sound preference is very subjective.
Yup but I think the later xx13 series would be more bold with the soundstage. Even though Denon is bold,muscular,punchy and aggressive it maintains the subtleness and does sound warm where it needs to be. The 4500 is a new model and falls in the midrange so it is to be expected and the equivalent 7013 should be also equally good

Yup but I think the later xx13 series would be more bold with the soundstage. Even though Denon is bold,muscular,punchy and aggressive it maintains the subtleness and does sound warm where it needs to be. The 4500 is a new model and falls in the midrange so it is to be expected and the equivalent 7013 should be also equally good

Absolutely. I think even Audyssey XT 32 seems to add some of brightness if I am not mistaken depending on mike position & certain other factors. Have run Audyssey 3 times & I have got slight audible differences in tone in the SR7011 in all the 3 versions. Hence went with the warmest one. Wish the bass/treble tones were also active with the EQ on so one can further tweak tone according to preference.

Absolutely. I think even Audyssey XT 32 seems to add some of brightness if I am not mistaken depending on mike position & certain other factors. Have run Audyssey 3 times & I have got slight audible differences in tone in the SR7011 in all the 3 versions. Hence went with the warmest one. Wish the bass/treble tones were also active with the EQ on so one can further tweak tone according to preference.
I did it with Denon. Ran audyssey once with the Marantz and then used the same values of the Denon. It sounded perfect. Even the results where similar

Denon and marantz should consider providing parametric eq for advanced users just like Yamaha, atleast in higher Models...
Even the graphical eq which denon and marantz have only go up 60hz. No way to adjust below that...

Denon and marantz should consider providing parametric eq for advanced users just like Yamaha, atleast in higher Models...
Even the graphical eq which denon and marantz have only go up 60hz. No way to adjust below that...

Absolutely, people should get to tweak preferences with the expensive units. In a recording studio the sound engineer would record at reference levels but he may control the tone sometimes as per his/her preference which may not agree with someone else. I may be wrong since I am not an audiophile but I like the sound tone with a little warm garnishing.:)

the denon is much more aggrasive and punchier as stated above. even the middle end models have better bottom end compared to marantz 7 series.

Recently I have shifted from Denon AVR 2113 to Marantz NR1608. In my experience Marantz is more detail and clear in high frequencies with vocals little forward and bold. Low end is soft and polite ,where as Denon was tight and agile in low end with ok vocals and some what less detail . Marantz presents micro dynamics better than Denon. I always blame my BA A360 for details and laid back sound but after Marantz there is huge improvement in sound quality. Marantz is musical and relaxed ( more suited for music) where as Denon is aggressive and attacking ( more suited for movies). Now I am using Marantz as pre amplifier and Denon as power amplifier for front speakers and combo works great for movies as well as music. I have compared 2013 Denon model with 2018 Marantz model. Now current Denon may compete better with Marantz. Both are great in their own regards, owner will never regret for either purchase.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back