Denon x2600h or Pioneer VSX LX304

srbarena

Hi folks, I am new to this forum. Greetings! Hope everyone’s safe.

I am planning to setup my HT from scratch. I’ve zeroed in on Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 speaker package and plan to add Polk rc60i for the heights at a later stage(need to get false ceiling installed).
I am not able to finalize on 2 aspects, any suggestions would help.
1. Should I go for 4 channel heights for Atmos? Will there be a significant difference from 2 channel?
2. Which AVR works best with Q Acoustics ? I’ve short listed Denon x2600h, Onkyo NR696 and Pioneer VSX LX 304. Now I know pioneer is 9.2, but since the price diff isn’t much I am tempted to go for pioneer. Wonder how it’d sound with the QA 3050i. Denon X3600h will be outside budget range.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your responses. There is one problem I read about with Pioneer AVRs, it doesn’t allow changing individual speaker crossover setting. Is there a way around it?

If I am not wrong, the M Z Audio handles Marantz and Pioneer a/v products in India. I am really happy with their service ( I am Marantz owner and Purchase my speakers from MZ Audio, Mumbai). Only Pioneer owner can throw light on this after sale service issue. Now current Pioneer VSX LX series is very much comparable with similar price AVR from other brands. Pioneer offers better quality, more power and robust amplifier section. Their room calibration system MCACC ( have no experience) may not be as good as Audyssey in Denon. Individual crossover may add flexibility but most of the time users use standard crossover 100Hz for all speakers . Had auditioned SC LX series in past and and how flawlessly they deliver the power was a striking factor. ( similar to Yamaha A Series avr). Audition both avr before purchase. QA 3050i 5.1 set seems to be favorite among FM and may work better with Marantz SR5014.

Pioneers r D class amps and run a lot cooler than Denons AB which run quite hot. Macac room eq sucks, audyssey anyday better. I too heard Pioneer spares take little longer to arrive. And yes the speaker crossover settings r a big downer.

Marantz and Denon is owned by one company and the UI is same for both, whereas Onkyo owns Pioneer now. I recently bought 2600H after being in the same debate as you are. Did a lot of research before buying 2600H. There is a reason why Pioneer are cheap it's because of its hardware and the resale value. Most of the reputable dealers recommended Denon over Pioneer.

Dealers recommending a particular brand could be because they are invested?

I have an old Denon which is built like a tank and weighs the part. And drives very well.

When I upgraded I did a lot of research and chose Pioneer LX59 over corresponding models from Denon etc (2015 model). Pioneer had a fantastic team til 2015 but later was diluted. So I can’t comment of models from 2016 or after.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I am new to this forum. Greetings! Hope everyone’s safe.

I am planning to setup my HT from scratch. I’ve zeroed in on Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 speaker package and plan to add Polk rc60i for the heights at a later stage(need to get false ceiling installed).
I am not able to finalize on 2 aspects, any suggestions would help.
1. Should I go for 4 channel heights for Atmos? Will there be a significant difference from 2 channel?
2. Which AVR works best with Q Acoustics ? I’ve short listed Denon x2600h, Onkyo NR696 and Pioneer VSX LX 304. Now I know pioneer is 9.2, but since the price diff isn’t much I am tempted to go for pioneer. Wonder how it’d sound with the QA 3050i. Denon X3600h will be outside budget range.

Any thoughts?

btw my current speakers are ATC SCM40...but before that I had Concept 40s and the Pioneer drive the heck out of the 40s. It was a very satisfying combo even without a sub!

Thanks guys. I will probably talk to a few dealers, try and get a demo for both these and take a call.

Also, I recently came across an interesting speaker package, though I didn't find many reviews online - KEF t205 5.1. Any clue how they sound/ perform given the slimness compared to normal floorstanders / full systems?

Now I know pioneer is 9.2, but since the price diff isn’t much I am tempted to go for pioneer.

If you are tempted for Pioneer, then go for it.. Either a 7.1.2 set-up (or) 5.1.4 is possible, depending on your room dimensions..

How abt 9 identical speakers ?.. Rather than a specific brand-model, consider a speaker that has threaded hole inserts.. You can mount anywhere and tilt that to your listening position..

There is one problem I read about with Pioneer AVRs, it doesn’t allow changing individual speaker crossover setting. Is there a way around it?

Am not too sure if this model doesn't support induvidual crossover, but a global 80Hz/90Hz crossover should do for all speakers.. I don't think there would be a need for Height speakers to do low freq.. 90Hz should be good enough for heights..

Offload all the bass from speakers to subwoofers, to reproduce them efficiently..

Thanks guys. I will probably talk to a few dealers, try and get a demo for both these and take a call.

Just a word of caution in case you decide on Pioneer, came across below post from FM. Its worth checking with dealers or authorised service centre at your location.

Just a word of caution in case you decide on Pioneer, came across below post from FM. Its worth checking with dealers or authorised service centre at your location.

This is interesting, I didn't know before. Thanks for sharing. In that case I guess Denon/Marantz are the only viable options.

By the way, need some guidance on reliability of local dealers. I am based in Chennai and I received a few offers from dealers here for Denon x2600h(~50k), Denon x3600h(~80k) and Marantz sr6013(~75k). Also the Q Acoustics 3050i pack was being offered for ~1.1 lakhs. Are these genuine? I will anyway meet them in person and verify the product, sample bills etc. before making the purchase but wanted to get some thoughts if anyone has experience in buying speakers/AVRs at such low prices from local dealers.

By the way, need some guidance on reliability of local dealers. I am based in Chennai and I received a few offers from dealers here for Denon x2600h(~50k), Denon x3600h(~80k) and Marantz sr6013(~75k). Also the Q Acoustics 3050i pack was being offered for ~1.1 lakhs. Are these genuine? I will anyway meet them in person and verify the product, sample bills etc. before making the purchase but wanted to get some thoughts if anyone has experience in buying speakers/AVRs at such low prices from local dealers.

Can I have contact number or name, location of the dealer. Quoted pricing looks good. I'm also from Chennai.

Dealers recommending a particular brand could be because they are invested?

I have an old Denon which is built like a tank and weighs the part. And drives very well.

When I upgraded I did a lot of research and chose Pioneer LX59 over corresponding models from Denon etc (2015 model). Pioneer had a fantastic team til 2015 but later was diluted. So I can’t comment of models from 2016 or after.

Thats true for dealers dealing in specific brands. I am talking about local dealers who deal in both brands and recommended Denon.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back