Denon X550BT Technical Spec - Somebody explain

manojdaran

I havent unboxed my Denon X550BT yet. Today I came across this power specification of the AVR from the official website. They have mentioned 3 different poweramps, I dont understand a thing. Somebody explain please

Denon.PNG

PS: If those are the values of 5 Channels then what about the Sub

I havent unboxed my Denon X550BT yet. Today I came across this power specification of the AVR from the official website. They have mentioned 3 different poweramps, I dont understand a thing. Somebody explain please

View attachment 33287

The Avr willl have a pre-out. You need to connect a powered subwoofer which will have a LFE input i.e using a subwoofer cable from the avr pre-out to the sub woofer lfe input. The powerd subwoofer will have its own inbuilt amplifier to power the subwoofer.

The level of distortion is referred to by the '0.08% THD'. THD stands for Total Harmonic Distortion.
If the avr states 4-8 ohms then it means the amplifier has been designed to handle speakers of 4, 6 or 8 ohms.
so the power output of the avr driving a 8 ohm speakers at 2 channel mode will be 70w per channel at 0.08 distortion.

What would it be when it is 5ch driven with 6 ohm speakers?
I also have the same question running in my mind. None of the brands provide the exact power ratings when all the channels of the avr is utilized. I just assume 25-30% less then the 2 channel rating

Per the pic, when 2 channels (stereo) are driven at 8 Ohms, it produces 70 watts to each channel.. So all channels driven would be (guess) 40 watts..

What would it be when it is 5ch driven with 6 ohm speakers?

The same figures might slightly improve for 6 Ohms.. So ACD for 6 Ohms would roughly be 50 Watts (or) slightly more..

Sub has its own amplifier inbuilt and hence active sub.. Sub (volume) has no dependency on AVR, unless it is passive..

Speakers will work. If u check at the speaker specs there it will be mentioned. My speakers are rated at power handling from 20-125 watts. Speakers should not be over and under powered to their ratings.
Underpowered I agree. What you want is tons of headroom in an amp to get the best performance. If an amp has to be driven over 50% of it's volume, the distortion goes up. Like @elangoas mentioned, if they are sensitive enough, 50 watts should be plenty enough especially augmented with a powered sub woofer.

A good thumb rule would be to check how much power the unit consumes. Denon X550BT max power consumption is 310W.
Take away 20% for losses and powering up other circuitry. That leaves you with about 250W to be shared between 5 channels/speakers.
As @sud98 and @elangoas stated, the available power would be 40-50Wpc (or less) depending on the design of the amp, output drive stage.

Take into account only the 8 ohm, 20-20KHz spec. This is the only true number. Others are page fillers.
50W is a decent power capability if the speakers are high sensitivity (say 88-89dB SPL or more).
As always, amp speaker match/synergy goes a long way in getting it sound right.
Sub is not powered from AVR, it has its own amp (powered sub-woofer).

In my exp, I have found this:
1. An amp that has the capacity to drive higher current (ala higher wattage rating) with a lower rated speaker is OK
2. An amp that is rated lower than what the speaker can handle and if the speaker is low sensitivity is not a good match

Headroom is when the speaker suddenly/momentarily demands more power (due to impedance dip) and the amp has the capability of sourcing this current. This is what @tuff is referring to.

This is why folks try to get 8 ohm nominal speakers. Means, the speakers will normally hover at 8 ohm or higher (easy to drive) and only occasionally go below 8 ohms (say to 6 or 4 ohms or lower). Most amps can handle this behavior with relative ease.
When the speaker itself is rated 6 or 4 ohms, the amp has to really work hard continuously and needs oodles of power output to not get stressed out. A layman's explanation would be:
You can carry 5Kg everyday, but once in a while 25 Kg is OK. Your muscles have the reserve for these (normal amp 50-70W range)
If you have to carry 25 Kg everyday, your muscles need to be beefed up; you need to be a body builder (powerful amp 100-300W range)

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Raghu

This is why folks try to get 8 ohm nominal speakers. Means, the speakers will normally hover at 8 ohm or higher (easy to drive) and only occasionally go below 8 ohms (say to 6 or 4 ohms or lower). Most amps can handle this behavior with relative ease.
When the speaker itself is rated 6 or 4 ohms, the amp has to really work hard continuously and needs oodles of power output to not get stressed out. A layman's explanation would be:
You can carry 5Kg everyday, but once in a while 25 Kg is OK. Your muscles have the reserve for these (normal amp 50-70W range)
If you have to carry 25 Kg everyday, your muscles need to be beefed up; you need to be a body builder (powerful amp 100-300W range)

Awesome Explanation.....thats the reason I keep insisting on 8 ohms speakers for the last 2 decades in whatever setup I use.

A good thumb rule would be to check how much power the unit consumes. Denon X550BT max power consumption is 310W.
Take away 20% for losses and powering up other circuitry. That leaves you with about 250W to be shared between 5 channels/speakers.
As @sud98 and @elangoas stated, the available power would be 40-50Wpc (or less) depending on the design of the amp, output drive stage.

Take into account only the 8 ohm, 20-20KHz spec. This is the only true number. Others are page fillers.
50W is a decent power capability if the speakers are high sensitivity (say 88-89dB SPL or more).
As always, amp speaker match/synergy goes a long way in getting it sound right.
Sub is not powered from AVR, it has its own amp (powered sub-woofer).

In my exp, I have found this:
1. An amp that has the capacity to drive higher current (ala higher wattage rating) with a lower rated speaker is OK
2. An amp that is rated lower than what the speaker can handle and if the speaker is low sensitivity is not a good match

Headroom is when the speaker suddenly/momentarily demands more power (due to impedance dip) and the amp has the capability of sourcing this current. This is what @tuff is referring to.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Raghu

This is such a crystal clear and succint explanation! Thank you so much!

One more thing, Im getting a Taga TSW 200 for this Avr. If I connect 2 numbers of low powered sub like Yamaha SW050 to the avr, will the signals pass through uniformly? or do I need single high powered Sub to draw all the juice from the avr?

Signals will be passed uniform to both subs.....its the sub amp that will determine the bass output to the room....two subs are being used by most now to get uniform bass in the room and also +-3db gain....so check the performance of the subs you intend to add and then take a call

One more thing, Im getting a Taga TSW 200 for this Avr. If I connect 2 numbers of low powered sub like Yamaha SW050 to the avr, will the signals pass through uniformly? or do I need single high powered Sub to draw all the juice from the avr?

Both subs will receive the same signal thru AVR's sub-out.. Also a sub with bigger driver is better.. So if you intend to go dual, choose dual 10 / 12 inch subs..

Thanks. I think Im getting Taga TSW 200 from a seller in Chennai. He quoted a better price than amazon. On a second thought, Im thinking of Taga TSW 120, as the later [TSW 200] might be tooo powerful for my room [175 Sqft approx]. Anyway, Im gonna audition them both soon and make a decision.

Thanks. I think Im getting Taga TSW 200 from a seller in Chennai. He quoted a better price than amazon. On a second thought, Im thinking of Taga TSW 120, as the later [TSW 200] might be tooo powerful for my room [175 Sqft approx]. Anyway, Im gonna audition them both soon and make a decision.
Check out the Yamaha sw300 as well. It is sold at 27000 with discounts. Rated at 250 rms nd frequency response is 20hz-160hz.

Ok.. Great.. A bigger driver would comfortably reach the lowest freq response, which would be ideal for movies.. TSW 200 (12inch) would just be right for you room as a 10 inch sub would..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back