• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Dent in the dust cap

rikhav

If you press the woofer dust cap by mistake and make a dent, it won't chnage the way speaker sounds .
Will just be bad to look at

In my case a very over enthusiastic kid pressed the dust cap of my speaker and it stays depressed.
But absolutely no chnage in sound

SPONSORED ADS
Last edited by a moderator:

SPONSORED ADS

Fiftyfifty

If you press the woofer dust cap by mistake and make a dent, it won't chnage the way speaker sounds .

In my case a very over enthusiastic kid pressed the dust cap of my speaker and it stays depressed.
Often, you can put your lips around the dust cap and suck it out.
Hope it works for you.

raghupb

No. It's not damaged and does not impact sound in any way. It got pressed while cleaning. I did not want to further mess it up. Hence the low price.
If you press the woofer dust cap by mistake and make a dent, chnage the way speaker sounds .

There is a good way of cleaning dust off of speakers drivers (before they turn into grime).
"Ostrich Feather Duster"; available on Amazon India
The feathers naturally carry just enough static charge to pick up dust from even hard to reach crevices.
I have been using this for over 20 years now.

Cheers,
Raghu

hpdinesh

There is a good way of cleaning dust off of speakers drivers (before they turn into grime).
"Ostrich Feather Duster"; available on Amazon India
The feathers naturally carry just enough static charge to pick up dust from even hard to reach crevices.
I have been using this for over 20 years now.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi Raghu,
Is it possible to share the link for the same which you are using ?

hifitoaster

Depends totally on speakers. In some, the woofers are crossed really low that the dust caps won't make much of a difference in a normal room. You will have more issues to treat in your room to notice the sound change. But on a well engineered speaker even dust caps does something in terms or time alignment and maintiaing it's tonal quality.

Again, it depends upon how much tolerant you are to this things. To me, a dented dust cap is already a damaged speaker no matter what the seller says.

spirovious

People use their own methods-

Another option to stick a bigger dust cap overlapping it.

preth30

Take a piece of cello tape, the 1 cm width one, say a piece of 1.5 inches in length. Stick one end of the tape on the dent. Slowly pull it out. This has worked for me many a times. Good luck.

rikhav

Tape method did not work.
Tried a few times
I will leave it as it is so I don't spoil the cone in making the dust cap right. :)

Last edited:

jmascreen

My kids had banged football into a 10" woofer. The dust cap is way beyond repairable. Still it works

SPONSORED ADS

preth30

:) I am sorry it didn't work for you. Is the dust cap made of hard material. Anyway as everyone mentioned, it doesn't affect the sound in anyway. Don't risk damaging the woofer.

rikhav

I will give it a try but it's been brutally pushed in so don't think it's coming back to its shape

yogibear

The lips thing really sounds interesting !!!!

I am nearly inclined to try it on my JBL Le8T partially pushed in dustcap !

prem

It’s called the Kiss of Life or Kiss of Death depending on whether it works or not :)

raghupb

Often, you can put your lips around the dust cap and suck it out.
Hope it works for you.
Rikhav, please do try this.
Please, please ask someone to take a pic. of you getting some action with the driver.
Don't forget to upload the photograph here!

:p:p:p
Oye!!
It is budget season in Parliament and many state assemblies and you want to kiss the "speaker"
Risque move ;)

Cheers,
Raghu

yogibear

It’s called the Kiss of Life or Kiss of Death depending on whether it works or not :)
And if it gets more indulging and turns into a French kiss, it will cost my driver cone !!!

SPONSORED ADS