Design Classics

grubyhalo

My simple mind finds the following quote from Antoine de Saint-Exupry's Night Flight quite profound:

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Over the years, I have discovered a lot of designs that are fascinating and time-less to me. Most of them were simple, elegant and seemed to follow the above school of thought. The 30's and 60's automobiles, 70's cameras, 80's Japanese electronics and so on. I'd like this thread to be a scrap-book of sorts for such designs and would like contributions from anyone else around here who share a similar fascination.

Rollei 35

Rollei_35_S.jpg

Hasselblad 300

4.jpg

Leica M

Leica-M-8.png

Olympus OM-1

Olympus-OM-1.jpg

Braun S 50

braun%20shavers.1221176564.jpg

Porsche 911

911_1964_historical_stu_001_prev.jpg

Citroen Traction Avant

800px-Tractionfr02.jpg

Mercedes 300SL

800px-Mercedes_300SL_Coupe_vr_silver_EMS.jpg

Browning M1911

M1911_and_M1911A1_pistols.JPG

Fender Stratocaster

2767Fender%201954%20Japan%20Strat_01.jpg

Great thread Gruby :clapping:
Tell me are only products allowed or logos, creativity, innovative stuff too ?
Will collate and post.
Thanks

Tell me are only products allowed or logos, creativity, innovative stuff too ?
Will collate and post.
Thanks

Please. Any great design that you think would fit here is more than welcome. I'd not like to think of this as my thread, mine was just the 1st post. :)

OK. I am a fan of British Designs. As they work hard on efficiency and simplicity in that order. Not a huge car fan but first the Cars....
Of course Jaguar E type
jaguar_e-type.jpg

As a Designer would have tried to shorten the front side just a little bit :D
Aston Martin
Aston-Martin-DB5-1963-James-Bond-Car.jpg

Nothing to be changed
:)

OK. I am a fan of British Designs. As they work hard on efficiency and simplicity in that order. Not a huge car fan but first the Cars....
Of course Jaguar E type

As a Designer would have tried to shorten the front side just a little bit :D
Aston Martin

Nothing to be changed
:)

Oh yeah, the Brits have made some beautiful machines, alright. Even today's Astons are gorgeous!

A logo cannot be as simple and meaning full than this
nike.png

Nike Logo Based on Greek Goddess of victory(Wings). Some say it is inspired from Greek God Hermes (The Messenger) feet.

When Windows 3.1 was crashing and rebooting
An Amiga Computer was way ahead...
A1000.jpg

Some of the features of AMIGA Computers which were way way ahead of mediocre PC "
~ Multi Tasking-You can have multi partition on the hard drive make them ALL bootable while doing your work on the main partition.
~ just copying system file on partition makes them bootable
~ Programming was such efficient just 720 kb Floppy disk had 2-3 games with sound effects etc.
~ Audio Video out
~ 4 track stereo out
~ Can connect upto 7 Hard Drives SCSI
~ Parallel, Serial and game port
~ Instant start comparing to PC. You can switch off the Amiga computer without any hassle will start normally next time no scandisk etc. garbage
~ PCMCIA Slot which can also be used as Hard drive
~ while copying multiple files can ignore corrupted file and copy remaining file (Windows OS just stops copying further.) :mad:

Nothing to be changed, would love to buy them again and again :)

Parker-Jotter-Classic-Ball-Pen.jpg

Vespa....BTW, love the new Vespa LX125 launched in India too:)
vespa01.jpg

How funny! This is a thread about classic designs but none have provided any pics of classic audio gear or for that matter even video gear!!

Cap'n, I was tempted to link all the pics from Vintage Knob but I'm resisting the urge, let's see if anyone else posts hifi designs...

Back