Desktop 2.1 at around 60K?

k-pad

Hi all,
My current desktop 2.1s are a bit on and off and while I am looking to fix them, am wondering if it is not time to look at something better.
So, am looking to put together a plug-and-play active 2.1 (or can do a good active stereo pair first and add a good sub later) with the two main criteria being:
1. Neutral stereo pair for good vocal clarity at around half a metre, which will very occasionally go up to one metre, and
2. A good package sub or a standalone one for great, clean, true bass. The sub will also be placed very close by, but can definitely give it some breathing room.

A majority of the listening I do at the desk are simply interviews, podcasts, and proper hip-hop bangers when working. Nothing else.

I see the Edifiers come highly recommended around here, and the Genlecs, too, but the latter may be out of my budget. What are some of the other companies I should be looking up?

Also, I currently just connect the speakers to the headphone jack in the comp. Is there anything I should keep in mind if I change systems?

Would be very grateful for any other recommendations, including left-field or funky :)

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
If you are just half a metre away from the speakers and expect neutral sound you can go for a near field studio monitor like Presonus eris e5 xt or Yamaha HS5 and then later on add a sub like Yamaha hs8s.

If you are just half a metre away from the speakers and expect neutral sound you can go for a near field studio monitor like Presonus eris e5 xt or Yamaha HS5 and then later on add a sub like Yamaha hs8s.
thanks, brother. will look them up.
Now that you mention it, am not averse to getting a pair of good monitors for now, and then when time and money permit, add a good sub.
regards

Heard a lot of noise regarding Audioengine 2 when these were launched.
Personally not heard , were not available in India during that time, but I had been recommended multiple times.
- ended up with Bose companion 2.

Personally not heard , were not available in India during that time, but I had been recommended multiple times.

Thanks sir
How do you like the bose? I see they don't have a sub. Do they dig deep?

Adam H5V for around 52, but you can negotiate to around 45. Check out the best Adams that can fit your budget.
Kali audio LP
Presonus Eris

In that order.

****Please note - even though I love the sound of monitors and for near field for me they are fantastic, they may get fatiguing for SOME, so please do listen before buying if you can. You may also find that most monitors need to be driven to slightly higher level to shine (around 80DB +), and that in itself can be fatiguing.

Last edited:
I would suggest getting a jbl lsr 305 pair and spend rest of the money for a sound card and speakers. Jbl lsr 305s used to be one of the best under $1000 when it was launched. If you want more bass try the 308 variant.

Thanks sir
How do you like the bose? I see they don't have a sub. Do they dig deep?
for most of the PC related works - they are good ( meetings,training, training videos).
Occasional YouTube music and movies ( I usually use PC for Drama /comedy oriented contents ).

They do have one with sub ( Bose link ) - heard them at Bose store when checking for QuietComforts , they do a decent base.
and yes, their traditional sound signature shows up.

I would suggest getting a jbl lsr 305 pair and spend rest of the money for a sound card and speakers. Jbl lsr 305s used to be one of the best under $1000 when it was launched. If you want more bass try the 308 variant.
Sound card and speaker cables*

Hi all,
My current desktop 2.1s are a bit on and off and while I am looking to fix them, am wondering if it is not time to look at something better.
So, am looking to put together a plug-and-play active 2.1 (or can do a good active stereo pair first and add a good sub later) with the two main criteria being:
1. Neutral stereo pair for good vocal clarity at around half a metre, which will very occasionally go up to one metre, and
2. A good package sub or a standalone one for great, clean, true bass. The sub will also be placed very close by, but can definitely give it some breathing room.

A majority of the listening I do at the desk are simply interviews, podcasts, and proper hip-hop bangers when working. Nothing else.

I see the Edifiers come highly recommended around here, and the Genlecs, too, but the latter may be out of my budget. What are some of the other companies I should be looking up?

Also, I currently just connect the speakers to the headphone jack in the comp. Is there anything I should keep in mind if I change systems?

Would be very grateful for any other recommendations, including left-field or funky :)

Thanks and regards
The Q Acoustics M20HD is a decent contender since it fulfills two of your briefs - (1) direct plug and play from a PC as it has an asynchronous USB-in, ergo no extra sound card required, (2) it has a sub out.

Bonus: the right/left channel can be swapped unlike a number of active Speakers so cable management becomes easier.

Double bonus: you're left with 30K of your budget to pick a Sub of your choice.

Last edited:
The Q Acoustics M20HD is a decent contender since it fulfills two of your briefs - (1) direct plug and play from a PC as it has an asynchronous USB-in, ergo no extra sound card required, (2) it has a sub out.

Bonus: the right/left channel can be swapped unlike a number of active Speakers so cable management becomes easier.

Thanks, buddy. Will look it up.

Am not really averse to getting a great near-field monitor, and then pairing a good sub later. But what should I otherwise look out for that will be different from a commercial speaker?

Wanna know more about the AE2s, thank you so much. Will look them up.
Adam H5V for around 52, but you can negotiate to around 45. Check out the best Adams that can fit your budget.
Kali audio LP
Presonus Eris

In that order.

****Please note - even though I love the sound of monitors and for near field for me they are fantastic, they may get fatiguing for SOME, so please do listen before buying if you can. You may also find that most monitors need to be driven to slightly higher level to shine (around 80DB +), and that in itself can be fatiguing.
The Adams, and the Kalis shall be kept in mind. Any Bombay FMs who own them?
The JBLs, surely... ! Economical, too, na? What is the catch? What else do I need to spend on? a Sub? Sound-card part I got, which brings me to...

Sound card and speaker cables*
So, I run an AIO - not a PC, not a laptop - so, I guess I really need a sound card. How does it work? Is there a good dongle-like sound-card?

It's another definite option sir. Thank you so much.

Any other options, please, good people?

As it is, I don't mind getting a durable pair of actives.
But has anyone tried passive desktops?
Should I even venture there?
And if I am sticking to active 2.1s, I really want those puppies to last longer than these Klipsches.

Left-field people, @Hari Iyer @Decadent_Spectre

Question for you all:
1. What size woofer works best for near field listening? (I currently run 3.5")
2. Actives or passive jingbang? (I have space to spare, albeit in a small room, but budget remains 60K)
3. What frackle would I need to make my computer's system output better?

Regards

Hi there, I noticed that you have M20. Can you please tell me it’s output power?
In website it says 32w X 2 continuous.
Peak is 65w X 2. Some websites says it’s 65watts speakers and some says it’s 130watts.

I am not an expert and I don’t know much about technical details.

Request you to help me here!

My two cents..For PC I would recommend good headphones as you are sitting so close to the screen, stereo imaging will take a hit on physical speakers.

My two cents..For PC I would recommend good headphones as you are sitting so close to the screen, stereo imaging will take a hit on physical speakers.
Hi sir,
Great input.
But - to expand on it - I want resolution like a headphone in my room, but I don't want bass in my ears.
I want the bass around me outside of the high frequency sound-sphere, and I want that bass to envelope me.
Regards

Hi sir,
Great input.
But - to expand on it - I want resolution like a headphone in my room, but I don't want bass in my ears.
I want the bass around me outside of the high frequency sound-sphere, and I want that bass to envelope me.
Regards
Fair point bro , Then you need to move 3-4 feet back :) .

Hi there, I noticed that you have M20. Can you please tell me it’s output power?
In website it says 32w X 2 continuous.
Peak is 65w X 2. Some websites says it’s 65watts speakers and some says it’s 130watts.

I am not an expert and I don’t know much about technical details.

Request you to help me here!
I had to check the website myself to figure out the power. 😅 it says 65x2. Must be continuous. For close quarters, it goes plenty loud - party loud in a small to mid size room without distortion. And the active DSP prevents the speaker from distorting.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back