Desktop Speakers - Budget 2L+ ?

Flash

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a pair of Speakers for my Desk . Budget as mentioned is 2L and can go till around 5Lalkhs if required
I spend a considerable amount of time working at home (3 - 4 hours) per day
I have been using B&W PX7. headphones, however using headphones a couple of hours a day is not something I want to continue doing in order to protect my hearing in the long run.

Simplicity is key. I prefer a setup which is void of an amp / Dac / premap / Source etc .. I want my computer desk to be as clutter free as possible .

So basically looking for a pair of speakers / amp combo or All in once pair of speakers that have a small footprint.
Small Footprint is key as I am limited on space and don't want a large pair of bookshelves / electronics taking up space .

Since most of the listening with be done at nearfield the setup should have a non fatiguing sound.,
Streaming / Built in Dac would be a added bonus as my source would be ROON , Airplay or Direct from Laptop via USB and occasionally BT.
Music Preferences as Classic Rock , Blues, Ambient Electronic.

Your Suggestions would be highly appreciated

Flash

For your budget, you can get good Genelec active speakers

The good ones are already suggested as far as easily available actives are concerned - however - KEF LS50II are pretty good but perhaps problematic in close quarters - my opinion is based on my little experience with them.

Considering your budget is fantastic, you could go - Source/streamer(Lumin/bluesound/hifirose/matrix audio/something like NAD if they made a Streamer only M10) -> Dac -> actives. I would personally go with Genelecs for near field, their G series for home users is pretty fantastic and I have already demoed them 4 times and keep going back for the demo. G3 is where the magic happens for me; G5 is brilliant and in a different league, but it is too large. Also G3 is the smallest G Line speaker to give you fully balanced option and room correction capability. I do not work for Genelec or own genelec, so just my opinion.

KEF LSX is also another fantastic option, a great option on the desk. However it has it's limitations that you start learning once you start living with them. I personally think for the price or perhaps a lot lower you can get a few other options that could beat it in SQ if not as a complete package.

Also in my experience and more experienced FMs can correct me if I am wrong - you are going to perhaps have a bit of a problem with the bass in near field system, at my average <70db of listening at near field, the bass is mostly absent. So you may want a way to direct the bass to a subwoofer so you can enjoy your speakers at low levels too. REL subs come to mind.

My preferred suggestion for a clutter free desk is -
Streamer+DAC (whatever best your budget allows) + Genelec G3 + an REL T0 under your desk. :)

Last edited:
As recommended by many....Genelec comes to mind as the best option in your given price range.

This is higher than most main set-up budgets :)

If space was not a constraint, I would have suggested the focal be series of monitors. You could still get the Twin model from Shape series which has smaller footprint but tall. But at the given budget, genelec seems to be the best option. You could actually go for their higher end models with SAM, preferably from The Ones series

LS50 Wireless II .

Too large for my Space..

For desk usage you can look at the kef lsx.
Thanks will look into it .

The good ones are already suggested as far as easily available actives are concerned - however - KEF LS50II are pretty good but perhaps problematic in close quarters - my opinion is based on my little experience with them.

Considering your budget is fantastic, you could go - Source/streamer(Lumin/bluesound/hifirose/matrix audio/something like NAD if they made a Streamer only M10) -> Dac -> actives. I would personally go with Genelecs for near field, their G series for home users is pretty fantastic and I have already demoed them 4 times and keep going back for the demo. G3 is where the magic happens for me; G5 is brilliant and in a different league, but it is too large. Also G3 is the smallest G Line speaker to give you fully balanced option and room correction capability. I do not work for Genelec or own genelec, so just my opinion.

KEF LSX is also another fantastic option, a great option on the desk. However it has it's limitations that you start learning once you start living with them. I personally think for the price or perhaps a lot lower you can get a few other options that could beat it in SQ if not as a complete package.

Also in my experience and more experienced FMs can correct me if I am wrong - you are going to perhaps have a bit of a problem with the bass in near field system, at my average <70db of listening at near field, the bass is mostly absent. So you may want a way to direct the bass to a subwoofer so you can enjoy your speakers at low levels too. REL subs come to mind.

My preferred suggestion for a clutter free desk is -
Streamer+DAC (whatever best your budget allows) + Genelec G3 + an REL T0 under your desk. :)
Thankyou Chander for the elaborate suggestion.
Will try and demo the Genelecs G3 with a Sub and will also give the Kef LSX II and KEF KC 62 sub a audition . .

I agree with you, a Sub is an absolute necessity at lower volumes or for that matter at any volume, especially with small Desktop speakers. As I don't think there is any Bookshelf speaker with a 4 - 5 inch bass driver that can play below 40 - 50Hz.

I have 2 x SVS SB 16 Ultras and 2 x Rythmik F15 HP in the same setup with a Floor stander that goes down to 25Hz -3db. So the importance of good bass handing the lowest octaves is an important aspect for me

I have kept my expectations realistic and I am aware that I will not get the same Dynamic Scale,, as my Main HiFi Rig , But Fingers crossed.

How about these speakers from Aurender?

Aurender S5W

From their website....

- Lossless High-Fidelity (16-bit/44kHz) Resolution without any compression at all.

- True Wireless Stereo – No Cables Required (Even Power Cable)

- Machined Aluminum Enclosure Available In Three Finishes

- High Quality Drivers – Tweeter Unit From Scan-Speak, Mid-Bass Unit From SEAS

- Up To 50 Hour Battery Operation Provides Real Portability

- Excellent User Experience and Ease Of Use

- No Software or Pairing Required

- Simply Attach The Supplied USB Dongle To Your Phone, Tablet or Computer and Press Play!

I have no personal experience with them though....

Rogers ls/3 would be interesting... But goes, against your idea if minimalism..

Considering vivid hifi now has nuprime amps, foot print could be smaller..

I recently got a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 10. Small footprint big sound. Completely wireless, options include 2 Aux inputs, one toslink and one Bluetooth with full aptx support.
On desk or wall mountable.

If considering the passive route at all, I would suggest checking out the Sound Artist LS3/5A with the Bluesound Powernode. Its a combo I've heard, works well. The Bluos software control is a big plus in my book. Since everything on the powernode is app controlled, it doesnt need an accessible spot. The only thing missing would be lack of usb connectivity to hook up to a pc. The LS3/5As meet the non-fatiguing criteria quite well.

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a pair of Speakers for my Desk . Budget as mentioned is 2L and can go till around 5Lalkhs if required
I spend a considerable amount of time working at home (3 - 4 hours) per day
I have been using B&W PX7. headphones, however using headphones a couple of hours a day is not something I want to continue doing in order to protect my hearing in the long run.

Simplicity is key. I prefer a setup which is void of an amp / Dac / premap / Source etc .. I want my computer desk to be as clutter free as possible .

So basically looking for a pair of speakers / amp combo or All in once pair of speakers that have a small footprint.
Small Footprint is key as I am limited on space and don't want a large pair of bookshelves / electronics taking up space .

Since most of the listening with be done at nearfield the setup should have a non fatiguing sound.,
Streaming / Built in Dac would be a added bonus as my source would be ROON , Airplay or Direct from Laptop via USB and occasionally BT.
Music Preferences as Classic Rock , Blues, Ambient Electronic.

Your Suggestions would be highly appreciated

Flash
I'm suggesting ATC SCM19A and SCM40A both are very good amezing quality it will suitable for you along with good streamers

For desktop usage you need a coaxial speakers or full range speakers. Check out Fyne F500 with an amp and sub. Or check out presonus SCEPTRE studio monitors or even LS50 meta.

Here is a link to the Dynaudio Xeo 10's playing some music via bluetooth streamed down from Spotify on my phone using aptx protocol.
The speakers behind the Dyns are Elac Debut B6, so one can assess the size of the Xeo 10.

In your budget, you can probably get an audition of the Xeo 20 also.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back