Desktop speakers: Criteria - Size

ruenigma

A happy Audioengine A2 user here. No complaints at all, however I guess I am morally allowed to consider an upgrade after nearly 4 years of great relationship. :p

So the upgraditis demands a speaker (active or otherwise) that would justify the Hi (in)fidelity of ditching the trusty old A2s.

Budget = A2 x 2 = nearly 20K

Problem starts here
I've grown around the A2s. The lil buggers have allowed me to go from a 19" CRT -> 19" LCD -> 22" LCD and finally -> 24" LCD x 2. Now they safely sit at the extreme corners of my table on their tiny rubber stands. This means that though I can afford a more expensive speaker I cant afford a larger one.

The only viable alternative I found was the slightly bigger passive brother in the same family the P4. Paired with the N22 desktop amp it costs close to 24k. Slightly out of budget but acceptable.

I am sure there would be many a computer audiophile on the forum who are desk-space challenged so putting up this thread to discuss alternatives. Unlike my other excursions this can wait a bit and I can spend time listening/trying out various combinations before jumping the gun (CC ?).

I do not mind a passive setup as I can afford some space for the amp below my desk on a pedestal.

Umm bose?
/* No comments */

:) Appreciate your candidness! I hear you. However the suggestion was based on my experience with those. A colleague of mine has this in his office and it sounds pretty good for its size; and its well built too.

Bose computer musicmonitor and audio-technica ATR6250 test - YouTube

I used to have a T20 and it was also something you can consider as well; especially if you don't want to get into the circles of the likes of aktimate or the more popular Quad, dynaudio or AVI offerings.

Cheers.

Thank you #unleash_me :)

Ok, without being too biased I'll do this. I'll take my A2s (Portable lil beasts that they are) to the nearset Bose showroom and do an A/B. And will post the observations here.

And yeah, about getting into the circles, I am already in the circles with this setup

Last edited:
Why not Audiengine SUB?
BTW when u r selling ur AEs? I may be in Q ;)
Haha, not selling 'em. They're going to my office desk :) in all probability, if not then they are yours.

About the sub part, I am not really a basshead. Prefer mostly classic/alternative rock, new-age/world, jazz, ghazals etc. Plus a sub wont add much in terms of overall "upgrade"

Thank you #unleash_me :)

Ok, without being too biased I'll do this. I'll take my A2s (Portable lil beasts that they are) to the nearset Bose showroom and do an A/B. And will post the observations here.

And yeah, about getting into the circles, I am already in the circles with this setup

Sure thing. Nothing better than being your own judge.

And by 'circles' I meant, the next level of relatively expensive multimedia active speakers which are physically larger than the smaller Bose in question or even the A2, so no offense! Nice system btw. Looks like the speakers are tad too close to each other; space optimized perhaps? Noticed the older D1 there. Any chance you might have compared it with the D2?

Agreed, with the circles thing. I mistook it for regular audiophile stuff we all are here for :)
Can't really step up the size as I mentioned before.
[OT]The speakers are closer because its a makeshift listening space made out of a study. So my old desk and bookshelf uptop eat up the leftmost 2'6" and the cupboard door opening leeway consumes the right couple of feet. [/OT]

Back to the topic, did you or anyone on the forum had a chance to listen to the Audioengine P4 - N22 combo? That combo is tempting me every passing day. Now that I am open to passives as well, are there any small passives around the 15k mark that would fit the desk?

how about cambridge audio s30s+topping tp20? the speakers are quite narrow, but are deep which im guessing shouldnt be an issue?

the amp is tiny so that again shouldnt be an issue. it should cost you around 12-13k.

how about cambridge audio s30s+topping tp20? the speakers are quite narrow, but are deep which im guessing shouldnt be an issue?

the amp is tiny so that again shouldnt be an issue. it should cost you around 12-13k.

Considered that as well.
1. At 6.3 inches it'd add at least 5 inches to my existing setup.
2. The TP20 wont really be an upgrade from the awesome class AB in the audioengines. The plan is to upgrade mate, not save money, the A2s aren't broken yet :)

you'd be surprised at what the tp20+s30 combo can do ;) try auditioning the setup if you can...check out the thread on the tp20 here in the amp section...
but yea compared to the audioengines 5.5inches the s30s are almost an inch wider.
the money saved can be invested in a good DAC which would only help the sound.

otherwise why dont you check out some studio monitors in that price range? bajaao.com has quite a decent collection.

Last edited:
Considered that as well.
1. At 6.3 inches it'd add at least 5 inches to my existing setup.
2. The TP20 wont really be an upgrade from the awesome class AB in the audioengines. The plan is to upgrade mate, not save money, the A2s aren't broken yet :)

tp20 wont be an upgrade?

lol time for mythbusters!

Roland MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitors - I have heard are quite nice. The earlier release was called I think Edirol MA-15D. They retail for 12.5ks but I am sure if you look around, you might find some one selling at a good price. These ones have optical out as well for bit-perfect sound.

With a good sound card like Xonar Essence ST/X, it could work out well for you.

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

1. The topping thing
I've heard the topping extensively and also own a Dayton Tripath myself, hooked to my existing office setup. Lets just say it does somethings very well but I'd rather have an offering that does a lot of things good enough. I am not berating the tripaths here but they haven't excited me so far. The only speaker I heard making wonders with the Topping are a fellow FMs Usher 520, that was a match made in heaven at low to moderate volumes.

2. Roland/Edirol MA-15D
FM Hemantwaghe had brought them to the Pune meet and they certainly are a great pair of speakers. I respect those little beauties. But I am thinking of making the maximum of a "wife approved" budget allocations in excess of 20k ;)

3. I already cradle a bunch of DACs as Pune members know. Xonar Essence, Xonar DX, Dr. DAC Nano, HRT MSII, Mav D1 etc. (And still craving for the Gatorized Caiman-osaurus)

All the suggestions are great and I am going to give the Topping another try but the search for a small bookshelf still continues. The S30 is still very wide for the existing desk. :(

Ok time for an update.

1. Visited the Bose guys. The speakers (Companion 20) seemed pretty nice but not at the quoted price 14.5k :( . And did not seem like an upgrade over my A2s. Another funny thing was the guys plain refused to let me used my CDs or my DAC for the demo and insisted on the mp3s and only a couple of demo discs at their disposal. It was a little weird and high handed and left a bad taste.

2. Heard the Q-300 at SoundScapes (Was hoping to hear the Q-100 actually but it was not available). Brilliant and very capable speaker, extremely good customer interaction by SoundScapes as well. However the only issue with the speaker was its size (7.2 inches at the base Q-100). The q-100 could be wall mounted so it makes my probable list now.

3. Saw the Image B4 at PSB website and it seems like the perfect thing for me at 5.25 inches wide. Now off to find PSB dealers in Pune who could let me audition those. Any ideas?

Have you considered the Audioengine A5?

I believe a weak point with A5 (and even A2) is that it doesn't go very low, and it compensates for that by having a bass hump. However since you like the A2's which have similar signature, I don't think you'll mind it.

I'm reminded of Psychtropic's upgrade path
A2 -> A5 -> Usher S-520 -> Odyssey Epiphony

I had taken his S-520 when he was afflicted by upgraditis :)

Since you already have a Tripath amp, why not also consider the S-520?
It has very good mids, great treble, but Bass is merely OK. Bass is present when the source has it, but it's not tactile, i.e. you can't 'feel' the bass thumping on your body. The S-520 should be around 22k.

Last edited:
@gryph0n The A5 are definitely good. Have heard them umpteen times and would love to own a pair. It would have been an ideal upgrade. Howerver they are fairly large for my desk. :( hence looking for something with a very small footprint.

Same goes for the Tripath + Usher combo. Its just awesome what these minuets could do but again the Ushers stand at a demanding 7inches+

Have zeroed in on the following now, time for some auditions.
1. PSB Image B4 (Availability is questionable)
2. PSB Alpha LR1
3. Mordaunt Short Alumni 2
4. Audioengine P4

With this list it'd be clear what width range I am looking at. If you have any other suggestion in this width range (5.5inches or lower) I am all ears.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back