Desperate - Need HELP !!! Issue with voltage fluctuation in Bangalore

john_k_antony

Guys,

All hell broke loose yesterday :(. This is the second time it happened in my new home. Long story short - there was a bad voltage fluctuation and one of V-Guard stabilizers and 2 month old Emotive UPA-500 blew up :mad:

Here is what happened.

There seems to be a strange problem in my new house. Its a new layout with newly installed transformers and there are less number of houses now. I have 3 phase connection at home. Some times what happens is that when one of the phases has more load, the voltage in second phase goes up to 310V and voltage in third phase goes down to 150V. This happens random. I have no clue why this happens. This happened once earlier and that blew up my APC Backup Pro UPS used for my projector. The issue got resolved after the line man did some fix at the transformer. But yesterday again the issue happened and this time the damage was severe. It blew my V-Guard stabilizer protecting my APC Backup Pro -> Projector and then my 2 month old Emotiva UPA-500. I had my Oppo 105 and Emotiva XPA-200 in standby mode and some how they survived the abuse and they are working fine. Seems like MOV blew up in both the stabilizer and Emotiva. I have contacted the Emotiva customer support and waiting for their reply.

As per Emotiva recommendation, I connected the amps directly to the wall power socket. After this incident, I have connected all my equipment back to my Vertex 3KV audio grade stabilizer. I know it is not recommended, but I what else can I do with this crazy voltage fluctuation.

Now after 2 incidents, I am EXTREMELY SCARED to even switch on any gear in my home theater. I cannot enjoy anything as I am expecting a loud POP any time :). I desperately want help in getting this issue resolved. I would really appreciate if you guys help me with the following issues.

1. What is causing the occasional high voltage in one phase and simultaneously low voltage in other phase? How to fix the root cause?

2. Even if the above situation happens, how can I protect all my electronic equipment? I have a 5KV Vertex stabilizer connected to the phase that serves the lightings and fans in my home. So my house hold appliances and lights are protected. However for HT room, the power comes from a different phase and I have 15A sockets for connecting all my HT electronics.

Do some thing like the following help me with the situation?

Micro System Services | Power Protection | Homeguard

Would really really appreciate any help on this. I am really really desperate :sos:

Thanks,
John.

This is very frightening stuff. Not only is valuable equipment at risk, but maybe there could even be the possibility of fire.

Shivam has posted, quite recently, about a high/low voltage cut-off device. Could well be your answer for safety. I'll add the link to the thread if I find it before you do.

Added: This is the thread

Last edited:
Also, when not in use remember to switch off and remove the plugs from their sockets. I do this routinely after a listening session or after watching a movie.

Book a complaint with the KEB local branch, a written complaint, and include the emails that you have written to emotive and others. List the damaged items in your letter. If possible , get an asst engineer of the KEB branch near your house to drop in and show him what has happened.

Also, when not in use remember to switch off and remove the plugs from their sockets. I do this routinely after a listening session or after watching a movie.

Book a complaint with the KEB local branch, a written complaint, and include the emails that you have written to emotive and others. List the damaged items in your letter. If possible , get an asst engineer of the KEB branch near your house to drop in and show him what has happened.

Canchi,

Last time when this happened, I took it very seriously with the KEB and they fixed it in few days. Now it again happened. Some on said that it could be a faulty transformer or a loose contact at the transformer junction they get worse by thunder storms. I think yesterday they was slight rain around my area and that caused this issue.

As Thad rightly pointed, more than losing your equipment, it could be hazardous to your life .

I will take the issue with KEB on Monday. But I also wanted to see what I can do from my side to prevent this in the future!.

-John.

This is very frightening stuff. Not only is valuable equipment at risk, but maybe there could even be the possibility of fire.

Shivam has posted, quite recently, about a high/low voltage cut-off device. Could well be your answer for safety. I'll add the link to the thread if I find it before you do.

Added: This is the thread

Thad,

Thank you very much for the link.

I looked at the Home Guard from Micro System Services where Shivam got his product. Looks like the Home Guard will solve my issue.

The Su-Kam one mentioned by Om in that thread sounds promising. I just have one question though. I do have a 3 phase borewell motor and other heavy equipment like AC, Microwave, Pressure booster pump, sump motor ect. The wiring is done in such a way that the entire lights and fans are connected to a single phase, then all the 15A sockets in ground floor is connected to second phase and then all the 15A sockets in first floor is connected the third phase. All the 15A sockets in first floor is used mainly in HT room and the AC point and Geyser in master bedroom. However when the HT room is used, none of the other 15A outlets are used. So its more like one phase is delivering power to the HT room.

Now I want a solution that I can install just after the meter box before the main DB inside the house. I would like to know if the 16A Su-Kam / Phase can take care of my needs.

I am going to call Micro System Services tomorrow and ask for the complete solution for my 3 Phase wired home. I just can't afford to "fry" more equipment and really really want to enjoy my listening room with out the fear of when my expensive electronics will blow up :).

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
The protection device I had ordered was a 3KVA model and I have tried loading it with load of about 2KVA with no problems. It seems to be working fine and cuts off at high voltage.

I however suggest going for Sukam version which looks more promising since I didn't get a good item from MSS. Sukam is a well known name too in this field.

The protection device I had ordered was a 3KVA model and I have tried loading it with load of about 2KVA with no problems. It seems to be working fine and cuts off at high voltage.

I however suggest going for Sukam version which looks more promising since I didn't get a good item from MSS. Sukam is a well known name too in this field.

Thanks Shivam,

Even I am a happy customer of Sukam. I use their inverter and tall tubular batteries and they are running fine for the last 9 months. I have seen that Om is using Sukam protector directly in the line, right after the meter and before db box. This is exactly what I wanted. I will talk to Sukam customer support tomorrow and make sure it can withstand my load requirements. Other good thing is that the Sukam 16A protector is pretty cheap and readily available from Flipkart :).

Thanks,
John.

How many milliseconds does it take for a spike to fry equipment and what is the response time of the Sukam?

G0bble

Hi John,

I had the same issue. Last year I invested on a 2KVA UPS from APC (SURT/SRC Series) which is a double conversion pure sine wave output. I am more than 100% happy with this. You do not have to invest on exotic power codes ...

Regards
Venu

Hi John,

I had the same issue. Last year I invested on a 2KVA UPS from APC (SURT/SRC Series) which is a double conversion pure sine wave output. I am more than 100% happy with this. You do not have to invest on exotic power codes ...

Regards
Venu

Hi Venu,

Thanks for the comment. I have an APC 1KV backup pro UPS for my projector. During the last power fluctuations, even that burnt with a loud pop and the sound and spark indeed out classed the Diwali fire crackers :) It happened during last Diwali. It happened twice with APC and luckily for me both got replaced under warranty. Now I have kept a V-Guard Digi-2000 stabilizer before the APC and this time, V-Guard got burnt and APC looks okay. The strange thing is that the fuse didn't blow but the MOV inside the stabilizer burnt. I was always thinking that a high voltage usually blow the fuse first :confused:

Now I want to try something that works right from the input line in the meter box and protect the whole home.

Sukam looks interesting. I will talk to them tomorrow and get more details.

Thanks,
John.

How many milliseconds does it take for a spike to fry equipment and what is the response time of the Sukam?

G0bble

Very good point. I am talking to them tomorrow. Unfortunately it takes less than half a second till all this happens. I assume that it all depends on the tolerance of the MOV installed at the protection stage of the circuit.

I am going to open the V-Guard Digi 200 and find out which MOV got burnt. Seems like they have 3 MOVs. L-N, L-G, N-G. That will give me an idea whether there was a ground leak happened!. Ground leak is very scary though !

Thanks,
John.

Also consider:

Sollatek

Great find jsmithie. Thanks a lot. However the following review on Flipkart looks not so good.

"Unfit for Indian condition
I guess this unit cannot handle voltage exceeding 320V which makes it unfit for Indian condition. Mine got totally fried\burnt as well damaged my white colored wall of my new house."

I think in my case, voltage could hover around 320V :(.

-John.

Great find jsmithie. Thanks a lot. However the following review on Flipkart looks not so good.

"Unfit for Indian condition
I guess this unit cannot handle voltage exceeding 320V which makes it unfit for Indian condition. Mine got totally fried\burnt as well damaged my white colored wall of my new house."

I've got a couple of these Sollatek TVGuard Voltage Stabilizer - Sollatek: Flipkart.com though I haven't seen really high voltages in my part of town and the insurance was not too expensive. I didn't see any negative reviews on Flipkart at the time I bought them though to be fair Sollatek's website does indicate the cut-off's for these products and they only go as far as 295V. I guess Sollatek haven't heard of India's famously stable power supply, 400V as a high cut-off would be more like it. Time to look again, this time more carefully, at products with a higher cut-off voltage.

I think in my case, voltage could hover around 320V :(.

-John.

Yikes! Damn BESCOM! :mad: Maybe you should post on BESCOM's FB page https://www.facebook.com/Nammabescom1/timeline and also on their MD's FB page https://www.facebook.com/md.bescom?hc_location=timeline

I've heard good things about the man.

Last edited:
Hi john,

There might be two reasons for the high voltage. One is due to lack of proper earthing in your house and if the neutral of the distribution transformer of KEB is not connected properly

Most important inthis case I feel is that you check the following:

1st. Your House earthing: Every house will have or should have a dedicated earthing pit esentially like a iron rod burried in the ground upto 8 ft and connect all the house earthing to this earth rod.

Below are some the earthing figures at the junction box and earthing rod dgrs if you cannot find the earthing at your home.

2nd: Check the KEB transfomer nuetral connection is earthed or not. What is the effect if the neutral is not earthed is depicted in the attachments.

Also the attchements also show the the differences if you do not have proper earthing in your house.

Sorry could not attach the PDF's (as this thread is not allowing ) will try later but primarily you need to check the above and probably your problem will be resolved .

Last edited:
Hi john,

There might be two reasons for the high voltage. One is due to lack of proper earthing in your house and if the neutral of the distribution transformer of KEB is not connected properly

Most important inthis case I feel is that you check the following:

1st. Your House earthing: Every house will have or should have a dedicated earthing pit esentially like a iron rod burried in the ground upto 8 ft and connect all the house earthing to this earth rod.

Below are some the earthing figures at the junction box and earthing rod dgrs if you cannot find the earthing at your home.

2nd: Check the KEB transfomer nuetral connection is earthed or not. What is the effect if the neutral is not earthed is depicted in the attachments.

Also the attchements also show the the differences if you do not have proper earthing in your house.

Sorry could not attach the PDF's (as this thread is not allowing ) will try later but primarily you need to check the above and probably your problem will be resolved .

Thank you very much rdksrk. When the issue happened first few months back, I did check the for earth connection using the DMM method and the result was good indicating that there were no earth leaks. This issue happens all on a sudden and just goes away its own the next day. When ever I talk to the electrician about the issue, he always say that there was some issue at the main distribution place and he knew about this issue and now its fixed. And yes the next day the issue is fixed and it won't happen for another few months.

However, the chances of this issue happening again is always there and I am very sure that the root cause of the issue is else where :(. I will definitely check the diagrams once you are able to upload it. If you don't mind, you can email me the PDFs. Here is my email : john_k_antony at yahoo dot com.

Thanks,
John.

Great you are on dot. If your house earthing is correct then the problem is in the distribution transformer.

In addition there might be somewhere an occasional line to ground fault occuring.

I had mailed the PDF's

Hope these will be of help to you.

John, sorry for the novice question, can you please explain how to test earthing using DMM method (Digital Multi Meter???)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back