Did VGP(Indira Nagar) give me a used Samsung LA40C530?

Akbglr

Hello All,

I purchased a Samsung LA40C530 from VGP, Indira Nagar. Went to the shop on Aug 14th night, made the payment and VGP guys said they will deliver the TV on Aug 15th (Sunday).
I agreed to this (My first mistake).

Aug 15th - The TV is delivered home - there were hiccups and delays on the delivery, but that is not the issue I want to highlight here. I am happy to have a new TV and all's well. :yahoo:

All is well, until
Aug 21 : My dad purchases the SAME model (Samsung LA40C530) for their house. I happen to be the one who unpacked it and set it up on its stand etc...

Some glaring differences between my TV and my dad's that I noticed -
1) The packing :
- Dad's TV had a plastic covering along the glossy TV edges to prevent scratching.
- My TV did not have the plastic covering to prevent scratches

2) The Setup Wizard :
- Dad's TV asked whether TV is for "Store Demo" or "Home use", allowed me to set Date/Time.
- My TV did not ask for anything - Directly took me to the main screen which said "No stored channels"

These things made me feel I got a 'used/display' piece.

I call Samsung and they in turn asked me to talk to the dealer and arrive at a resolution. So I call VGP and finally get to speak to their store manager, Mr.Ramesh the 4th time.

I will try and enact the conversation as much as possible I had with Mr.Ramesh

Me : (I summarise the whole issue, mention the above 2 points, and ask for help)

Ramesh : We gave you a fresh piece only. Might be a packing issue by Samsung. They always blame the dealers.

Me : A company like Samsung cant go wrong with the way their product/piece is rolled out to the market.

Ramesh : I dont know all that. We open the TV to ensure everything is working fine.

Me : You opening to ensure things are working fine, OK agreed. But why did you remove the plastic scratch proof cover?

Ramesh : Well, that is not required.

Me: That is not fair.. because I purchased the TV and I wanted a new piece- just like how it is delivered by the company.
(How can he decide it is not required when I paid for it?!?! I want my TV to look new. I paid 53K for the damn stuff!!)

Ramesh : I cant help. You are calling now after 15 days to tell about the problem.

Me : I dont keep buying LCDs every week! How do I know how a packed TV will look like!? Only when I saw packing of another same TV model, I came to realise the differences. You cant say "I cant help" to a customer who purchased a 53K product from you!

Ramesh : Sorry, but I cant help. I cant do anything...

Me : Then I will have to escalate to Samsung and consumer court

Ramesh : Do whatever you want.

I hang up ....

Then called VGP Corporate, got some persons number who heads Bangalore Ops for VGP. Spoke to him and given him the details. He wanted time for 2 days to get back. I am not sure if something will happen.

Meanwhile, called Samsung and spoke to a guy who said that there certainly seems to be an issue with the piece assigned to me. Asks me to send a mail to the store stating the problem and to CC them on it, but I am not sure how it will help either.

I am at my wit's end, and I dont intend to leave it till I have a resolution.

First of all, could I be wrong in judging that the piece could be a used one? I dont want to be simply wasting my time over an issue which may not even exist.
On the other hand, I dont want to be leaving things to their favour if they have cheated me.

Does anyone out here have any suggestions on how to take this forward?

I don't an LCD TV but read it in the forum that it is possible to check the Number of hours the TV has been used.
Why don't you check that.

I don't an LCD TV but read it in the forum that it is possible to check the Number of hours the TV has been used.
Why don't you check that.

Hi Captrajesh,

Tried various options, searched on net, forums - cannot find the option/combination to check the number of hours used.

I am sorry but even I feel it could be a used piece. Chances 50/50.

When I bought my Samsung LCD, it did ask whether setting should be for Display or Home when it was booted. And yes there was a plastic scratch guard on the frames.

If the dealer has to test the piece, they should open the pack in front of you or test it before installation at your home. Even items worth Rs. 2000 have a tag which says do not accept if pack is open. We are talking about a product worth Rs. 50+grands. You must keep up the fight till you get a replacement or a satisfactory answer.

Okay the Dealer is taking you for a ride, that is 100% display piece, the piece should be packed in pristine condition and there is no explanation of it being opened for check up, see my thread on LG 50pk550r and I also got the same thing.

now the first thing you do is don't call the dealer, you call samsung and tell them what has happened and give them a deadline of Flat 24 hours (since you already are 2 weeks late) and stating that after that you will serve legal notice to the company as well as the dealer if nothing is done from your side, also tell them that you have the papers ready and have talked with your lawyer. Also send a complaint via email as well and keep a proof of all the conversation that is happening between you, the company and dealer.

Now secondly check with your piece for scratches and other flaws and take pictures of it.
NOW THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, get into the service menu and see for the usage hours, once you have reached it on your screen, take pics of it with the invoice + that days newspaper showing the date in front of it (ALL THREE SHOULD BE VISIBLE), WHY NEWSPAPER? Newspaper because that shows the date and will be an authentic proof and will be admissible in court, This might be a very useful piece of evidence if the thing was to go too far. Plus if you send the pic to samsung via email they will know with whom they are dealing and that will get them rolling, Plus it will be another authentic proof of conversation between you and the company. Remember recorded phone calls and other pics are not admissible in court and do not hold water.SO GET THIS DONE IMMEDIATELY.

Also if you don't know about the procedure to go to consumer court, then you can reach out for help from them Preparing and Filing Consumer Complaint in Consumer Complaints Forum in India they will serve the legal notice on your behalf for a very nominal fee and also help you in filing a case in consumer court. The dealer will not take you seriously till you have served a notice, but once that is served he will know how serious you are and will scare the sh1t out of him. Most of the cases get resolved at this stage.

Also if you can, try to get in touch with a local newspaper and try to get your side of the story published, they are pretty much looking for stories themselves, if you can take the reporter with you to take some pictures of the shop and have him interview a few people there, that will scare the sh1t out of that prick.

Now the most important thing DO NOT SIT BACK and let him get away with this, these dealers get display pieces from company at a very nominal price and the display is meant for marketing of product, but these greedy MF's sell it to unsuspecting customers and make huge profits on these probably in the range of 25K for the price you have mentioned, so if he is saying that he can't do anything about it, you have to show him what you can do about it and you don't take sh1t from anyone, you have to be proactive, but now that you have been able to obtain knowledge, USE IT and give these money monger MF's a Run for their lives.

I hope it helps !! and i am sorry you have to go through this, No one should go through it, it's one of the worst feeling getting cheated like that of your hard earned money and i have had my share of experiences so i know from personal experience how it feels like, but the bottom line is you have to take what is rightfully yours, cos no one will give it to you otherwise, we all can only help you, you have to take the action, No need to be MR. Goody Goody, give them a piece of your mind from the first conversation you have. Now get rolling and give these A**H****S a run for their frigging pathetic lives.

Last edited:
For sure it is a Demo piece....
Can confirm not just by the facts you noticed, but also the way the guy from VGP has replied.
Fight with them as Mannu has suggested.
You deserve a brand new set.
All the best!

This forum has provided good knowledge to all the readers

i was noob in these things

but 7 Years ago i believe i also got demo piece of SONY 29" CRT :rolleyes:

Try what is mentioned in this thread

Thanks Rajesh!

I tried the option and was able to get into the service menu. The no of hours said 84 hours.
After purchasing on 15th noon till 24th night - it has run for 84 hours? Not quite possible, because I was out of station starting 20th to 24th. That brings the count to just 5 days - running 84 hours in 5 days does not seem quite possible. The max that I can calculate is 40 hours (considering the max amount of time me and my wife are at home after work).

That leaves it with 44 hours - I have read that the company tests for any faults by running the TV for sometime before delivering etc etc.... Would that be the case here, not sure.

Also, if I do a Factory reset - does it reset the number of hours also? Asking since, it could be that the dealer did a factory reset.

Okay the Dealer is taking you for a ride, that is 100% display piece, the piece should be packed in pristine condition and there is no explanation of it being opened for check up, see my thread on LG 50pk550r and I also got the same thing.

now the first thing you do is don't call the dealer, you call samsung and tell them what has happened and give them a deadline of Flat 24 hours (since you already are 2 weeks late) and stating that after that you will serve legal notice to the company as well as the dealer if nothing is done from your side, also tell them that you have the papers ready and have talked with your lawyer. Also send a complaint via email as well and keep a proof of all the conversation that is happening between you, the company and dealer.

Now secondly check with your piece for scratches and other flaws and take pictures of it.
NOW THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, get into the service menu and see for the usage hours, once you have reached it on your screen, take pics of it with the invoice + that days newspaper showing the date in front of it (ALL THREE SHOULD BE VISIBLE), WHY NEWSPAPER? Newspaper because that shows the date and will be an authentic proof and will be admissible in court, This might be a very useful piece of evidence if the thing was to go too far. Plus if you send the pic to samsung via email they will know with whom they are dealing and that will get them rolling, Plus it will be another authentic proof of conversation between you and the company. Remember recorded phone calls and other pics are not admissible in court and do not hold water.SO GET THIS DONE IMMEDIATELY.

Also if you don't know about the procedure to go to consumer court, then you can reach out for help from them Preparing and Filing Consumer Complaint in Consumer Complaints Forum in India they will serve the legal notice on your behalf for a very nominal fee and also help you in filing a case in consumer court. The dealer will not take you seriously till you have served a notice, but once that is served he will know how serious you are and will scare the sh1t out of him. Most of the cases get resolved at this stage.

Also if you can, try to get in touch with a local newspaper and try to get your side of the story published, they are pretty much looking for stories themselves, if you can take the reporter with you to take some pictures of the shop and have him interview a few people there, that will scare the sh1t out of that prick.

Now the most important thing DO NOT SIT BACK and let him get away with this, these dealers get display pieces from company at a very nominal price and the display is meant for marketing of product, but these greedy MF's sell it to unsuspecting customers and make huge profits on these probably in the range of 25K for the price you have mentioned, so if he is saying that he can't do anything about it, you have to show him what you can do about it and you don't take sh1t from anyone, you have to be proactive, but now that you have been able to obtain knowledge, USE IT and give these money monger MF's a Run for their lives.

I hope it helps !! and i am sorry you have to go through this, No one should go through it, it's one of the worst feeling getting cheated like that of your hard earned money and i have had my share of experiences so i know from personal experience how it feels like, but the bottom line is you have to take what is rightfully yours, cos no one will give it to you otherwise, we all can only help you, you have to take the action, No need to be MR. Goody Goody, give them a piece of your mind from the first conversation you have. Now get rolling and give these A**H****S a run for their frigging pathetic lives.

Excellent Mannu.. valid points. noted. Thank you v much

Akbglr

I'm also 100% sure that the dealer gave you DEMO piece or the piece which he delivered to some other customer and customer returned it back.

Further, you can check about whether it is a used/demo piece by looking at the back of the TV for accumulated dust and alos finger/thmb mark on LCD Panel in front, such as oily substance.

I also faced similar problem when Girias, Jayanagr in 2002, when they delivered me DEMO piece stating that the do not have that particular model in Jayanagar branch and will send it directly to my home from their Majestic showroom.

When I received my TV and even before they open the BOx, I told him that it does not look like the original company packed piece and delivery man keep on saying that "Sir it is a brand new piece directly brought from the Warehouse".

Then I took picture of the Box before they opened it and upon opening the Box, I found lots of dust on the TV.

When the delivery guy asked me to sign the Delivery document, I clearly mentioned on the Delivery Note and Invoice that DEMO Piece delivered and needs replacement and simultaneously I called the store manager and informed him about the FACT and he agreed to replace the TV within 3 working days and I'm one of the satisfied customer that Girias Store manager fulfilled his promise and gave me a replacement and this time the delivery took place directly from Samsung Warehouse.

Do not leave any stone unturned in your case and force them to replace the TV.

Akbglr

Chances are bright that they will replace with a fresh piece just after initial communications. Approaching the district consumer forum is quite tedious and resource consuming though you can claim a compensation for it if you win. It should be your last revert not first step because honestly there is not enough proof with you for the claim. No. of hours run, Demo mode, pack opened before delivery, no scratch guard.. are these are valid only till you sign 'Received the goods in good condition' on the bill copy.

My advise is not piss them off to an extent when they say "Do whatever you can". Remember that if they say so, they will be prepared and they have more time and resources to face the case than us. They should be rather replying "We are in process of..." Give them time. Reminders piss them off more than warnings. Do not approach media... they won't publish such stories as its not a company level fraud but at the dealer level. Companies have no real control on the dealers unless they sell only their brand.

If things are not in your favour, then you can go as per mannu's advice. You can also lodge a complaint in CCC They are very fast in communicating though not aggressive in follow up. Note that you must not use your TV if you decide to fight.

40 hours of running can in no way harm the set, but its that feeling of buying a used one that upsets us. Keep us posted on the status.

There is no doubt in my mind that what you have got is a demo/display piece. Dealers sell those all the time, and it is not something new. Particularly, when we as customers sometimes pressurize them for quick delivery.

However, the problem here is the TV has already been used for close to 10 days and if push comes to shove, there is no way you can prove that the protective plastics etc were not avlbl at the time of delivery.

At the time of taking delivery, you should have inspected carefully. In case it is demo/display piece, there will be tell-tale signs like fingerprints/smudges, dust, adhesive tapes etc not fixed properly, packing issues. If you would noticed all these, you could have refused delivery acceptance..once the delivery challan/receipt is signed, you are done.

I am surprised at the various suggestions regarding consumer courts etc...what serious proof you have that it is a used piece? None. Is there any law forbidding selling a display piece? I don't think so. Hence, legal route is not at all an option...particulalry when it is just 40-odd hours of usage, and no visible signs of any damages. In court matter, proof hold, not any emotional outburst!

I will suggest, in case there is no problems (anyways you are covered under warranty), enjoy the system and don't loose you sleep too much..treat this as a learning for you next purchase and being more dilligent while taking delivery. 100% agreed, not a good feeling (actually, quite a helpless feeling), but you have to do a cost-benefit analysis with all the proof you have in hand, before threatening legal discourse.

Last edited:
Okay i have read all the comments and I don't agree with quite a lot of points posted here, but yes i do agree with one that is not sending the pic to samsung India as i had suggested earlier, this can void your warranty so check the warranty terms beforehand, but do keep the pic handy if it was to go further. If you can, try calling a service engineer asking him to get into the service menu and then try and get a pic with him in the frame, but that's a long shot but you can give it a try, The reason i had suggested you that was because you are already very late + you have signed the slip as well, now you have to do something if you are to get somewhere with this, being Mr. polite will not work in your favor, I have had my share, you have to put the AXE down now or it is going to be too late. Remember every passing day counts. Now Regarding selling of display piece, Display pieces are given to dealers from company side for promotion of products and are not meant to be sold, they get them at a huge discounted price, now that my friend is a big fraud, the biggest problem you have is proving that it is a display piece, for that you have to take the initiative.

As far as involving media is concerned, then the situation you have got yourself into has to be handled, and media is your friend, just one glimpse of a reporter taking pictures and talking to customers in the shop and the dealer will be running from pillar to post. And probably you haven't dealt with media people before but I have and they can really help you, getting the media involved is a very big thing, and there are plenty of local newspaper who are begging for news, so i don't agree with them not helping you out, but you have to take the initiative. HELL you have pictures of potholes published in the newspaper everyday, you have channels like India TV selling crap news of when the apocalypse will happen, why do u think media won't help you if you approach them.

Now i have seen that a lot of people are saying not to go this way, but the thing that you have to see is that all the steps that i have mentioned are before consumer court only, media does not amount to legal proceedings but it will make your case stronger, serving of legal notice does not amount to legal proceedings it is just a warning and most of the companies will avoid getting into consumer court just because it costs them money, time and most importantly reputation, but until you have served them a notice they will not take you seriously, the legal proceedings will only start once you have filed a case in the consumer forum.

Now the steps that have been mentioned above are all passive one's and you can see for yourself what mess this passive attitude has already got you into, They will not give a Damn bout you if you just give them reminders, plus it also means you having the display for a longer period which further weakens your side of the story, you have to get tough with them or they WILL TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE, just see vramak's thread on his Samsung b550 and you will know what i am talking bout. If you are to get somewhere with this you have to be more than active, you have to be proactive. REST IS UP TO YOU.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back