Difference between a multimedia theatre and hifi theatre.

sahoork

Firstly I am new to this hifi world and newly bought following things for my audio curiosity.
Yamaha RXV 685 AV RECEIVER.
ELAC CINEMA 10.

What I felt after listening it's slightly inferior than my Logitech z906 THX certified 5.1 multimedia system.
1. My silly question is why hifi systems are more costly than a simple multimedia plug and play system without much brainstorming?

2. Why active subwoofer are costly more compared to a similar out put type multimedia system?
Is there any science please guide.
Sorry for my foolish questions.

There are a lot of variables in this. I had a Logitech Z5500 which is a predecessor of Z906. And then I bought Paradigm CT100 and Onkyo SR444 system. I find it much more detailed than the Logitech. Much better output than Logitech in terms of detailings.

1] The av receiver that we buy for the hi-fi home theatre has much more processing power than the console of Logitech Z906. Logi has maybe 2 or 3 Dolby formats only. Whereas the receiver will decode more formats for DTS and DOLBY. So multiple options here.

2] The Logitech Sub is a Tangband subwoofer [from China I think] with limited range of options. We can't specify frequency range,phase, etc with the sub. Just control the volume.

So in a nutshell the Logitech is a point and shoot digital camera and the hi-fi component home theatre system is a digital slr camera! You can mix and match speakers. Which you can't do with Logitech. I hope this helps a bit.

There are a lot of variables in this. I had a Logitech Z5500 which is a predecessor of Z906. And then I bought Paradigm CT100 and Onkyo SR444 system. I find it much more detailed than the Logitech. Much better output than Logitech in terms of detailings.

1] The av receiver that we buy for the hi-fi home theatre has much more processing power than the console of Logitech Z906. Logi has maybe 2 or 3 Dolby formats only. Whereas the receiver will decode more formats for DTS and DOLBY. So multiple options here.

2] The Logitech Sub is a Tangband subwoofer [from China I think] with limited range of options. We can't specify frequency range,phase, etc with the sub. Just control the volume.

So in a nutshell the Logitech is a point and shoot digital camera and the hi-fi component home theatre system is a digital slr camera! You can mix and match speakers. Which you can't do with Logitech. I hope this helps a bit.
Yes truly said bro. but thing is why a passive speaker is more priced than normal multimedia speaker. My point is this.

Yes truly said bro. but thing is why a passive speaker is more priced than normal multimedia speaker. My point is this.

The quality of components. The hifi grade speakers have better materials. They can handle a wide range of frequencies and usually are better sounding. For eg my Paradigm satellites are almost like bookshelf speakers. Size matters. Small single driver speakers have limited range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back