Difference between Sony W950 and W850 series

genopv

I have been seriously considering Sony W850 / 950 series.

But why are these two TV's are priced at different points? 55 inch 950's MRP is 2.24L, whereas W850 is only 1.65L.

As per Compare LCD TVs : Choose your LCD TV : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Television & Projector : Sony India high priced one has active 3D and the lower on is passive. W950 seem to come with a one touch remote too. else I don't seem to find anything meaningful in the difference between these two TV's. Would some one know why one should go for W950 instead of W850 at such high price point?

TIA :)

Note: I have been always wanting to buy a panny plasma. Actually interested in ST50D as well. But post all the confusion surrounding the Panasonic Plasma and its production life / warranty fullfilment etc and the fact that I might get a decent discount on the Sony TV (25%) with my current TV failure is giving me ideas of buying Sony though it is expensive.

W950 has deeper black levels (better movie watching)....and also local dimming of panel to get better low light level details. Also higher refresh rate of 800hz vs 400hz for W950 reducing blur in fast motion sequences. In short a whole new movie watching experience.

The W900/950 has a VA panel and it also has edge lit local dimming and uses active 3d glasses which is expensive.
Where as the W850 has a cheaper IPS panel and has no local dimming.

My self means? Can you please specify the exact source as this detail is not mentioned on Sony Web site or Product Brochure. Even for W800, dimming technology is not mentioned by Sony.

Last edited:
By actually demoing W850 one can make out that it doesn't have local dimming. Think that's what Adder has done.

That is subjective.

On Sony USA website, 47W802 model has frame dimming while 65W850 has local dimming. I believe only Sony India can authoritatively tell which technology is being used on Indian 850 models.

My self means? Can you please specify the exact source as this detail is not mentioned on Sony Web site or Product Brochure. Even for W800, dimming technology is not mentioned by Sony.

That is subjective.

On Sony USA website, 47W802 model has frame dimming while 65W850 has local dimming. I believe only Sony India can authoritatively tell which technology is being used on Indian 850 models.

I demoed it myself.It has a IPS panel and no local dimming.

The W800/802 /W850 upto 55" doesn't have any local/zone dimming expect for the fact that it dims the entire screen when its APL is really low.

The 65" version of the W850 uses a VA panel and it has active 3D for such a large size Sony has implemented edge lit local dimming.

But why are these two TV's are priced at different points? 55 inch 950's MRP is 2.24L, whereas W850 is only 1.65L.

I demo'd the 850 and 950 closely. The 950 is Sony's top of the line W-Series model so it is marketed and priced as a high end product. My comments from the demo:

1. PQ:

The W-950 does look smoother and color-richer as compared to 850 FOR motion and dramatic scenes. I made the Sony Center play football and deep black movie scenes and the difference was very clear. Motion-Blur and Jaggies were non existent on 950 and the scene flow was much smoother. Colors were more natural and richer. If you like sports and cinema, the W950 offers better PQ, the scene pans naturally without straining the eye.

2. 3D:
No clue. I think 3D for TV is rubbish; Go see Gravity in IMAX if you want to see 3D. I have no idea what active or passive 3D is besides that it gives you a headache at home.

3. Sound: No difference

4. Form Factor: No difference

PQ: W95 showed "pinkish" skin tones.W85 showcased "wheatish" skin color which as an indian i find natural but some might call it "washed out" by 2 shades!

SQ: i didnt bother.

3D:i hardly find 5% diminished quality,i am speaking the presence of shadows here.i vote for passive 3D,aprted form no head aches,these glasses can be used with tv's of other brands if u own one.

MOTIONFLOW: i watched 2nd ODI between india & australia for half an hour but couldnt find difference between 400 & 800 XR.

DESIGN:W95 is an absolute stunner.hands down.

note:ONETOUCH is pure magic.sucha delight.with W95 sony gives u bundled.Even if someone is buying W85/W80/W70 do buy a ONETOUCH remote if you have a NFC screen.

Yesterday I had a chat with Sony Support on Dimming technology being used in W850. Support was very pathetic. Even after 4 days, the person was not not aware of the issue. I had to reiterate it multiple times. Multiple times he asked if I would be purchasing the TV. Very unprofessional, like a local grocery store. It appeared that Sony India support person was just going through the formality and was not serious in answering the original question.

He then mentioned that support will not provide any extra information other than what is already present on your website. Why would we call Sony Support if the information is already available on their website? Strange...

From Sony USA website, I got the information that Sony is using Local dimming in 55W990a and 65W850.

55" Class (54.6" diag) W900A Internet TV - KDL55W900A Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US
65" Class (64.5" diag) W850A Series LED HDTV - KDL65W850A Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

Now if Sony can provide Dimming Type Information on US Website, then why it cant provide the same information to the Indian customers? Does Sony India feels that Indian customer is not technically competent to understand what a local dimming is?

Last edited:
Is w950 is Full Array back lit LED TV or Edge lit LED TV ?

I am also planning to buy 46 or 47 based on input received here and also based on demo of the sets.

As per the information on US website for W900, it has edge lit local dimming. Though it is possible that the Indian models have variation. US does not have W950 model.

You should also Log a information request with Sony Support. That will generate pressure on them to reveal hidden information. Sony India is taking us for a ride.

https://www.sony.co.in/section/contactus

@sanjeevji : I have raised query for full array vs edge lit also for dimming technology.
Also asked for why less information on website, given your USA link.

I have one more query, I am will be connecting TV to my gaming RIG, I would like to do 3D gaming on this set, can anybody tell me weather I will require other hardware or gaming rig and TV will allow me 3D gaming ?

Following will be my setup.
gaming rig --> Yamaha RX-v375 --> LED TV ( 950 or 850 ).

Also while watching movie my viewing distance will 10', can any one comment weather should i go for 47' or 55' ?

The only full array local dimming tv in india is the HX925,its available in some showrooms mostly they might just the last display piece.
The W900, W950,X9004 all have edge lit local dimming, where certain zones can be dimmed individually.

All other current tvs from Sony doesn't have any form of local dimming.

PQ: W95 showed "pinkish" skin tones.W85 showcased "wheatish" skin color which as an indian i find natural but some might call it "washed out" by 2 shades!

SQ: i didnt bother.

3D:i hardly find 5% diminished quality,i am speaking the presence of shadows here.i vote for passive 3D,aprted form no head aches,these glasses can be used with tv's of other brands if u own one.

MOTIONFLOW: i watched 2nd ODI between india & australia for half an hour but couldnt find difference between 400 & 800 XR.

DESIGN:W95 is an absolute stunner.hands down.

note:ONETOUCH is pure magic.sucha delight.with W95 sony gives u bundled.Even if someone is buying W85/W80/W70 do buy a ONETOUCH remote if you have a NFC screen.

You have great visionary , since you claim w800 is showing skin colour more perfect than w9. Everyone in the world found just opposite to you. w8 is using ips panel show it has passive 3d. w800 is a good tv ,but you can't claim w8 pq better than w9. W9 is flagship model so far the best led tv in 2013.For motion flow don't watch cricket , watch motor/car sports then u will find the jadder.

i never claimed W85 is better than W 95.I only pointed out that the colors on W85 look more indian or weatish(perhaps due to modest color reproduction).whereas colors on W95 are pinkish just like the western(i meant rich color presentation).in the end,we buy what seems perfect/convincing to us and not what the whole world feel.one need not be visionary to bring some petty thing like tv home!!In india regarding sports,cricket seem relavant.How many watch motor sport as religiously as cricket?
NOTE:(1) wheather wheatish skin tones or cricket,i kept my observations real for day to day life like a common man and not meticulously.

(2) if any of my observation help any single forum member rather than misleading,i would be glad.

I think the color temperature was set to cool or neutral and the other to warm1 or warm 2,hence the difference.

Color tones between W950 and W850 should be same. It appears to be due to some setting difference. Motion flow is definitely superior in W950 has it has a native 200hz panel.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back