Difference/confused between local cable set-top box,tatasky,airtel Dts etc..

truemate

Difference/confused between local cable set-top box,tatasky,airtel DTH etc..

As we all know SD channels don't look to sharp at all compared to CRT tv, are all SD channels on these HDTV's look that way even useing set-up,DTs !!!

I have 32'LG LE4600 and me little confused which DTH service will be good for it.. i mean in picture quality wise how much difference will be there in between cable provider's Digital Set Top Box (STB) and all these other DTH service like tatasky,dishtv etc

one more thing,, therz option in settings like watch channel in original format,,4:3,,16:9 etc.... when i used original format the pic cut from border but the quality get improved plus the face look also better Some thing like this http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/3567/20110216160110.jpg
..But when i used 16:9 option(full screen/Widescreen) pic gets little weird i mean it get stretched...broad face looks... :eek:
In all these Dts,settop box,is there any option use 16:9 format for standard SD channels as well without any quality loss/face stretch :confused:

From few days i am watching channels mostly in that orginal format 4:3 And somewhere in this forum i have readed---
"* Watching the LED TV in 4:3 format for a long period of time may leave traces of borders displayed on the left, right and center of the screen caused by the difference of light emission on the screen"

:(

Last edited:
What is the question? Your post looks like a rant. Only from your second post, it looks like you are waiting for an answer for a question you never asked.

What do you want?

P.S: It is DTH and not DTS.

oopz yeah its DTH.. thatz my mistake in typeing .. these sql server things always in my mind lol

btw i think in one post only i have asked many questions therefore people r unable to reply it,,but if read carefully then atleast u can reply to one of the qeurry wat has been asked(atlest by seeing the topic's tittle)

In short i was asking.. do these Tatasky,dishnet etc services are better in qualitywise as compare to the set-top box provided by the local cable operators like Hathway-http://www.hathway.com/dctv/setbox.htm

obviously there would be noticeable pic quality improvement in dth compared to set-top box.

obviously there would be noticeable pic quality improvement in dth compared to set-top box.

Cable Set top boxes are coming up with HD services soon. I read this in newspaper two days back on the event review of the eastern India cable operator meet in Kolkata.

In short i was asking.. do these Tatasky,dishnet etc services are better in qualitywise as compare to the set-top box provided by the local cable operators like Hathway-http://www.hathway.com/dctv/setbox.htm

Cable STBs have variable signal qualities.. I have used hathway in chennai , bangalore and hyderabad. In hyderabad PQ is not up to the mark while it was easily better than tata sky in chenai and bangalore. Dont know what parameters it depends on.

The PQ from DTHs is pretty much constant. But it varies in between channels. This makes it harder. For eg. SUN DTH shows tamil channels with more quality than others, TS shows hindi channels with slightly better quality and so there is no definite answer. It depends on channels you watch end of the day.

From what I have seen,

BIG TV > SUN DTH > TS > Airtel > Dish (Dont know about videocon and airtel lags behind inspite of advertising best quality).

Hatway as I said depends on area and also misses out certain channels.

PQ depends on the level and type of compression used. Local Cable operators can easily provide best quality due to the flexible choice of devices and as they are new in this space (like Airtel, Sun, Big TV who use MPEG4 for transmission).

Usually the compression is low in Cable, hence the quality is better or much better than DTH operators.

Last edited:
I have tatasky+hd , digicable stb, and some time back i had videocon d2h, colours are more in tatsky dth , clarity is there in digicable too but somehow for SD channels,tatasky dth feel more pleasant to eye with contrast brightness color :)

I have a local cable set top and i have am more than happy with the clarity and the channels it provides. I pay arnd 200 a month and get almost the channels. and he even unlocks any locked channel for mere 5 + taxes (total = INR6).

moreover, a lot of tata sky ppl complain that their set top gets disturbed during rain whereas i njoi in all the seasons. :) so my bet cable set top box :)

^ tata providing black mesh dish to over come that rain problem , few ppl got that with tatasky+HD, let see if that will solve the problem,

thanks guys for the reply......

Cable STBs have variable signal qualities.. I have used hathway in chennai , bangalore and hyderabad. In hyderabad PQ is not up to the mark while it was easily better than tata sky in chenai and bangalore. Dont know what parameters it depends on.

The PQ from DTHs is pretty much constant. But it varies in between channels. This makes it harder. For eg. SUN DTH shows tamil channels with more quality than others, TS shows hindi channels with slightly better quality and so there is no definite answer. It depends on channels you watch end of the day.

From what I have seen,

BIG TV > SUN DTH > TS > Airtel > Dish (Dont know about videocon and airtel lags behind inspite of advertising best quality).

Hatway as I said depends on area and also misses out certain channels.

these hathway set top box provideing some 200+ channels here :d and one of my friend have it... the PQ quality is good in that 36' lcd :)

P.s-
got sms
Get Tata Sky in HD for only Rs 2599 .... 1 month subscription and home delivery absolutely free lol

Last edited:
PQ depends on the level and type of compression used. Local Cable operators can easily provide best quality due to the flexible choice of devices and as they are new in this space (like Airtel, Sun, Big TV who use MPEG4 for transmission).

Usually the compression is low in Cable, hence the quality is better or much better than DTH operators.

yupp even i think soo... az i have seen some demo of both of them(i mean in friends home,, one with Set-top box and the other-one with TS) i hardly seen any diff in both of them,,,But the cable's set-top box was little clear in compare to TS lol

I have a local cable set top and i have am more than happy with the clarity and the channels it provides. I pay arnd 200 a month and get almost the channels. and he even unlocks any locked channel for mere 5 + taxes (total = INR6).

moreover, a lot of tata sky ppl complain that their set top gets disturbed during rain whereas i njoi in all the seasons. :) so my bet cable set top box :)

yeaaaaah this same thing i have heard ,, their connection get weak and the pic disappers in heavy rains,, but in case of set-top box they dont have all these problems

Btw u pay 200 hmm here the cost is 300 for 200 channels.... so going for set-top box,, letz check it :rolleyes:

Btw do any one know little bit of this Videocon D2H,az i have hardly seen anyone talking or useing it.... The new scheme of them thats 'New diamond' package @ a cost of 265 provides some 250 channels +music space(22 audio/video music channels) +3 d2h movies channel

Last edited:
I am using Hathway set-top box for my 40' Samsung LCD TV and i am satisfied with the PQ for most of the channels... most of the times PQ of regional language channels looks great.. The only resaon you should think for going to HD-DTH is for some 6 to 8 channels that is aired on HD.. probably down the line you should see more channels adding to this HD list...

As per the info from my Hathway operator, they would replace the exisiting SD set-top box to HD compatible set-top box very shortly.

Hey Petes.. thanks for the info.
even i have called the hathway people and they said they will put/bring HD soon..
and yeah in these DTH hardly 4/5 channel only in HD(discovery turbo,zee tv(only for dish tv) ,star plus....) so me not so much excited about all these HD channels, let other channel too goo for HD.. then i will jump for it :)

These war/competition of channels between these DTH ,cable operators always benefits us :D

Last edited:
yeaaaaah this same thing i have heard ,, their connection get weak and the pic disappers in heavy rains,, but in case of set-top box they dont have all these problems

Btw u pay 200 hmm here the cost is 300 for 200 channels.... so going for set-top box,, letz check it :rolleyes:

I get 292 channels :p from across India and of different genres :) that for 200INR! aur kya bachche ki jaan loge? :p

i fyou are in lokhandwala, i can suggest you another offer, my fren has taken cable internet for 999pm unltd and he downloads @ 180-190kbps flat! and the offer was if he pays for the entire year as advance then you get full years cable channels (STB) free! awesome!

Last edited:
I get 292 channels :p from across India and of different genres :) that for 200INR! aur kya bachche ki jaan loge? :p

i fyou are in lokhandwala, i can suggest you another offer, my fren has taken cable internet for 999pm unltd and he downloads @ 180-190kbps flat! and the offer was if he pays for the entire year as advance then you get full years cable channels (STB) free! awesome!

The problem is no HD in STB so far. Although I heard rumors that Seven Star may offer this soon.

The reason why cable operators are so cheap is that they cheat the channels by under declaring their customer base by as much as 90%.

The problem is no HD in STB so far. Although I heard rumors that Seven Star may offer this soon.

The reason why cable operators are so cheap is that they cheat the channels by under declaring their customer base by as much as 90%.

nopes nomore possible...coz if u r forgetting the stb runs on a magnetic sim card which is unique. Its required to inserted and switch on for receiving the feeds otherwise te stb wnt work. The cable cos. sends the feed only when the stb responds with the card which acts as the sim card. so they really cnt cheat, it used to happen in the past but no more. Thats one of the primary reason why stb came into existence, apart from watching what u like and pay for it.

I really found the clarity better than any other dish based cable provider, which would not have been possible if the sane frequency was being shared by 2 or more tvs.

HD is still in a very nascent stage in india, wait for another 6months, everything would be available on cable stb.

Half of the ppl wnt be bothered by HD thing, they will buy it coz they can afford it or some1 recommeneded. Saas bahu thing will say the same sick story in HD too :p and cable operators lack the fund to be invested in such technology so they wait for chinese to come with a cheaper but reliable solution :( but they will. as told by my cable operator (Manthan in kolkata, new alipore area)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back