Difference in 30-50K active speaker vs Amp + Passive Speaker

prajith25

Hi Friends,

I was wondering what exactly will be the difference in sound quality of active speakers like KRK ROKIT 6 G2 , Focal CMS 40 Powered Studio Monitors and a stereo setup with Amp and a BS speaker?

apart from connectivity options and Watts is there any significant benefits in going the Amp + Speaker path?

What are the limitations of active speakers?

One word answer in favor of passive path: upgradability
One word answer in favor of active path: space savings

Another word in favour of the active path: matching.

If the manufacturer has done their job, each component will be designed to exactly suit its mates.

There are threads which explain the technical differences between really "active" speakers and powered speakers that have an amplifier built in. A pair of really "active" speakers, for starters, includes four amplifiers: one for each driver, as well as active crossovers (ask the techies!). That's a hell of a lot of competition for one stereo amp and a pair of bookshelves!

On the other hand, of course, there are audiophile systems consisting of ...a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelves.

See, Prajith, You call a multi-way system 'active' when a pr of 2/3/4 way stereo speakers are
bi/tri/quad amped with
2 stereo/4 mono amps,
3 stereo/6 mono amps
OR
4 stereo/8 mono amps
RESPECTIVELY.
Having said that, the so-called generic term 'active speakers' usually implies speakers with inbuilt amp(s). Truly, its active only when
-it has one stereo/two mono amps per driver
-it doesnt use a passive crossover.
Now, many near-field studio monitors etc like Genelec & Sonodyne are made like that, therefore its most appropriate to call them 'active'. OTOH, there are a few well acclaimed speakers that have only one amp for each, say, 2/3 way speaker. This would necessiate using passive XO circuits to split/divide frequency bands suited for each type of driver. One of the best examples of an active 3way system is the Linkwitz Orion at linkwitzlabs.com. You can also google for 'Anamyst 3way active system by Zypher Power Labs'. The designer, Kanwar is, BTW, a forum member here.
Have a look there and then post further queries here. I am no techie but shall be more than pleased to share whatever little I know.
HTH
Cheerio.

Last edited:
If looking at actives you need to get something from a manufacturer that knows what they are doing rather than models from those who just want to tap into the. Minimalistic space saving market

The latter just crams an amp to a driver in an enclosure and viola
You have an active
These not only sound rubbish but any failure in electrical cut will result in a dead system
No speaker no amp

Good actives are generally studio monitors
Some sound good in a home environment and some do not

You should definitely hear actives before deciding which way you wanna go

I personally have been impressed only by the Adams and genelecs
The others have failed to impress me

Could you mention a few that have failed to impress you? The negatives can be as useful as the positives.

Curiously, the two names I have on my list, should I ever be able to upgrade to this world are Adam (but not heard) and Genelec (minimal audition experience only)

The entry level Krk
The behringer 2030
Focal twin be 6
M audio box 5
All did not sit well with me for home listening

Lets say they seemed like nutritious but tasteless food

Prajith please don't make your decision based on our inputs ... Please hear actives

Very well said.

From the little I have heard, I love the sound of the Genelecs, even the tichy-tiny, look-like-toys, amazingly-expensive-for-the-size 6010s that we saw at the recent Chennai meet. The one-lakh-each ones that I heard at the previous meet were just amazing. Whilst that is a lot of money, in those models you are getting the DAC (and room correction DSP) as well, so it is the entire system investment except the source, and one probably has that already anyway.

From studio monitors, I'd expect a very clean, pure, detailed sound: sound engineers want to hear the music, not the sound signature of the speakers. One can't expect deep bass from small boxes, whether they are sold as hifi bookshelves or as studio monitors. One thing I like, though: the major manufacturers who are selling to sound professionals realise that their numbers and charts and specs are understood by those guys, and may well actually be checked. Hopefully, this means that they, like their speakers, are uncoloured! :lol:

Even the entry-level KRKs that I heard in the shop when I was buying my low-budget M-Audios where just so clean in comparison

Last edited:
Idle curiosity. Can a 2 way active speaker not be designed so that both the driver amps are connected in parallel to the input signal, and both have a simple filter circuit in front of them that chops off the frequency above or below the operating frequencies of the drivers that the amps are powering?

Would this not make an active speaker but with passive crossover, and won't this make for a simpler design instead of having an active crossover that splits the input signal and then distributes it to the two driver amps?

Anyway, just an idle thought.

Idle curiosity. Can a 2 way active speaker not be designed so that both the driver amps are connected in parallel to the input signal, and both have a simple filter circuit in front of them that chops off the frequency above or below the operating frequencies of the drivers that the amps are powering?

Would this not make an active speaker but with passive crossover, and won't this make for a simpler design instead of having an active crossover that splits the input signal and then distributes it to the two driver amps?

Anyway, just an idle thought.

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

XM46 Passive Line Level Crossover Network, PLLXO, 24 dB/oct

Friends, If I go for a active speaker like Genelec 8130A Studio Monitors, how do I connect it to my DVD, STB and TV? Do I need some other device to connect all this and then connect the speaker to that? Is is good for home listening?

Actives I would can be segregated into 2 categorizes
1. Near Field / Mid Field Studio Monitors
2. Professional Audio aka PA speakers

1. Near Field / Mid Field Studio Monitors
Example of which would be Genelec , ADAM , ATC, KRK etc

Studio Monitors in general have a narrow sweet spot and off axis response and work best when the listener is seated within a few feet away.
Studio monitors are usually designed to have a flat frequency curve which is important in a recording studio as coloration is not desired as studio engineers want a true reproduction of their production

2. Professional Audio aka PA speakers

Example : Behringer , Turbo Sound etc

PA speakers are designed to high spl's and used at clubs, shows etc where high spl's are required.
They usually are very efficient and are capable of produceing very loud volumes .Most if not all PA's have a Horn loaded tweeter for a wider dispersion .
PA's don't have a wide FQ response and usually don't go below 50 - 60 hz even though they have large drivers.
However they do produce enormous chest thumping spl in the 100 - 400 hz region

PA's are in no way accurate or subtle in the way they reproduce music. Their sole design is to play loud with massive exursions and take a lot of physical abuse

Last but not least

Home or Hi fi Speakers most if not all produce a colored sound and designed to have a better off axis response and wider sweet spot.

However can activeStudio Monitors be used at home - Yes offcourse
can passive Home Hifi Speakers be used as a Studio Monitor Yes offourse

A few passive speakers are used in some of the best recording studios in the world

B&W 800D is used at Skywalker Studios, Abbey Road studios as well as some other studios

Ampion Argon 3 as well as B&W 800D's are used at Storckfish records

Classe CT amps and B&W 800D at Abbey Road Studios

Amphion Argon 3 placed Horizontally at Storckfisch Records Studio

Coming down to the Op's question in 30k - 50k studio monitor Actives or Home hi fi Passives + amp

Unless you listen to both
There is no definite answer.
It boils down to your tastes your listening distance and basically what sort of sound signature you are chasing Neutral , Warm , Bright , Clinical etc

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back