Different Gauge cable for left and right speakers?

Denon

Hello Friends,

Had to change my HT location recently and the wire for one of the rear speakers fell short of the required length. Due to the increased distance I'll need 14 AWG wire. Was using 16 AWG earlier. My question is, Is it ok, if I use 16 AWG wire for one of the rear speakers and 14 AWG for the other?

Thanks
D

Always preferable to use the same gauge and length of wire on both sides even if one speaker is closer to the amp than the other.
But then again, nothing is cast in stone ! :)
If you use different wires but it sounds OK to you , then it's OK ! ;)

Here you feel you do need thicker wire on the other side. So do that and see if it sounds fine. If it does not then change the other side also to a higher gauge. You don't loose any way ! Always experiment !

Hello Friends,

Had to change my HT location recently and the wire for one of the rear speakers fell short of the required length. Due to the increased distance I'll need 14 AWG wire. Was using 16 AWG earlier. My question is, Is it ok, if I use 16 AWG wire for one of the rear speakers and 14 AWG for the other?

Thanks
D

hi,
Always advisable to use same gauge thickness and the same length to all the speakers,if the difference in length is 1 or 2 feet wont make much difference.

Again depends upon your mind set when you are listening your mind should not remind you....if it does better replace with the same length and guage.

Also advisable to place your amp rack in the middle/center (side wall) near to your seating position so that all the speakers front and back are connected with the same length of wire and also it will be easy for you to have access to the rack.

thanks
r.s

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back