Digital Audio Co-axial cable recommendation

panditji

Hi

I am looking for a cable to connect my CDP player's Digital Out to the 3.5 mm S/PDIF Digital input Meridian DAC...I have the convertors pins already with the DAC...Looking for decent digital audio recommendations not higher than Rs. 1200-1300

Many thanks..

In that budget, the only real option is Designer Audio aka DAC cable available on hifi mart. I used it for a while - not bad for an ultra low price. Just don't expect refinement.

Before you plonk down your money, why don't you pick up some Belden or Canare 75 ohm coaxial cable , connect it to some Neutrik RCA plugs . You'd have a very good digital cable . Remember that the market is flooded with 75 ohm coax cables due to the cable/rf market. There are a lot of brands available. My mono 75 ohm cable cost me about Rs300/-! Can't hear any difference compared to some expensive cables.
Unfortunately people with no hands on expertise will not be able to do this ! But I think this could be overcome with some help from 'techie friends'.

Last edited:
Get DH labs D750 cable. It's killer. The terminated ones cost a bit more. You can also buy by foot and use your own terminations. It's USD 25 per foot

Rahul, before you indulge in high cost affair, do try Canare with Neutrik plugs. Very very hard to beat without paying silly money.

Hi

I am looking for a cable to connect my CDP player's Digital Out to the 3.5 mm S/PDIF Digital input Meridian DAC...I have the convertors pins already with the DAC...Looking for decent digital audio recommendations not higher than Rs. 1200-1300

Many thanks..

Hi
What do you mean - 3.5 mm S/PDIF Digital input ?

And

convertors pins ?

You mean Apple Lap like OPTICAL 3.5 mm Connection? Some photographs please?

Hi
What do you mean - 3.5 mm S/PDIF Digital input ?

And

convertors pins ?

You mean Apple Lap like OPTICAL 3.5 mm Connection? Some photographs please?

Yes, while Apple has analog stereo+optical, this has coaxial and toslink on its 3.5mm jack.

Panditji must be having a converter like this

71462.jpg

To avoid another link in the chain, he can look at a single cable like this if available at a budget.

Server_products-SPDIF.jpeg

Last edited:
Santy is right on the convertor pin...I have a Meridian Director DAC which comes with the convertor pin..so I basically need a digital cable with RCA pins...I can put the convertor pin on one side of the cable to fit in the 3.5 mm socket on the DAC...

yes the input is

1 x 3.5mm socket offering S/PDIF coax (3.5mm mono connector, (24-bit, ?192kHz) or S/PDIF Optical (3.5mm Mini-TOSLINK, 24-bit ?96kHz)

Co Ax & Optical Input in single connector - first time I am seeing this!

Yes, I had got confused and bought an Audioquest Digital Optical cable which is obviously not working.... Any recommendations for the Digital Audio cable which is not expensive???

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I prefer some cheap options..

Ranjeet: where can I get the Canare with Neutril plugs????

I guess you'll have to get the cable and plugs and do it yourself. Or see if someone can do it for you.

If that will take time and you need something fast use this cable: Comprehensive MP-PP-6ST Audio Cables | ST Series 3.5mm Mini Plug to RCA Plug Audio Cable 6ft

I have used that cable and it's a decent cable for a very small amount of money.

Perhaps I am nitpicking, but we seem to be mixing up optical with coax in many of the comments and also image descriptions.

None of the options shown or discussed were optical (and toslink) in any way. The converters were coax to RCA and vice versa.

I would also imagine that a true optical to coax converter (or vice versa) like this one would not be this straight-forward - as it is not simply a terminator change but a change in the transport mechanism itself (electrical signal vs optical signal).

Perhaps I am nitpicking, but we seem to be mixing up optical with coax in many of the comments and also image descriptions.

None of the options shown or discussed were optical (and toslink) in any way. The converters were coax to RCA and vice versa.

I would also imagine that a true optical to coax converter (or vice versa) like this one would not be this straight-forward - as it is not simply a terminator change but a change in the transport mechanism itself (electrical signal vs optical signal).

I think they are not Coax to RCA but 3.5mm to RCA. Coaxial refers to the cable, RCA is the termination.

He does not need any signal converter, just an adapter as shown in a pic. There is no conversion of signals needed as he would be directly using coaxial output from DAC. Optical is another option on the same port on the DAC but I believe the OP has preferred coaxial over it and I too recommend the same.

I think they are not Coax to RCA but 3.5mm to RCA. Coaxial refers to the cable, RCA is the termination.

He does not need any signal converter, just an adapter as shown in a pic. There is no conversion of signals needed as he would be directly using coaxial output from DAC. Optical is another option on the same port on the DAC but I believe the OP has preferred coaxial over it and I too recommend the same.

Thanks for clarifying. I was wrong.

Agree that some comments were mixing optical, but I guess they were out of curiosity.

For this need, though, Optical never comes into picture. Simply put, it's a 75 Ohm electrical lead with one end having 3.5mm mono and the other end having a single RCA plug. One can make such a lead for under Rs 200-300 with a standard TV cable.

Edit: I just notice it's been clarified.

Last edited:
it's a 75 Ohm electrical lead with one end having 3.5mm mono and the other end having a single RCA plug

It's supposed to be 75 Ohm including the connectors. Although really about video, this article is interesting. I may be well known for being no cablephile, but I really would hate to use a hotchpotch of not-designed-for-purpose connectors made worse by maybe throwing in an adaptor which probably wouldn't be great for a simple analogue signal.

If available, go optical! One purpose-designed interconnect between two purpose-designed connectors, and no adaptors. One can also boast electrical isolation :). If anyone mentions jitter, I'll scream --- and then ask how they think hotchpotch connectors will perform! :cool:

True 75 ohm RCA plugs from Canare. A bit expensive but will make a genuine 75 ohm interconnect.

CANARE RCAP-C53 RCA (PHONO) PLUG Group Y

Alternatively you can remove the RCA's and install BNC sockets and use a cable with BNC termination........maybe from Neutrik!

Are Neutrik BNC connectors true 75 Ohm connectors and are they suitable for HDTV? - Neutrik

http://www.neutrik.com/en/bnc/reartwist-cable-connectors/nbnc75bjp9

Have a look at this page:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=n...pI4G9uATa5YDQBA&ved=0CGoQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=793

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back