Disappointed with the noise out of the speakers

Ispahir

Hello folks

I have a Marantz NR1509 connected with Elac cinema 5. I've been noticing a rattling noise from the speakers every now and then. I ran Audyssey few times but it doesn't go away. Is it possible that either speakers or the receiver is faulty? Or is it that Marantz and Elac dont go together well?

I mostly listen to music and I don't know how to describe when so I'll give an example. The noise is very dominant at songs like 'Blue eyes crying in rain' - Willie Nelson. I think the noise is more prominent around high notes.

I mostly listen to music and I don't know how to describe when so I'll give an example. The noise is very dominant at songs like 'Blue eyes crying in rain' - Willie Nelson. I think the noise is more prominent around high notes.

Is it from both the speakers or just one? Did you try swapping the speakers, cables, etc?

MaSh

I tried switching the speakers but didn't help. I've not tried changing the wires yet. I also ran Audyssey a couple of times. I switched modes as well. When I switch to multi-channel mode the noise is there on all speakers

Play the same material in pure direct and see if the "noise" persists. If it does, then built-in EQ is not the culprit. You may also want to describe the noise a bit, as it is not very clear whether it is high frequencies that sound piercing or is it like FM radio station tuning sound.

I'll describe the noise as something similar to Velcro being pulled apart. It occurs mostly around high notes.

I tried switching the speakers but didn't help. I've not tried changing the wires yet. I also ran Audyssey a couple of times. I switched modes as well. When I switch to multi-channel mode the noise is there on all speakers

This makes me have my doubt on the avr more then the speakers or its wires. Do you have another set of speakers you can connect the avr to & try?

I had a similar distortion issue several years ago on my first denon avr & it was the avr itself that was the problem. I could be wrong but best to try another set of speakers & give it a try. Also do a factory reset on the avr too.

Cheers.

Play the same material in pure direct and see if the "noise" persists. If it does, then built-in EQ is not the culprit. You may also want to describe the noise a bit, as it is not very clear whether it is high frequencies that sound piercing or is it like FM radio station tuning sound.
I played it in Pure Direct Mode and the noise still exists.

Since these are satellite speakers, do check whether the avr is not assigning them as "Large". These should be set to "small".
Since noise is present on all speakers, it cannot be loose connection. It has to be something upstream.
Another possibility is oxidation of speaker output relay contacts...but then again why should all relays go bad at the same time.

Sorry to hear your woes..

Since the sound is coming from all channels in multistereo mode. The fault is either with the source which is itself distorting at times. Or the dac and pre amp inside the AVR. Can you try a different source and let us know. So we can be sure it's not the source but the AVR.

Sorry to hear your woes..

Since the sound is coming from all channels in multistereo mode. The fault is either with the source which is itself distorting at times. Or the dac and pre amp inside the AVR. Can you try a different source and let us know. So we can be sure it's not the source but the AVR.
I tried different sources like spotify, same song on Alexa. The noise is there on both the sources. Also When I play a movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime, it's there. I spoke to the guy who came in to install the system, he said Elac Cinema 5 can't handle Marantz and I should have gone for bookshelf speakers. Now he has planted a seed to upgrade to bookshelf speakers in my head and I bought the entire set just last month.

I tried different sources like spotify, same song on Alexa. The noise is there on both the sources. Also When I play a movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime, it's there. I spoke to the guy who came in to install the system, he said Elac Cinema 5 can't handle Marantz and I should have gone for bookshelf speakers. Now he has planted a seed to upgrade to bookshelf speakers in my head and I bought the entire set just last month.
Sorry to hear that.. But the installer was deceiving you. It has nothing to do with the synergy between marantz and elac cinema system. The marantz should very easily drive them without clipping at all.
So please discount the installer advise.

Coming to the next point, when I meant source. I was trying to see if you had any other component to feed the marantz line in. And not going digital in via hdmi or optical or coaxial.

I think actually there is something wrong with the marantz. Will be helpful if you can post a audio clip of the noise you are getting..a Velcro tape peeling doesn't sound like a ground loop hum z, and since you feel it's coming from the treble only, I don't think the marantz will be clipping driving the elac's

I use a denon 2400 with Dali z3,vokal and Z1. While watching netflix and amazon prime contents i also get a distorted sound. Even even while listening to music with Bluetooth or spotify. To explain the sound it will be like a crackling sound especially at high notes. But while listening to the same songs in you tube or the movies that have this noise in netflix and prime dont produce this noice in bluray content. So i finalized it is an issue with source and content and moved on.

I don't get any distorted sound when used multich stereo mode playing Netflix or ytube.Distortion and noise are 2 different things.Multi channel audio(5.1) sounds poor that stereo with same movie.Netflix has increased there bit rate now.
lf speaker has crackling sound,then its distortion.Lt can happen if echo mode is on.Also some speaker need good continuous power and AVR struggling to do it as its multich mode.on true 5.1 movies only front thee need more power mostly.
Finally check sourse level input in marantz.lf its more than zero,then DSP may pick some distortion while processing multich.

Hello folks

I have a Marantz NR1509 connected with Elac cinema 5. I've been noticing a rattling noise from the speakers every now and then. I ran Audyssey few times but it doesn't go away. Is it possible that either speakers or the receiver is faulty? Or is it that Marantz and Elac dont go together well?

The Marantz NR series is known to drive Bookshelf speakers and even some floor standing ones (Dali Z7) easily...one of our members at Bengaluru used the same easily for close to 3 years....no issues......

as per speaker specs.....https://www.elac.com/product/cinema-5-set/

Cinema 5 is rated at 8 ohms and can handle upto 80 watts power........nominal would be 40/50 watts

There should not be any issue unless the AVR is indeed faulty...

Try using a pendrive loaded with songs mp3s which have good balance of bass and treble and plug it in the AVR and do a playback and check....

Before all this...ensure all speakers are set to SMALL.......Bass Management.....LFE to sub only.......

If the issue still persists then post the same in the Marantz Owners Thread.....someone will give a quick workaround.......can you try these speakers on another AVR to be sure?

I'll describe the noise as something similar to Velcro being pulled apart. It occurs mostly around high notes.

That clears a few things. That sound could be the driver bottoming at high volumes or something near the speaker resonating. I had a TV unit door vibrating and it took me almost 2 months to realize that.

Since you have done the Auto setup, could you check another setting? Go into the Input menu and check the Input Signal level for the source? It would be nice if you could post pictures of this menu along with Speaker configuration, Crossover, speaker level pages?

MaSh

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back