Disc Doctor Miracle Record Cleaner Review

stevieboy

Ok guys,

Time for yet another LP cleaning thread :D No wonder the CD brigade thinks we're bonkers hehe.

Finally got some free time so mixed the Disc Doc cleaning fluid. http://www.discdoc.com/

Basically it comes as a concentrate in a big bottle which you have to fill up to a line (almost the brim) with your choice of distilled/RO water. I chose RO water from my Aquaguard. Then they give you a smaller bottle with a nice little nozzle in which you dilute the cleaner again 2:1. Or you could choose to use full strength cleaner for really bad records.

Method:

1. I cleaned some LPs which have been lying outside, with a cosmetic brush I had picked up. This took off the loose dust lying on the LP.

2. Dunk the LP in a shallow container of RO water to get rid of the loose dust, wipe with a microfiber cloth.

3. Spread Disc Doc cleaning fluid on the Disc Doc pads and some on the LP, scrub the LP, rotating it in my hand, rinse the pad in the container and apply fresh fluid for other side.

4. Dunk LP in container to get rid of most of cleaning fluid, generously bathe LP from bottle of RO water from Aquaguard and do final drying with second microfiber cloth. It helps to have two cloths here, one to absorb most of the wetness and a second one to get it close to bone dry.

5. Place in rack to dry!

6. After some time, zap it with the Milty Zerostat gun so no dust settles on the LP.

I've omitted the manual vacuum cos it was a pain, taking up too much time!

Results:

I've only tested a few minutes of songs on both sides of an LP cos it had dried only for an hour or two but couldn't wait :)

Initial results seem quite impressive compared to the isopropyl alcohol + RO/distilled water + couple of drops of Pril dishwashing liquid mix I was using earlier. Inspite of drying only with a microfiber cloth and no vacuum, the sound seems clearer, fresher and crisper. This particular LP is a compilation of old hits and was quite noisy and crackly. While the crackling is still there, it is immensely subdued and in my experience repeated plays get rid of most of the crackling except in really bad discs so I'll play it about 4-5 times and see how it improves and post again.

Overall, seems to be worth it, will have to clean a few more discs and play em to see!

Without the vacuum part the cleaning gets done much faster and with less of a headache. Also the pungent acrid smell of isopropyl alcohol is missing so that's a big bonus!!

Meanwhile, some nice new polylined paper sleeves are waiting for their new owners to move in...

What it didn't do:
There was a nasty small line of some sort of glue in the lead in grooves of one LP and this did not come off. Soaking it a bit lessened some of the stickiness but it's still there. If it was on a track I'd probably soak it some more, but note that the fluid does not seem to take away heavy duty glue marks.

Overall seems to be worth it considering one would probably be cleaning an LP once in one's lifetime but will have to clean at least 20 various discs to come to some sort of final verdict.

Last edited:
Yeah Malvai,

Sigh, still a bit of manual labour. But can't afford an RCM so will have to grin and bear it :D The Spin Clean with its no rinse seems to be a faster option.

You use the VPI RCM right?

regards

Hehe. Tell me something Malvai, do you get rid of all the crackling when washing? I listened to one disc today morning properly and the crackling sound is still there. I can make out that it has cleaned up sound-wise but the crackling seems to be a super-imposed layer, distinct from the music. Now I've found that this disappears or gets quite subdued on repeated plays. Wondering how much of the crackling you get rid of...?

Though, this was a pretty bad disc to start with, not a normal, few random clicks and pops disc.

regards

Hehe. Tell me something Malvai, do you get rid of all the crackling when washing? I listened to one disc today morning properly and the crackling sound is still there. I can make out that it has cleaned up sound-wise but the crackling seems to be a super-imposed layer, distinct from the music. Now I've found that this disappears or gets quite subdued on repeated plays. Wondering how much of the crackling you get rid of...?

Though, this was a pretty bad disc to start with, not a normal, few random clicks and pops disc.

regards

Stevie, I find that luke warm (aquaguard) water for rinsing does the trick... followed by wiping with a soft lint free cloth (old baniyans do quite fine)!

This simple method gets rid of most of the cracks and pops... It doesn't work on some LP's where the (microscopic) grime has wedged itself deep into the groove... But repeated playing does seem to improve the sound....

Up until now, I have tried the discwasher liquid and i find that luke warm water does the job just as well.... I don't find these 'exotic potions' too effective, to be very honest.

Elaborate please:), I am gonna need this soon.....like this weekend.

BTW, planning to order the Spinclean next month.

I will put up a step by step process with pictures soon. You might want to put the spin clean purchase on hold. Believe me.

Stevie, I find that luke warm (aquaguard) water for rinsing does the trick... followed by wiping with a soft lint free cloth (old baniyans do quite fine)!

This simple method gets rid of most of the cracks and pops... It doesn't work on some LP's where the (microscopic) grime has wedged itself deep into the groove... But repeated playing does seem to improve the sound....

Yup Malvai, had that on the agenda cos of how warm water loosens up dirt in a clotheswash and for washing heavily soiled jeans :) Heat expands, cold contracts. That's all the physics I remember from school. Or is it chemistry? :D Thanks for the confirmation that it works!

Up until now, I have tried the discwasher liquid and i find that luke warm water does the job just as well.... I don't find these 'exotic potions' too effective, to be very honest.

Thanks Malvai. I tried luke warm distilled water with few drops of genteel soap. Used 3M pads to make circular motions. Then let it stand vertical for 10 minutes till all the water along with soap was drained off. After that rinsed with distilled water and again left it vertical till all the water was drained off. Finally wiped them with baniyan.
The result was very good. Got rid of most clicks and statics.
Manoj

Great Manoj!

now do the same on your other records, minus the genteel soap...

try not using any chemicals/soaps... as they all have abrasive properties... and harm the record over time. This is one BIG reason I avoid any kind of record cleaning fluid.

Plus, I find that luke warm water and gentle cleaning with a soft cloth in a circular motion cleans just about as much as anything else. try it minus the genteel.

Great Manoj!

now do the same on your other records, minus the genteel soap...

try not using any chemicals/soaps... as they all have abrasive properties... and harm the record over time. This is one BIG reason I avoid any kind of record cleaning fluid.

Plus, I find that luke warm water and gentle cleaning with a soft cloth in a circular motion cleans just about as much as anything else. try it minus the genteel.

Hi,

I always use Amway car wash mix with warm water(not hot) and pinch of surf excel.I think sope/Detergent is necessary for proper cleaning.
I am very much satisfied with results.

Regards,

Sachin

I agree with Malvai on the chemical part of the detergents. But when you get very dirty records from used market, it is important to give a good soap scrub with warm water. Subsequently after proper storage such a regime is not required.

Thanks everyone for sharing tips on LP cleaning. What is the easiest way of not getting the center portion of the LP wet?

Thanks Malvai. I tried luke warm distilled water with few drops of genteel soap. Used 3M pads to make circular motions.
Manoj, by 3M pads..did you mean this? Is it ok to use something as abrasive as that?
scotch%20643.jpg

Thanks everyone for sharing tips on LP cleaning. What is the easiest way of not getting the center portion of the LP wet?

Manoj, by 3M pads..did you mean this? Is it ok to use something as abrasive as that?
scotch%20643.jpg

You can get branded microfibre cloth packs in staples store.... :)

Hi Santhol,

Generally I've found a bit of water getting onto the label does not make a difference when it dries. Just don't rub it when wet, pat with a cloth and let it dry naturally. You get label coverers online on ebay, two circular pads which you clamp together round the label.

regards

Hi Santhol,

Generally I've found a bit of water getting onto the label does not make a difference when it dries. Just don't rub it when wet, pat with a cloth and let it dry naturally. You get label coverers online on ebay, two circular pads which you clamp together round the label.

regards

Or it can be made by two old cd's and long Nut bolts and washer.

Regards,

Sachin

Manoj, by 3M pads..did you mean this? Is it ok to use something as abrasive as that?/QUOTE]

NO! Use the non-scratch scrub pads. It is pink in colour and made by scotch brite. (Mahirula in an earlier thread has given link to it).I used the granular side to make gentle circular motions with warm soap water.The results were amazingly good.
Also remember to rinse the LP with water to remove all traces of soap and let it dry for at least 6 hours or more.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back