Dish TV launches 30 channels on HD format

mgdelhi

Dish TV launches 30 channels on (Upscaled) HD format

Business Line : Today's Paper / CORPORATE : Dish TV launches 30 channels on HD format

Dish TV launches 30 new HD channel

Dish TV, the country's largest direct-to-home (DTH) operator, has launched 30 new channels in high definition (HD) format on its platform, besides making it more affordable to consumers by lowering the price for new connections.

Dish TV believes that its latest move would be a game-changer for the Indian broadcasting sector by taking digital entertainment to the next level.

With 30 HD channels, we will be able to put forward a significant differentiated offering to our subscribers, said Mr R.C. Venkateish, CEO, Dish TV. The company's portfolio now stands enhanced to 267 channels, the highest number of channels offered by any operator. The availability of one or two HD channels on various platforms did not impact the market. With this launch, we are officially scripting the HD revolution in India, he said.

Pricing

Dish TV has reduced pricing of HD connections to Rs 2,390, including free package for a month, against Rs 2,990. Pricing of monthly subscription is pegged at Rs 450 for the HD package of 15 channels, while consumers can buy other HD channels a la carte at Rs 100 per month.

Mr Venkateish said the HD offering would result in average revenue per customer (ARPU) of between Rs 450 and Rs 550, while lifting the overall ARPU significantly. For the December quarter, Dish TV reported an ARPU of Rs 142, while it has projected an ARPU of Rs 150-157 for the fiscal-ending March 2011.

Customer base

The company expects HD customers to account for 15 per cent of its overall subscriber base by end of next fiscal. Dish TV has some 15,000 HD subscribers or 0.15 per cent of its current subscriber base. We are looking to have HD customer base of 300,000 to 400,000 by March 2012, Mr Venkateish said.

The new HD channels span various genres including sports, general entertainment, movies, music and kids' channels. About 12 of the 30 channels are from the parent Zee stable, while the rest include National Geographic, AXN, MTV and TLC.

Dish TV recently expanded its transmission capacity by 50 per cent by leasing an additional five transponders from ISRO, which will give the company a significant competitive advantage, said Mr Venkateish. The company can offer up to 45 HD channels, he added.

Last edited:
What? What? What?

Which are the 30 channels in question? Are they upscaled junk or real HD channels? Can't believe my eyes!

Channel list : Wow! Dishtv launches 30 channels on HD…including Cricket world cup

Zee TV
Zee Cinema
Zee News
Zee Studio
Zee Caf
HBO
Movies Now
Discovery
National Geographic
Animal Planet
Zee Talkies
Zee Bangla
Zee Telugu
Zee Kannada
Times Now
ET Now
Cartoon Network
POGO
Ten Sports
AXN
MTV
VH1
WB
Pix
TLC
Ten Cricket
UTV Action
UTV Movies
Sony
Colours

I dont know what to believe anymore.

I guess most them will be junk SD channels upscaled to HD.

Your first post mentions that they are charging 100/- per channel per month for these HD channels.

They should have got balls made of iron if they were to sell upscaled channels for 100/- per channel per month..!! :D

Your first post mentions that they are charging 100/- per channel per month for these HD channels.

They should have got balls made of iron if they were to sell upscaled channels for 100/- per channel per month..!! :D

These are not my comments. I just passed on the information. :D

I would appreciate it far more if they can show 6 real HD channels they promised me June last year :).

Maybe the non-Dishtv subscribers like us can stick some kind of transparent "HD" sticker next to all the Zee logos - to get a pseudo-HD effect. After all those are going to be SD-upscaled. LOL.

Beats me what HD content will be dished out on channels like Zee Classic!!!

Someone please edit the title of this thread and replace the word 'HD' with 'Upscaled'. For the love of god, people need to stop perpetuating and promoting the 'fraud' that Dish TV is commiting by advertising and publicising 'upscaled' SD channels as HD. What is really sad, is to see consumers fall "hook, line and sinker" for this fraud, but to actually further promote the same lies.

Someone please edit the title of this thread and replace the word 'HD' with 'Upscaled'. For the love of god, people need to stop perpetuating and promoting the 'fraud' that Dish TV is commiting by advertising and publicising 'upscaled' SD channels as HD. What is really sad, is to see consumers fall "hook, line and sinker" for this fraud, but to actually further promote the same lies.

I tried to change the title to "Dish TV launches 30 channels on (Upscaled) HD format" but it changed the title of my post only.

For a Paid channel (DTH) hater like me, this translates into - Dish TV launches 30 channels on HD format featuring advertisements in HD. :lol:

True, the way they are marketing these new "HD" channels sounds like they are true HD. Also, still no info on when will they start DD5.1.

Upscaling an already compressed channel (from one lossy compression to another) will actually reduce some of the details due to compression applied twice. Instead if Dish TV could reduce the compression OR upscale from source uncompressed or least compressed data (like in Zee TV), that can ACTUALLY improve quality by reducing errors in SD channels.

Is there someone who is ACTUALLY getting these new channels (I am not other than the 10 added after LNB upgrade and Star Cricket HD).

Last edited:
as for classics - imho - if they play old "analog" content and broadcast it in HD, it would be HD indeed. However, if they use earlier digitized vcds then obviously it would not be HD.
That raises the curiosity - what is the resolution of master prints for movies that are digitized and used by studios?

Ha haa...30 Upscaled HD Channels :yahoo:

Is there a mechanism in india to sue these companies with false claims :confused:

Or they think that they can fool the people by advertising upscaled channels as HD channels..

350Rs for 15 Upscaled Channels....Joke of the Year :thumbsup:

Not sure what exactly DishTV boffins had in mind when chalking out such tactics.
They are spending on HD Up/downstream bandwidth for programs which are strictly SD.
The only upside I can see is that as and when they have HD source material available for uplink, they need not hunt for bandwidth since it is already reserved and ready. So practically DishTV is capable of distributing 30 HD channels as soon as HD source material is available to their uplink hub.

So practically DishTV is capable of distributing 30 HD channels as soon as HD source material is available to their uplink hub.

I wonder where the bottleneck is then. Can someone educate? Is there a restriction in india not to telecast international HD channels?

So, is it confirmed that all the 30 HD channels are actually upscaled ones? Or some of them are actually real HD? Can someone confirm?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back