Display port to HDMI

sidvee

Has any FM tried this cable, and is there any advantage of using DP 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0? My GPU, the asus gtx1050ti has both, and using the HDMI I am only able to get 8 bit color. Wondering if I can get 10 bit with the DP to HDMI cable.
Cheers,
Sid

Has any FM tried this cable, and is there any advantage of using DP 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0? My GPU, the asus gtx1050ti has both, and using the HDMI I am only able to get 8 bit color. Wondering if I can get 10 bit with the DP to HDMI cable.
Cheers,
Sid
AFAIK, display port is superior to HDMI and has higher bandwidth. If you have the choice between DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort would be the better option. In other cases, if a monitor only gives you the choice between, say, HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2, only then HDMI would be the better option.

But if you require ARC and 8k support then HDMI 2.0 will do. AFAIK Display port 1.4 doesn't support 8K

I think I understood your problem now. Your monitor doesn't have DP input port. This could be a Nvidia setting issue where you are getting 8bt colour output from the card.

I think I understood your problem now. Your monitor doesn't have DP input port. This could be a Nvidia setting issue where you are getting 8bt colour output from the card.
Yes that is right @ Mbhangui - connecting the GPU output to Denon 3700h receiver via HDMI, and I suspect that to get 10 bit color I have to use the DP output of the card, which although is not indicated in any documentation for the GPU. I ordered a DP 1.4 to hdmi cable, hopefully it works.
Cheers.
Sid

DP 1.4 has 32 gbps bandwidth compared to 18 for hdmi 2.0. However either your device needs a DP in or you need an active DP to HDMI 2.1 converter which is very expensive.

This is assuming your display device must support HDMI 2.1.

Yes that is right @ Mbhangui - connecting the GPU output to Denon 3700h receiver via HDMI, and I suspect that to get 10 bit color I have to use the DP output of the card, which although is not indicated in any documentation for the GPU. I ordered a DP 1.4 to hdmi cable, hopefully it works.
Cheers.
Sid
In Windows, you can override the output bit depth at Nvidia control panel "Change Resolution" tab. By default it auto negotiates to 8-bit but can be overridden to 10-bit if your display supports it. The same section also supports HDMI colour range option (full vs limited).

In Windows, you can override the output bit depth at Nvidia control panel "Change Resolution" tab. By default it auto negotiates to 8-bit but can be overridden to 10-bit if your display supports it. The same section also supports HDMI colour range option (full vs limited).
Having an issue with change resolution, if I use 30hz, getting a pink screen, at 60hz even windows HDR does not get activated. So currently it is at 24hz. My display supports it, was using at 60hz, 12 bit with nvidia shield pro unit, with no issues. At 24hz only 8 bit option available.
Also using Madvr with Jriver MC26, not sure if that is causing an issue.
So confused as to what is going on. Not enough info on the net either.
However even with this setting, PQ is better than nvidia shield with 12 bit. So getting greedy to see how it would be with 10 bit pixel depth.
Cheers,
Sid

DP 1.4 has 32 gbps bandwidth compared to 18 for hdmi 2.0. However either your device needs a DP in or you need an active DP to HDMI 2.1 converter which is very expensive.

This is assuming your display device must support HDMI 2.1.
Ordered this cable
for this card
Hoping it will work, else please advice.
This is spec. of my display:

HDMI 18 Gbps compatibility​

With an increase in 4K HDR 60P content, the VPL-VW270ES is now HDMI 18 Gbps compatible for smoother expressions of gradations.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
For anything more than 8 bit with HDMI 2.0, you need to enable chroma subsampling.

At 4k60, HDMI 2.0 tops out at 8 bit 444 or 10 bit 422.

GPU control panel.
I'm not familiar with windows. But in my opensuse it is nvidia control panel and I have to install this separately to get this. On linux it gets installed as nvdock. When you boot the machine, It minimizes itself in the dock and one has to click nvidia in the dock to open the gpu panel. The OS has minimal settings like Resolution, refresh rate. All important settings are in the GPU panel.

IIRC when I had browsed the CD which came with the GPU, the cd included windows software for the GPU apart from the driver.

Last edited:
Ok thanks will check on the GPU control panel how to engage chroma upsampling.
Cheers,
Sid
Subsampling ;)

This actually reduces color quality on the desktop but movies won't be affected as they already use 4:2:0 chroma subsampling during the encode process.

I am also going to check if the drivers for my GPU are updated to latest and greatest, which may perhaps solve the issue. Earlier I wasn't too keen on messing with card settings etc., but now that I see how much better the PQ is compared to the nvidida shield pro that I have, I think it is worthwhile.
Cheers,
Sid

I got the cable today, and presto - it works. All Problems fixed:
1. No pink screen on changing refresh rate to 60hz - before I would get a pink screen when ever I used any refresh rate above 30 hz.
2. In the Nvidia control panel - 3 options of bit depth available now - 8,10, & 12. Before only 8 bpc options would show with hdmi - hdmi cable.
IMO for any nvidia GPU user which has a data port, it is essential - NO MANDATORY - to use data port 1.4 to hdmi cable. 8 feet cable on amazon is about Rs. 1700. Else you won't be able to use the full picture quality potential of the card - of-course this applies only when your display has HDMI inputs only.
Sad part is - how difficult is it for Nvidia to clearly state this? these cards are not cheap starting at 15,000k to 1.2lac. I was stumbling blindly in all searches and forums without any proper instructions.
I saw 2 or 3 other queries in Nvidia forums itself which talk about pink screen but no proper response to fix it, just states that set refresh to 24hz.
Same in MadVR forums.
Anyways thanks a lot, to all the FM's who contributed, now I will fine tune the MadVR settings.
Cheers,
Sid

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back