Distance MBA?

Santy

My dear friends

I have done my Engineering and I now wish to pursue an online / distance MBA course to strengthen my career. Specialization if possible in Healthcare Management. I have 10+ yrs of professional experience. For me, study materials need to be crisp. I prefer less walking on streets (visiting centres physically for any reason) as I don't have lot of time. Actually I am just looking for a degree from a recognized/ reputed university and not looking for a great transformation of myself through this course. So course fee has to be minimum and no hidden charges. They need to be responsive to my emails (queries/ clarifications).

I have shortlisted three. Which one of the following do you recommend and why?

• ICFAI
  • IGNOU
  • SMUDE

Open for other options also if fee structure is similar. Please suggest and share your experience if any.

-Santy

My dear friends

I have done my Engineering and I now wish to pursue an online / distance MBA course to strengthen my career. Specialization if possible in Healthcare Management. I have 10+ yrs of professional experience. For me, study materials need to be crisp. I prefer less walking on streets (visiting centres physically for any reason) as I don't have lot of time. Actually I am just looking for a degree from a recognized/ reputed university and not looking for a great transformation of myself through this course. So course fee has to be minimum and no hidden charges. They need to be responsive to my emails (queries/ clarifications).

• ICFAI
  • IGNOU
  • SMUDE

Open for other options also if fee structure is similar. Please suggest and share your experience if any.

-Santy

Hi Santy, IMO, ICFAI is good but very expensive. IGNOU is value for money but many hate the "Open University" tag. Another option could be Pondicherry University, fees are less, course material is quite ok (but you'd require detailed reading to score great marks). They have study centres all over the place. Not sure if they respond to each and every student query thought (this is a hard one for any Indian University anyways).

My dear friends

• ICFAI
  • IGNOU
  • SMUDE

-Santy

what is your primary objective?

CV value of an MBA?

Or a desire to broaden your horizons?

Either way, I would; finances permitting (i.e having negative income for 1 or2 years), suggest a full time MBA. The value addition that comes from conversing and discussing with peers, the group projects (and learning consequently group dynamics), the more direct interaction with the Profs is what actually drives value in an MBA and is somewhat limited or absent in part time MBAs and distance learning.

Now, of course, this does not mean that a part time or a distance MBA is of no value and this also does not mean anyone who does a full time MBA is a stud. All I am saying is ceteris paribus, a full time MBA is what will truly unlock value.

My sense is, that if you are evaluating, an MBA at this point in your career lifestage, you would expect some discontinuity at the end of that process. For that, I would really recommend ISB in India or INSEAD internationally primarily because they are one year programs.

If it is just knowledge you seek, then

https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...1.57j0l3j62l2.3920j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

free university is a great place to start.
We have a program in our company wherein our younger employees can take on projects independent of their main role, and one group had done some stuff on free university. it was really interesting stuff. If you are interested, i can find out more.

At this point in your life, don't take half measures. the chances that they will payoff against expectations are a bit low. this may not be the advice you want to hear, but imho, it is the advice you should hear.

Sorry if this is judgemental. I'll butt out of your thread now

Edit: the point i wanted to make is-- you are going to commit 3 years of your life to this. you should be really sure of the return..

Last edited:
At this point in your life, don't take half measures. the chances that they will payoff against expectations are a bit low. this may not be the advice you want to hear, but imho, it is the advice you should hear.
You hit the head of nail, Kapvin. I come from Construction background. I was selected in NICMAR and SIMS for PGDM in the year 2011. NICMAR being a 2 year full time course where I would have to resign from current job. SIMS was 1 year where I could manage my balance leaves & had an option to return to previous job depending upon the placements but won't offer me the specialization in Construction Management. I did half measure, went to SIMS, did PGDM in Mkt for CV value as very correctly said by Kapvin. Unfortunately some crisis erupted and enveloped me. I could not focus on placements, returned to previous job and now lost a momentum for time being. Please do select Institute/Course after thorough evaluation.

CV value of an MBA?

Either way, I would; finances permitting (i.e having negative income for 1 or2 years), suggest a full time MBA. The value addition that comes from conversing and discussing with peers, the group projects (and learning consequently group dynamics), the more direct interaction with the Profs is what actually drives value in an MBA and is somewhat limited or absent in part time MBAs and distance learning.

Now, of course, this does not mean that a part time or a distance MBA is of no value and this also does not mean anyone who does a full time MBA is a stud. All I am saying is ceteris paribus, a full time MBA is what will truly unlock value.

My sense is, that if you are evaluating, an MBA at this point in your career lifestage, you would expect some discontinuity at the end of that process. For that, I would really recommend ISB in India or INSEAD internationally primarily because they are one year programs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...1.57j0l3j62l2.3920j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We have a program in our company wherein our younger employees can take on projects independent of their main role, and one group had done some stuff on free university. it was really interesting stuff. If you are interested, i can find out more.

Thanks for the advice. I have not decided anything, still contemplating. As I have mentioned already, I just need a degree from a university that my next employer would recognize if not appreciate. It is to add weight to CV and enhance my eligibility for the bigger positions. In other words, not possessing an MBA certificate should not deter me from applying to a post I deserve or a job which I can handle. My expectations ends there. At the same time, I do not want that to come from a fly by night private school. Learning some management stuff does add to my capacity. So looking for a decent option.

But doing a Full Time MBA after 11 years of academics at an overseas campus for 65000 euros?? :eek: Well, that would be fun and surely a great value proposition but I don't have that kind of funds! That's ruled out completely! But thanks again, some nice insights there.

Which stream of engineering you have done and what is it you do now? Maybe, that info might allow people to pool in their suggestions better!

But doing a Full Time MBA after 11 years of academics at an overseas campus for 65000 euros?? :eek: Well, that would be fun and surely a great value proposition but I don't have that kind of funds! That's ruled out completely! But thanks again, some nice insights there.

Whatever rocks your boat. I have batchmates who went to insead for a 2nd MBA. the issues was less the money; and more the world that got unlocked after that.

Though I've said more than i wanted to. I'l just give you two FOC pointers.

1. Nothing should deter you from applying for a job that "you deserve" or "can handle" (to quote you). as careers progress employers look more for relevant experience and attitude. CV values of MBAs diminish as time progresses, if the rest does not keep up. which is why I was suggesting 2 schools (As examples) which would cause discontinuity in your career.

2. A lot of times, deserving candidates do not get the job, because of poorly written CVs (shortlisting stage) or poor interview / presentation skills.

last post from me on this.

I'm also in a similar career confusion for sometime, but kapvin's honest & well thought out suggestions are very true. Sandeep's real life experience also showing more light here.. we should continue discussing on this thread more..

hello kapvin: may we know WHICH free university you are talking about? where U have a program in your company's younger employees.

CV value of an MBA?

Edit: the point i wanted to make is-- you are going to commit 3 years of your life to this. you should be really sure of the return..

I would suggest to add SCDL to your list - if the ultimate aim is just to have the degree on your CV. Nothing wrong with that thought process coz many a times, your growth is stunted just because you don't have a MBA/masters degree. SCDL is easy on pocket and is pretty flexible so will not eat much too much into your personal/professional life. I did an executive program from IIM Calcutta, viz. EPBM - Executive Program in Business Management and below are some pros and cons:

Pros:
1) Widely recognized in the industry as IIM Calcutta was the pioneer is setting up the executive MBA concept and EPBM is their flagship program, now running into their 18th or 19th batch
2) The professors who conduct the classes are the same ones who conduct the full-time course on the campus so they surely know the stuff
3) Gives you ample opportunity to network across industries and domains. You have a week's stay at the campus as well just to get the flavor and have some very interactive and interesting sessions
4) The weekend classes are done through VC so you get an opportunity to listen to the professors live and ask them questions via voice/chat - this helped me a lot as I cannot do 'self-study' most of the time

Cons:
1) As someone already mentioned, the learning cannot be compared to a full-time MBA
2) Pretty heavy on pocket - I guess it is close to 3 lacs now but you can surely opt for SCDL which will be less than 50k
3) If you desire to reap the optimum learning from the program, you will have to sacrifice your weekends for a year or 14 months
4) You don't get a degree but a certificate (SCDL will give you a degree)

Let me know if you have any additional questions and all the best !

Thank you,
Rikhi

Which stream of engineering you have done and what is it you do now? Maybe, that info might allow people to pool in their suggestions better!

more importantly, what's your work background.

Stream: scinortahceM (read in reverse, sorry.)
Current profile: Business Dev

Yes its all messed up. Couldn't help it. I exercise almost nothing that I learnt in academics. But I think unfortunately that's how some people end up making their career. I am not truly regretting though.

1. Nothing should deter you from applying for a job that "you deserve" or "can handle" (to quote you). as careers progress employers look more for relevant experience and attitude. CV values of MBAs diminish as time progresses, if the rest does not keep up. which is why I was suggesting 2 schools (As examples) which would cause discontinuity in your career.

2. A lot of times, deserving candidates do not get the job, because of poorly written CVs (shortlisting stage) or poor interview / presentation skills.

True. That's why I was delaying to think about it. Ideally it shouldn't matter that much, when we grow up to middle level management and if the employer can truly understand the capacity of the interviewee.

Actually I am not simply enamored by an MBA degree. Of late I find there are too many of them graduating and they lack standard. I myself have interviewed about 100 MBAs for our company in the past several years but hardly a few were truly employable. Plenty of them cannot write a leave letter without errors.

My dad had 3 degrees that too in the past, I always personally felt I am under-qualified :p. But the main reason is the fact that having an MBA might open up a few more options. So contemplating about it.

Thanks for the advice. I have not decided anything, still contemplating. As I have mentioned already, I just need a degree from a university that my next employer would recognize if not appreciate. It is to add weight to CV and enhance my eligibility for the bigger positions.

But doing a Full Time MBA after 11 years of academics at an overseas campus for 65000 euros??

Santy,

If you want to really realize the full benefits of having an MBA in your CV, then you need to be on campus, interact with the professors and burn the mid-night oil. That is the only way you will really reap the benefits of an MBA course. Part time or online courses are still not recognized by many employers and will not give you the kind of leverage that a full time MBA does.

For someone who has more than 10 years of experience, a one year full time MBA from a reputed institute is a very good option. I would strongly suggest that if you are keen on an MBA, then you should leave your job and do your MBA. It brings in far greater levels of committment when you know that your neck is on the block (I know this because I gave up a job after 10 years to do a one year full time MBA program from IIM-A). When you do a part-time MBA, you will always have some excuse (work related or otherwise) to slack or give up.
Some leading one year full time MBA courses available in India are (in no particular raking order):

1. IIMA - PGPX program
2. IIMB - EGPG program
3. IIMC - PGPEX program
4. ISB
5. IIML - 1 year program
6. IIMI - 1 year program
7. XLRI - GMP program
8. SPJAIN - 1 year program
9. Great Lakes

Having gone through the IIMA - PGPX programme a couple of years ago, I can easily vouch for the quality of the institute, professors and peer group that you will interact with. It is definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I know many folks who have gone to programs at the above colleges and can easily recommend the IIMA, IIMB, IIMC, IIML, XLRI & ISB programs as amongst the top 1 year MBA options in India. The cost for most of these programs are in the 10-20 Lac range. You can easily get education loans to cover the entire cost, and usually the exit salary is considerably higher than the entry salary. Most folks come to these programs with considerable work experience, so do not worry about your 10 years of work experience. You will find a fantastic peer group to learn from!

Best Regards,
APK

Last edited:
Stream: scinortahceM (read in reverse, sorry.)
Current profile: Business Dev

Yes its all messed up. Couldn't help it. I exercise almost nothing that I learnt in academics. But I think unfortunately that's how some people end up making their career. I am not truly regretting though.

You are much better-off :) I did hotel management 12 years ago and now manage a team of about 300 Reseach Analysts in Financial Research domain ;)

Last edited:
Santy,

If you want to really realize the full benefits of having an MBA in your CV, then you need to be on campus, interact with the professors and burn the mid-night oil. That is the only way you will really reap the benefits of a MBA course. Part time or online courses are still not recognized by many employers and will not give you the kind of leverage that a full time MBA does.

For someone who has more than 10 years of experience, a one year full time MBA from a reputed institute is a very good option. I would strongly suggest that if you are keen on a MBA, then you should leave your job and do your MBA. It brings in far greater levels of committment when you know that your neck is on the block (I know this because I gave up a job after 10 years to do a one year full time MBA program from IIM-A). When you do a part-time MBA, you will always have some excuse (work related or otherwise) to slack or give up.
Some leading one year full time MBA courses available in India are (in no particular raking order):

1. IIMA - PGPX program - rough
2. IIMB - EGPG program
3. IIMC - PGPEX program
4. ISB
5. IIML - 1 year program
6. IIMI - 1 year program
7. XLRI - GMP program
8. SPJAIN - 1 year program
9. Great Lakes

Having gone through the IIMA - PGPX programme a couple of years ago, I can easily vouch for the quality of the institute, professors and peer group that you will interact with. It is definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I know many folks who have gone to programs at the above colleges and can easily recommend the IIMA, IIMB, IIMC, IIML, XLRI & ISB programs as amongst the top 1 year MBA options in India. The cost for most of these programs are in the 10-20 Lac range. You can easily get education loans to cover the entire cost, and usually the exit salary is considerably higher than the entry salary. Most folks come to these programs with considerable work experience, so do not worry about your 10 years of work experience. You will find a fantastic peer group to learn from!

Best Regards,
APK

APK - I would have loved to do this but never had the guts to take the plunge. Bounded by EMIs/Kid/family, not everyone can afford to do this. But as I said earlier, nothing can replace the experience of a full-time MBA. The other larger debate is - do we really need MBA to be successful in life :)

If you want to further your job prospects do a full time program. Not a part time one.You will continue to be stuck with similar jobs with a part time program. That kind of reduces your options. A full time program could open doors to other jobs

Last edited:
I would suggest to add SCDL to your list - if the ultimate aim is just to have the degree on your CV. Nothing wrong with that thought process coz many a times, your growth is stunted just because you don't have a MBA/masters degree.

Thanks rikhi for understanding the requirement precisely! SCDL was shortlisted but I think they have only PGDM and not masters. But will surely consider it before taking a call.

For someone who has more than 10 years of experience, a one year full time MBA from a reputed institute is a very good option. I would strongly suggest that if you are keen on a MBA, then you should leave your job and do your MBA.

Thanks. Agree 100% with your views and appreciate it.

More people giving similar suggestion really makes me to think of full time. But my job is currently very important for me so there's no question of quitting it and spending big money on a course. Yes I know it can make huge difference to my future but my regular income cannot stop for more than 4 months. Over and top of that, a fat fee is something I cannot afford. I don't like to take loans, 'personally'. That is why I was searching for something simple and affordable but adds a little shine to my profile. In short, I am just looking for some peanuts for hunger, not cashew nuts for nutrition. :p

Thanks rikhi for understanding the requirement precisely! SCDL was shortlisted but I think they have only PGDM and not masters. But will surely consider it before taking a call.

Don't worry about the PGDBM stuff. It is equivalent to MBA. For that matter, even IIM full-time course fetches you a PGDBM only and not a MBA :)
Nonetheless, I will check my wife's cetificate and let you know what is written on that (she did it from SCDL few years ago)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back