DIY AM antenna

sgautam

Dear friends, my efforts to provide a good AM / SW radio to my Papa isn't going well. Recently I bought Sangean PR D5 from amazon for 8.5k, this was supposed to be the best AM receiver with a 200mm ferrite rod antenna claimed to be the biggest avlbl. Long story short - its not much better than our old Sony radio and I returned it. Special mention to Amazon friendly return policies, no hassles at all. Now back to my trusty tuners. Earlier was successful in making T type fm antenna and two of them are powering the FM sections quite well.

Likewise If anyone can simplify a DIY AM antenna I will be obliged. Even if it requires professional assistance I am ready to go to local techie. I went thru many online methods but I am unable to get a hang of it. Pl help, thanks a lot.

Last edited:
No problems at all, all in good spirit. Did you mean to follow the manual and build a antenna. That seems to be complicated and i am not sure if a local mechanic will be able to put it together. Will go thru the manual thoroughly and try. Will revert with feedback see u

Yes Rohit I am sure of that having read his posts earlier. I am out today to search for a willing mechanic in Vijayawada who can complete the antenna, not confident of finding one though.... Let me see

There are basically two types of external antennae you can use for long distance reception - the Hertzian double doublet or T type you have referred to in your post and the Marconi inverted L in which the horizontal portion of the inverted L is longer than the vertical portion or lead-in wire.

Assuming you have access to a roof, you can rig up an inverted L, using ordinary insulated copper wire of the type used in households for general purposes. For MW reception the length is not critical. For SW the length can be one quarter of the wavelength whose reception you wish to optimize e.g. 4 meters for listening to the 16 meter band. In actual practice, the one quarter length, though optimal, is not critical.

If an open roof is not available, then the compact type using ferrite rods which FM omishra has suggested will have to be adopted.

Last edited:
Hi thanks a lot both of u for reviving my interest, wat omishra suggesting could not be done here, no tech was ready to even discuss. I was just looking for a simpler solution, I primarly need MW and SW would be bonus, will surely try what u have suggested and come back for clarifications, see u

hi miroflex which type of wire should I use, can finolex copper wire work. What I understand is that I need take a big wire and ensure that the horizontal lenght is more than the vertical length that gets attached to the receiver end.

, then only one wire will go into the AM antenna socket ad the second one needs just grounding. Is my understanding correct

We have a very big roof and I can easily do this any pointers on lenght best cable etc Pl answer immediately since I willl be home tomm evening thanks

In Nasik I have my National Ekco A731 8 band valve radio from 1960. For its best SW reception (AM is screwed up on that and needs a engineering touch), I have installed a terrace top aerial system the typical inverted L.

I approached a electrical shop and purchased gauge 14 or gauge 16 bare copper conductor wire some 5 or 6 meters in length. I rub that with a sand paper. I also took some porcelain insulators. I have strung that copper wire on building terrace between porcelain insulators. I use a long 1/18 insulated aluminium wire of around 8 to 10 meters from that copper wire to my radio aerial socket. The radio is earthed through the three PIN power cable.
SW reception is pretty good and clear in a RCC structure despite radio being in its 56th year now.
As I said MW band is noisy as the inside is screwed up and the radio lacks ferrite antenna inside.
I had connected a static FM circuit on Pickup Band but later removed it.

If you can get the Copper Mesh aerial if some shop is still having it can solve your problem.
For an idea, take a look here:

``Mysurean Musings: Bush Radio and its Magic Eye

The last copper aerial I purchased was in year 2001 or 2002 in Mumbai. They dont sell that now. I have strung that copper mesh in my 6th floor highrise apartment window.

Most innovative and simple products are dying fast.

hi miroflex which type of wire should I use, can finolex copper wire work. What I understand is that I need take a big wire and ensure that the horizontal lenght is more than the vertical length that gets attached to the receiver end.

, then only one wire will go into the AM antenna socket ad the second one needs just grounding. Is my understanding correct

We have a very big roof and I can easily do this any pointers on lenght best cable etc Pl answer immediately since I willl be home tomm evening thanks

Hi S Gautam,

I am sorry I could not reply to your query in a timely manner as I seem to have missed seeing your post.

The sensitivity of the antenna will, within limits, be directly proportional to the length of the wire and its gauge (thickness of the conductor). A longer horizontal portion combined with a thicker gauge of wire will increase the gain i.e. you will get a higher signal strength. Ideally the horizontal length should be the same or one-half or one-quarter of the wavelength of the signal being received i.e. 13 metres or 6 1/2 metres or 3 1/4 metres in length for receiving signals on the 13 metre band.

In actual practice the length of wire is not so critical, particularly for Medium Wave reception. It is preferable to use insulated wire for the antenna thereby obviating the need for insulators for stringing up the wire. If you have an earth connection on your radio you can bury a short length of pipe into the ground and use it for earthing your set.

I hope your antenna is operational by now and you are getting good results from it. All the best and happy listening!

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the detailed info. I am yet to try AM since we are happy with the DD STB option. Still I would like to give a try with my leftover wires and see. We are hardly using our handhelds nowadays.

Your post will be useful for many friends anyway. Thanks again

I made on DIY AM antenna. It was working well, but sadly it got misplaced during shifting from Bangalore to Pune. I have controller plus wire and only active head ends are missing.
Source - https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...Lfl-b4RiHR6CVkBnQ&sig2=RZGbn8xWkMfuIQrNnltyIw

One thing to consider is this active AM antenna is powered with AC wall adapter still no noise. [emoji2]
So noise is mainly captured by headend antenna from surrounding than power supply.

Last edited:
Back