DIY - Audio Program Timer

bijinmb

DIY - Digital Audio Program Timer

It's my pleasure to introduce this DIY Smart Digital Audio Program Timer.

Typical usage scenarios:

1. Daily listening music at our favorite time and turning off the entire system after a specified time duration.
2. Scheduling important programs which comes in the Radio/TV, so we don't need to remember to turn on.
3. Keeps track of times when you have to record various programs.

Features:
  • Integrated EMI / RFI Filter gives good AC filtering providing the devices a good noise/distortion free Power supply.
  • Lithium battery CR2032 for memory back up.
  • 8 ON/OFF program per day.
  • Daily weekly and impulse programs.
  • Program can also be combined with daily and weekly programs.
  • MANUAL OVERRIDE FEATURE: Turn device ON if already OFF or Viceversa.
    Timer automatically resumes program on next programned cycle. (From ON to AUTO mode, it will stay on until the next programmed OFF time). (From OFF to AUTO mode, it will stay OFF until next programmed ON time).
  • Running Accuracy: 1 second / day at 20 Degree C.
  • 8 Universal socket power outlets.
  • Compact design.

Cost Estimate:

Cabinet cost: 1550 INR.
Digital Timer: 850 INR.
Universal Sockets: 360 Approx.
Mains chord 5Meter 3 core 6 Amps: 400 INR.
Wires, female disconnect terminals, MX 3 Pin Plug, led, bush, screws, power receptor socket etc: 300 Approx.
Elcom 230V 15Amp EMI/ RFI Filter: 250 INR

Total: 3660 approx.

Universal mains socket, bush, wire, plug mains socket, cabinet, digital timer 250V 15A.

Mounted Digital Timer in the cabinet.

Back panel of the cabinet. It can accommodate 8 Power Sockets.

Completed Internal Wiring.

EMI / RFI Filter gives good AC filtering, providing the devices a good noise/distortion free Power supply.

Finished Back Panel.

Smart Audio Program Timer!

Last edited:
Many congratulations for the DIY result.

I need a specific timer, please tell me if this is possible.

It should buzz every 20 minutes for around 12 hours a day and the buzzing should not stop till i stop it manually while the 2nd buzz onward s they should continue to buzz on completion of 20 minutes and needless to say that none of these buzzes should stop till i stop them manually. If certain part of my requirement if you have not understood then please tell me.

I have more requirements also for this 20 minute of which i shall write to you if i receive a favorable reply.

V.

Last edited:
Great DIY. Can you provide approximate cost and from where to source the components?

Cabinet cost: 1550 INR. source: did myself with 4mm acrylic and laser engraving.
Digital Timer: 850 INR. source: http://diyaudiocart.com/Electronics-Parts/digital timers/programmable-timer
Universal Sockets: 360 Approx.
Mains chord 5Meter 3 core 6 Amps: 400 INR.
Wires, female disconnect terminals, MX 3 Pin Plug, led, bush, screws, power receptor socket etc: 300 Approx.
Elcom 230V 15Amp EMI/ RFI Filter: 250 INR source: http://diyaudiocart.com/Electronics-Parts/RFI-EMI-Filter/Elcom-RFI-EMI-Filter-15-Amp

Total: 3660 approx.

Last edited:
bijin, So you completed the build. This was the one you told me about? For turning on FM especially?

bijin, So you completed the build. This was the one you told me about? For turning on FM especially?

No Titus, I have still miles to go before I sleep. Only Pass B1 almost and Audio program timer is completed.

Remaining is:

1. 2 x Jean Hiraga's - Le Monstre 8W Class A build for Hi and Mid.
2. 1 x Goldmound - Mimesis 240W Class AB build for Low.
3. 1 x LR 4th Order Active Xover build.

Yeah this exactly, Listening Radio in the morning this timer does great help.
Since chances of forgetting to turn off the system is very high due to office go.

And I have noticed several times I kept my class A amp turned on for 8-10 hrs idle!

That should not happen anymore and this smarty friend gonna taker care of that now onward.

Last edited:
Many congratulations for the DIY result.

I need a specific timer, please tell me if this is possible.

It should buzz every 20 minutes for around 12 hours a day and the buzzing should not stop till i stop it manually while the 2nd buzz onward s they should continue to buzz on completion of 20 minutes and needless to say that none of these buzzes should stop till i stop them manually. If certain part of my requirement if you have not understood then please tell me.

I have more requirements also for this 20 minute of which i shall write to you if i receive a favorable reply.

V.

I think you should have to search for a custom programmable timer in the market.

Or else it can be build with Microcontroller, PIC, ATMEL etc...

I know to program on PIC MCU and I have its USB Programmer. But building one is not possible at this time since I don't have anymore time to spend on any other work other than my personal.

I suggest you to use PIC 16F877A MCU. It has lots of cool features mainly 2 or more built in timer and 10-bit, 8-channel A/D converter.

Rest of the things are driving few relays and things like that. The circuit will be pretty easy to be done on a Veroboard.

Thank you very much for your writing.

I wish i had the ability to understand your suggestions.

However as and when if you have time or inclination to do this job for me then do write to me so that we can take it further towards the cost etc.

The timer which i have mentioned, goggle's chrome had exactly the same and it helped me a lot but then suddenly they discontinued with it.

As of now i am having a timer but it shuts on it's own after a few beeps and then each time i have to set it again for 20 minutes, this process is risky and frustrating.

V.

Bibin,

its indeed a nice build. I built a similar timer for my Water heater 2 years ago using a similar timer which is 3kW capacity. Which switches on 3 times a day.
One thing i have noticed that the timer resets once the inbuilt li-ion battery depletes. Its just takes 6 months for that to happen. I think its a CR-2032 li-on battery. That is one annoying thing. Just wanted to keep you updated on this.

cheers,
Vincent

Bibin,

its indeed a nice build. I built a similar timer for my Water heater 2 years ago using a similar timer which is 3kW capacity. Which switches on 3 times a day.
One thing i have noticed that the timer resets once the inbuilt li-ion battery depletes. Its just takes 6 months for that to happen. I think its a CR-2032 li-on battery. That is one annoying thing. Just wanted to keep you updated on this.

cheers,
Vincent

My name is Bijin and I am Bibin's brother.

In my experience the battery has lasted more than a year and that depends Vincent.

Last edited:
Very nice!

I bought two of the same timers from diyaudiocart, and use one of
them to turn on a FM radio. These timers work great.

I don't recollect the contact current rating, but be careful using so many outlets directly.
You may want to drive secondary relay(s) from the timer contact, to
not exceed the current rating of the timer's relay.

I also feel a need for a power on sequencer, which switches on loads
in a sequence with a small delay.

Very nice!

I bought two of the same timers from diyaudiocart, and use one of
them to turn on a FM radio. These timers work great.

I don't recollect the contact current rating, but be careful using so many outlets directly.
You may want to drive secondary relay(s) from the timer contact, to
not exceed the current rating of the timer's relay.

I also feel a need for a power on sequencer, which switches on loads
in a sequence with a small delay.

It can easily handle the load since its 15A version.

Many people are using this for powering water pump and water heater even.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back