DIY B&W Nautilus

Amazing skills.Went through all the photos.I wonder how they sound.
And you can join Suri in the hall of fame for discovering 'original' sites.

Amazing skills.Went through all the photos.I wonder how they sound.
And you can join Suri in the hall of fame for discovering 'original' sites.
Second that! How do you find all this stuff?
Amazing what DIYers can do. Gotta translate the page and read through.
Cap'n, wanna try something like this for your impending speaker cabinet build?

For those who want a translation:

Constructed by Llus Pujolas

The entire ODISEA project started when I saw a few photographs on an american web page of the ODISEA 1. It left me enthusiastic, and I started to search for who had constructed them. The search found me at the web page of Ernest Ruz, Audio Nirvana. Pagina de Audio de Ernest Ruiz - Audio Nirvana. Ernest Ruiz's Audio Page, on which was a review of the same (speakers).

I saw that they had been constructed by a Spaniard, and I thought how much I'd like to move to Cdiz or to Corua to see them, and that motivated me to start the project.

The surprise was greater when I knew that the constructor and designer of the same was in Barcelona, barely 100 km from where I live. His name is Alfonso de Rojas. Without him it it would have not been possible to carry out this project, logically, and I thank him and also Mauricio Urkidi for his wisdom, advice and ideas. Thanks to both of them for everything.

I will move on to detail how I constructed the ODISEA 2 with images, to which I have added a brief explanation of the details, so that, this way it will be more didactic and interesting.

The photographs show all the entire process of fabrication of the conches, and the rest of the speakers and you will be able to observe the construction process of the same, step by step. Once these are half constructed, the speaker cavities of the bass and treble were constructed.

The construction of the same, took me around a year and a half of hard work thankfully recompensed by the final result, I suppose it was about 400 hours of work.

The rest might take some time, if someone's interested I can do them tomorrow. Too many pages!!

Second that! How do you find all this stuff?
Amazing what DIYers can do. Gotta translate the page and read through.
Cap'n, wanna try something like this for your impending speaker cabinet build?

custom translated ;) then i saw your post while i was translating. no generic google stuff only the best for you iaudio ;) :D

For last 5 years whenever I see horns which are expensive I always thought tht why no manufacture fabricate them in plastic mouldings and mass produce them? or plasic does not have required properties?

So, it appears that FRP can be used to make speaker cabinets.

Good idea! From what I can see, the back wave is being progressively reduced like a reverse horn. Dont know if the drivers can handle the technique.
Indeed Captain, apart from the ability to take shapes that are difficult to achieve using MDF, FRP also has acoustic properties (since the ingredients include glass fibres just like in glass wool). Check out this simple thread below, where Satya an ICE installer in Bangalore has documented a DIY FRP build:

My first Fiberglass Install - Team-BHP

Indeed Captain, apart from the ability to take shapes that are difficult to achieve using MDF, FRP also has acoustic properties (since the ingredients include glass fibres just like in glass wool). Check out this simple thread below, where Satya an ICE installer in Bangalore has documented a DIY FRP build:
Thanks for the input Santosh will try to hook ur with guy

Page 1

Sin ms prembulos, os paso a detallar minuciosamente el proceso de diseo, fabricacin y acabado.
Without further ado, I will go on to detail thoroughly for you all the design, fabrication and finishing process.

02/07/2004: Visita a casa de Alfonso de Rojas, el constructor y diseador de las ODISEA 1. Las podis observar a derecha e izquierda de la imagen.
02/07/2004: A visit to Alfonso de Rojas's house, the constructor and designer of the ODISEA 1. You can see them to the right and left in the picture.

Saqu el plano ploteado y lo pegu en una madera para cortarlo con una sierra de calar de carpintera.
I worked out the plotted plan and pasted it on a piece of wood in order to cut it with a carpenter's jigsaw.

Las 2 espinas dorsales de las 2 caracolas, una vez cortadas.
The 2 dorsal spines of the two conches, once cut.

Con un comps y con la sierra de calar se procede al recorte y pegado de las costillas las, cuales formarn el esqueleto de la caracola.
With a compass and the jigsaw, I proceed to the cut and pasting of the ribs, which would form the skeleton of the conch.

Lateral terminado de la primera caracola.
Lateral end of the first conch.

Piezas de acero inoxidable, que van instalados dentro de las caracolas, para la fijacion del pi. Su forma curva se adapta a la forma interor de las caracolas.
Pieces of stainless steel, which are going to be installed inside the conches, for fixing the foot. Its curved form adapts itself to the interior form of the conches.

Page 2

Llen el interior con tejido de fibra de Poliester, lo endurec con resina, para as conseguir una mayor fijacin de las costillas y mayor consistencia
I filled the interior with polyester fiber fabric, hardened it with resin, in order to get in this way a stronger fix of the ribs and greater consistency.

Parte exterior de la caracola, una vez recubierto el interior de fibra de poliester.
The exterior part of the conch, once the interior is coated with polyester fiber.

Con una escuadra se alinean las costillas una a una, para buscar que quede lo ms perfecto possible
With a set square, the ribs were aligned one by one, in order to find the perfect spots for them.

Aqu se puede observar la fibra antes y despues de poner las resinas, y en la parte posterior el soporte de inoxidable.
Here one can see the fiber before and after applying the resin, and at the bottom part the stainless steel support.

Lateral enresinado menos la parte donde va la corona del altavoz de graves.
The lateral part with resin, minus the part where the crown of the bass speaker comes.

Torne una corona de madera a medida, que es donde va ubicado el altavoz de graves, y se lo pegu con fibra en el frontal.
I turned a custom measured crown of wood, which is where the bass speaker (opening) comes to, and pasted it with fiber in the front.

Prueba para unir las dos partes. La inferior la podeis observar con fibra y la superior si fibra.
A test to join the two parts. You can see the bottom one with fiber and the top one without fiber.

Vista general del montaje de las "caracolas"
A general view of the assembly of the conches.

@Stevieboy
I love the poetry of Pablo Neruda and Federico Garcia Lorca.And the fiction of Jorge Luis Borges and Miguel de Cervante.And the cinema of Luis Bunuel and Carlo Saura.And the paintings of Francisco Goya,Diego Velazquez and Pablo Picasso.I wish I had your knowledge of Espanol....

asombroso!!!!
This is the best DIY speaker build I have ever seen! I feel the build quality is even better than the original speakers. The man has an eye for detail.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back