DIY cabinet for Coral 12TET 1 speakers

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

I recently bought a pair of vintage coral 12TET 1 speakers in a really good condition. I can't seem to find much info on the internet regarding them though. I have the 8 ohms version but from what I gather on the internet, they seem to be 16ohms. Mine surely say 8 on the magnet. The speakers are nice looking, big and heavy. I wanted to know what kind of cabinet I could make for them. Either TS or bass reflex?

Looking to some guidance regarding the same. They are 12 inch speakers.

Thank you. Will upload some pics in a couple of days.

Fire up your existing amp and see how they sound in the raw. At that size should be really clean and distortion free.

If the sound is to your liking then consider open baffle for the unboxed sound.

Thanks but I definitely need a cabinet. Just looking at what kind. Will give me more bass and clean up the mids too. They sound very "open" in the open

Ok so here is an update. The speakers along with their cabinets were delivered to me yesterday. Delivered u say? Yes!

Everyone on this forum knows Shafic bhai. He is one of the most honest and respected members here. He has a love for vintage like no one I know! Shafic bhai has made this wonderful dream come true for me. Got me the corals, and made the design for me. Everything from the wood to the polishing to the final touches were made in his house. I cant imagine how much time and effort he has put in to make a set of speakers for me. And so selflessly.

I am a simple man with simple things. I have a budget and I do things within that. I havent sold a kidney yet to buy an amplifier or a pair of speakers. I am not an audiophile. I am not a critic. I like listening to music however it sounds. I dont like to make comparisons with other friends and what they have. I have what I have and I prefer being happy and content with that.

Some technical details about the cabinets.

Made from 16 original Baltic birch plywood purchased from mr. lunia in Delhi. Measurement is 36*18*12. There is 4 glass wool inside used for damping.

The front grill is made of spruce wood. PU (polyurethane polishing) for the cabinets. Internal walls are well braced and coated with lacquer. Shafic bhai had full freedom to chose the wood,color etc. I just told him sir I want a cabinet.

My system. A cheap old Sansui connects the technics 1200 MK5 that has a nagaoka mp119 rigged to these speakers. Mind you, these speakers are only for Vinyl. Nothing else.

Im just spending all my time now listening to music. I love the sound of these lil beauties! I had heard them without cabinets and I was impressed. But boy, after sticking them in these cabinets, the sound just comes alive! My music preferences are oldies like Neil diamond and kenny Rogers. I also listen to slow rock and pat Boone and Richard clayderman. So I have varied tastes. In the cabinets the sound is magic. Play a good record and the music just beams! Play a not so good record, and the fault comes through.

I dont know what bright warm deep wide attack forward angle placement toe in etc mean when it comes to music. All I know is I am loving listening to my music. Thats all I want to do. Enjoy these beautiful looking cabinets. I can see my reflection in them, such is the finishing! The look beautiful and add to the decor in my living room. And the sound just as good.

I cant thank shafic bhai enough who has made these cabinets for me. Taken the pain of simple measurements and dimensions. Polished them in his own house. And never asked for anything but love for music. Would not be possible without him. I did nothing but pester him for these past few months. I know he is smiling. And I am grateful to him. All he kept telling me was Derek, enjoy your setup and music. Be happy.

There is one final step in my chain for now. Another dear friend Joshua who is again well known and respected here on the forum is building a phono for me. He is another one of those hardworking kinds who believes in perfection. Another selfless person I am happy to call a friend here.I cant wait to plug that in soon.

Attached a collage of the making of the cabinets.
db6a2828b4e2c10e68a9e889ed0d9939.jpg
96dd85b530c42c96056cfcb361fccb72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I am a simple man with simple things. I have a budget and I do things within that. I havent sold a kidney yet to buy an amplifier or a pair of speakers. I am not an audiophile. I am not a critic. I like listening to music however it sounds. I dont like to make comparisons with other friends and what they have. I have what I have and I prefer being happy and content with that.

That is lot of statements buddy..:)

Lot of effort must have gone in getting these done..Great looking speakers.. :clapping: I think you can drool on these speakers than your Mission Lx2 :eek:hyeah:

Would it be right to say that you now have 2.2 for stereo ?

How does it sound for movies?

Elango, I did absolutely nothing at all here. I mean nothing. Everything was done by shafic bhai.

In my statements what I meant to say was I prefer listening to music without sounding overly critical. If there is a lil less mids, so be it hehe. Who cares. I'd rather spend time listening and drinking.

I haven't tried them with the marantz sr6009 honestly for movies.

The marantz sr6009 is mated to the mission and the dali pico center for movies.

The sansui is mated to the big cabs for music vinyl only.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Elango, I did absolutely nothing at all here. I mean nothing. Everything was done by shafic bhai.

In my statements what I meant to say was I prefer listening to music without sounding overly critical. If there is a lil less mids, so be it hehe. Who cares. I'd rather spend time listening and drinking.

I haven't tried them with the marantz sr6009 honestly for movies.

The marantz sr6009 is mated to the mission and the dali pico center for movies.

The sansui is mated to the big cabs for music vinyl only.

Got it..Great work by FM shafic..:thumbsup:

If you happen to connect to AVR, let us know how it is.. 12 inch drivers on your front speakers, is almost having dual subs.. Should be really interesting..

Hmmmm now u have got my curiosity aroused regarding the AVR connection. Ok, Ill do it and let u know. Hehe ?? right now Im on my 9th Records since morning. Bits of def Leppard, Eric Clapton, Capt and tenneille, Julio Iglesias, Elton john, dire straits, to name a few.

The speakers look very nice; the drivers are deliciously exotic. Just wondering if the cabinets are braced adequately? On the other hand, if you love the sound, there is nothing else to say. While mulling over a suitable analogy, this is what first came to mind: This is DIY spirit, 80 proof! Booze tastes best when there's some water in it!
Cheers!
~HP

Thanks Hormus, when u say braved adequately what do u mean? You mean the bottom footrests? If so, then yes, they are quite solid and there is no sway. Im glad I could take some high res pics because the polish is just amazing. The drivers are almost impossible to find here.

Last night I heard some dire straits sultans of swing. Cranked up the volume a bit. Took me back to my college days. Felt so good.

Hi Derek,
Just saw ur post first congrats for great speaker, i was lucky to see them during my visit to shaficbhai (he is very helping n honest person n insperation to many of us amateur). The build n finish is awesome , believe me Shaficbhai has put in all his experience , heart n soul, he is a perfectionist coral drivers are exceptionally good , but the secret is in the cabs .Congrats once again enjoy ur vintage music and get urself high on nostalgia .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi friends,
First I want to congratulate Derek on his nice coral speakers.
It was a very enriching experience, designing and completing these cabinets for Derek.

Thank you very much everybody for the appreciation and engraging comments.

Thanks n regards,
shafic

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back