DIY Cabinet for HiFI systems using a LG refrigerator with a burnt compressor

mbhangui

Finally got around removing the compressor, condensor, evaporator, Seiko defrost timer, two cooling fans, one IR bulb, one 10W bulb and two thermostats from my LG refrigerator which had conked off few months back. Had to drill two holes to bring the power supply from behind the fridge to the front inside the chiller tray.

The evaporator has a 100W heater for defrosting. Don't know if that can be used in the winter.

One advantage of using a refrigerator is that it has a good silent blower in the freezer section to cool the equipment :lol:

The freezer compartment is currently empty. That is where my B1, SSP and Mauro Penasa kit will go or a LCD display for the HTPC.

Few pictures

Attachments

• CIMG0105.jpg
    CIMG0105.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
This is the craziest DIY cabinet i have seen. Well done :). My only worry is the heat!!! Refrigerators are insulated well to ensure there is no loss in cooling. I am worried about heat, can you drill some holes in the back for ventilation?

Also, may you can add Frosted glass door in the front and make aesthetically gorgeous and some led lights

This is the craziest DIY cabinet i have seen. Well done :). My only worry is the heat!!! Refrigerators are insulated well to ensure there is no loss in cooling. I am worried about heat, can you drill some holes in the back for ventilation?

Also, may you can add Frosted glass door in the front and make aesthetically gorgeous and some led lights

Yes I have drilled holes which go through and through (while drilling the insulation material made awful smell when it got heated). Also I have connected the wire to the blower fan in the freezer section to the power supply. The fan circulates air between both the sections and is quite silent.

The frosted glass idea is good. I was about to discard the doors. I will remove the sockets which fit perfectly with the door hinges and see if those can be used when building the glass door.

Really it is a craziest cabinet DIY. :)

Actually, instead of throwing it for scrap, this is the best way of using it IMO.
Eager to see if LEDs can be added as ram said.

Siva

What LED lights are these? Can someone give me an idea and where to get them?

Nice attempt. Is it not too congested for HIFI components to be kept inside this.

I am using an old BPL refrigerator as cupboard for last 2 years.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back